• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

neo mod 44% complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

verifiaman

The master of verification.
Look in newest post for updates. Please tell me what you think.Edit This is gong to be a mod soon. Each zone will have one act and a time limit.

Wait, you've only worked on it for three days? That's uncool. Digiku spent one year (no, I'm not counting the hiatus) just on one level, Botanic Serenity Zone. I would suggest spending at least three weeks on one Single Player level.

Bear in mind that Botanic Serenity Zone was massively complex. I'm pretty fast on Single Player levels too. My Marble Zone remake took less than a week, and, as you well know, given how frustratingly laggy you found it, Marble Zone was exceedingly complicated.

fawful, your map could have easily benefited from a couple more weeks of development and refinement. The lag was mostly due to your implementation of the spikes and sector handling. The map was actually quite lacking in the department of visuals, and the most detailed area of the map was kind of sloppy.

It would be recommendable to take your time with SP levels, which often take a while to plan and to layout properly, and then there's details, testing, and refining. However I wouldn't say it is fair to dismiss a map just because it has had a short development time without trying it, but I couldn't blame anyone for having low expectations for it.

Desert levels haven't actually been *that* uncommon, they are just far outweighed by mechanical and sky-based levels. (and DSZ look-alikes following the waterslide bandwagon)

For the life of me, I couldn't find an end level sign.

Read and Understand...

1. Please have some indication that I'm not allowed to go somewhere, rather than place an invisible wall. Translucent blocks with glass textures work great.
2. Make waterblocks lie between 16-64 fracunits below the top of its container. Gives you a much better sense of depth.
3. Learn how to use texture offsets. In SRB2 DoomBuilder, go into 3D mode, point at a wall and press "A." This will auto-align your textures to the best of its ability. Though it won't be perfect, it will be a start.
4. Too many cramped areas. Even the original Doom had more open spaces than this map. You have to leave the player room to run and jump. Tough unavoidable obstacles are not fun. Tough obstacles that you can avoid on the other hand, are fun.
5. Spend more time than three days. Some people can get away with less time in exchange for more effort, but overall, you'll want to be working on it for at least a little more time. A week for a first draft is not out of the question, but don't expect it to be your finished product.

Just played it. This level ROCKS! The sloshing water on the floor was GENIUS! I only have one suggestion. Put death pits underneath the quicksand so that you die if you get pulled too far in.

Nega Palace is your first level, right? Probably not. Try something new. And this time, if you're pushing out multiple themes in the level at the same time, they should be cohesive, i.e., they should match. Flooded Mine Zone has a noticeably cohesive theme. It fits factory, mine, and water all together at the same time, and it looks good, because all those themes make sense together. If only that level had some actual gameplay challenges...

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Nega Palace is your first level, right? Probably not. Try something new. And this time, if you're pushing out multiple themes in the level at the same time, they should be cohesive, i.e., they should match. Flooded Mine Zone has a noticeably cohesive theme. It fits factory, mine, and water all together at the same time, and it looks good, because all those themes make sense together. If only that level had some actual gameplay challenges...
So I should fix it up?

Will review again soon...but sir, you overrode the blockmap limitation now. Levels that do not stay in a 32768x32768 area easily can override the blockmap limitation. I made sure Elemental Mansion Zone stayed in that limitation. Some levels larger than 32768x32768 manage not to have blockmap overriding, e.g., Gelespious Mountain Zone, but don't risk it. The westmost point of your level is WAY far away from the eastmost point. As such, you had red springs that didn't work.

Updates! http://www.sendspace.com/file/3qkhuj
here are some screens:

srb20009-1.png

[/img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm277/verifiaman/srb20010-1.png
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm277/verifiaman/srb20011.png[/img]

srb20012.png

Please review. Im working on act 2 right now.

verifiaman said:
[/img]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm277/verifiaman/srb20010-1.png
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm277/verifiaman/srb20011.png[/img]

Messed up on your tags, there.

Fix:

srb20010-1.png

srb20011.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back