Nintendo 3DS Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
3ds confirmed to use the DMP PICA(R)200 chip

The PICA200 scales with up to four pipelines and processes from up to four programmable vertex units. The 3D core, using their proprietary graphics technology named MAESTRO-2G, the second generation of the Maestro design, implements custom graphics algorithms as hardware for enabling a set of shading features that include per-vertex sub-surface scattering, bidirectional reflectance distribution function, cook-torrance, polygon subdivision, and soft shadowing. Their image post-processing module, the PICA-FBM frame buffer management, can polish the image with anti-aliasing and a set of other 2D functions and can actually be licensed independently as a core for 2D-only devices. In either case, the PICA-FBM can be extended with a PICA-VG vector graphics module.

This nifty little chip can make use of ogl 1.1 shaders, can do Anti Aliasing, and has access to bump mapping. In laymen's terms: Stomps the PSP, has access to some stuff the wii and gamecube can't do, but can't show as many polygons as the latter on screen. The card itself is somewhat old and seems to be low on power consumption, so I imagine it will retail for a decent price and have a fine battery life.

Edit: Ninja'd -.-

At least it has WPA/WPA2 now, so I don't need a whole separate access point just for my sister and mum to use their DS on, that is providing they get one which knowing my family (we only just got rid of our 7 year old 32" CRT because my mum said 'it was good when we got it'). I'm the only one that keeps seriously up to date in my house, and I sure as hell have better things to spend my money on (like tables that show my Twitter feed [shameless plug]).

@Luis, you must be taking a long time with your post if you were ninja'd by a day. :p

@Cue
The DSi already shows that DS format games can't use the advanced technology to access more secure networks. I'll bet it'll be the same if you played a normal game on the 3DS.

@Cue
The DSi already shows that DS format games can't use the advanced technology to access more secure networks. I'll bet it'll be the same if you played a normal game on the 3DS.

And so, reason #483 as to why having the game do everything and not leaving anything to a backend operating system like you should do is a bad idea.

Nintendo will learn, one day... maybe.

Ha ha, right. :<

JEV3 - Okamiden had a HUGE interview in the latest Nintendo Power. I just got the latest issue - 257 (Dragon Quest IX) It also had Final Fantasy 3.5, Epic Mickey, and Scribblenauts 2

I looked at the screen of the game, and this is one reason why I hate when DS screens are shown. EVERYTHING looks pixelated and crappy compared to when you are playing it.

Wow! Finnally i don't need those black/red and blue glasses on my face if i want to play in 3D! Pit is back!

alteredbeast.gif

WISE FWOM YOUW GWAVE

So yeah, this just came out in Japan. Friggin' pumped. Impressions should be ringing in from around the web within the day.

Including goofy warning images from the manual.

vK549.jpg

...okay, so that one's not entirely real (Photoshopped from various images), but it gets the point across (that the point doesn't get across).

Still not sure what I'm getting with the US launch. Street Fighter IV is a lock, but I kinda want to get Rayman 3D with it, despite being hesitant that it's a sloppy port, or Pilotwings, despite my concern that it only has one map.

Last edited:
There's a lot of launch games, but none of them interest me. It's too bad Ocarina of Time didn't make the cut. Or at least a Mario game. We have a lot of third-party games on the list, and the only thing Nintendo has to offer is Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings Resort. I think I'll wait until the good games start coming out.

There's a lot of launch games, but none of them interest me. It's too bad Ocarina of Time didn't make the cut. Or at least a Mario game. We have a lot of third-party games on the list, and the only thing Nintendo has to offer is Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings Resort. I think I'll wait until the good games start coming out.

*cough* Kid Icarus *cough*

We have a lot of third-party games on the list, and the only thing Nintendo has to offer is Nintendogs + Cats and Pilotwings Resort. I think I'll wait until the good games start coming out.
Sooooo "third-party" = "not good"? A good chunk of the DS library says "hi". Notably the three Castlevanias, the Ace Attorney series et al. Also Super Street Fighter IV will be good, undoubtedly.

Also you forgot Steel Diver in your first-party list.

Regardless, it's not the most stellar launch ever, so I can understand if you don't feel there's anything here for you - I, however, think I can work with this. Probably will get Rayman just because, depending on how it goes over during the EU launch.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna get this in about the middle of april or late may only, sadly. Some games I think about getting are probably:
1. Mario Kart 3DS
2. Paper Mario 3DS( Only played Super Paper Mario, liked it a bunch, but people say that the turn battle based ones are much better, so it's worth a shot.)
3. Waitaminute, there's a Rayman 3DS game?
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Anyone mind giving a list of 3DS games and release dates?
Edit: Nevermind, just google'd "3ds games" xD

Last edited:
I guess I'm used to the Wii and its bad third party games, that I forgot the handheld games were all great. Still, I need to save my money to first buy a new PC, so the 3DS will have to wait.

Also, Kid Icarus isn't a launch title. The Wikipedia page states "TBA", while the "List of Nintendo 3DS games" page states "Summer 2011".

Oh yeah, I'm gonna get this in about the middle of april or late may only, sadly. Some games I think about getting are probably:
1. Mario Kart 3DS
2. Paper Mario 3DS( Only played Super Paper Mario, liked it a bunch, but people say that the turn battle based ones are much better, so it's worth a shot.)
3. Waitaminute, there's a Rayman 3DS game?
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

Anyone mind giving a list of 3DS games and release dates?
Edit: Nevermind, just google'd "3ds games" xD
Isn't Rayman 3DS just a Rayman 2 port/enhanced remake?

Yeah, Kid Icarus isn't a launch title.

Not many launch titles that interest me, either. The one I'm getting is The Sims 3.

Isn't Rayman 3DS just a Rayman 2 port/enhanced remake?
Indeed it is, but I loved that game. I actually liked it better than Rayman 3, well, only the gameplay, Rayman 3 was a great game for the lulz. The thing about Rayman 3 is that the "new" score system just ruined it, making it just like "all of the other games".

I ignored the score system in Rayman 3 and just played it for what is there. I loved that game. xD

It was sometimes fun to rack up extra points though.

I hope Rayman 3DS is a completely new adventure though. T_T Rayman needs to stop recycling and/or using Rabbids

My advice for many of you, don't get a 3DS on launch date. Many features will not be ready until like June (Such as the shop and internet browser). Luckily my Birthday is in June so I'll get some money. But first I really need a new computer (running off of a 5 year old PC. 2GB of RAM and 500MB of Video RAM).

I'm kind of in the mood that says I'm reaching the finals of my gaming century. Dunno, I feel like I'm growing too old for games, oddly. I think this'll be the last console I get. Socializing is more important...

Every 1 or 2 years a new DS always comes out. When I first got my DS fat, it wasn't long before the lite came out and I wanted it. Riht after I got the light the Dsi came out. My cousin gets a DSi, then ads start popping up for the 3DS! *checks wallet* SCREW IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back