Morph's Levelpack [scr_MLP05.wad]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who found the secret in 1 shot? I really like it, but it contains a few gravity problems. With that I mean that it has differen't gravity at sectors that shouldn't have that.

@Kaysakado & Vash:
Well, we have now these hints:
- levelselect
- supersonic
- mole's domain act 2
- "backwards" (curse you Sonic Shadow ^^)

That really should say everything... If you've found it you'll smash your own head "against walls" because it is so damn easy to find.
'Nuff said!

SRB2 Guy said:
I've found the secret. and learned the painful lesson of NOT to do it in a netgame. For the impatient, *shot*.
That made me laugh, actually. It is supposed to be played in SP so I thought about ways to prevent netgames. And it works fine.... doesn't it?

xD

Super mystic sonic said:
Am I the only one who found the secret in 1 shot? I really like it, but it contains a few gravity problems. With that I mean that it has differen't gravity at sectors that shouldn't have that.
- It is supposed to have more gravity in the middle.
- The fact that over or beneath those floating platforms the gravity changes is not my fault. These sectors have the same gravity like the other ones. It seems like floating platforms are screwing custom gravity...

Anyway... glad you liked it. :D

Does anybody want to comment a little more on the spritework? I drew this "thing" by my own and I am kind of proud of it. Do you understand what it is supposed to be? Is it recognisable?
(fe4r my 4wful spr1t1ng sk1llz!)

Got to it, I didn't think it was too hard to find. The dialogue was a little cheesy though... reminded me an awful lot of Ecco Tides of Time.

For the level, please put a starpost after the ten second drop, it is not something I want to be having to put up with again and again before fighting the boss... better yet, remove it.

The gravity made what could have otherwise been an exciting boss very clumsy, and I spent most of my time navigating around those lasers to get precious rings. I am personally against rings being a gameplay element in super stages, maybe put some super monitors there and scatter some small groups of rings.

Urm same goes for plenty of your other bosses. -_-

Kaysakado said:
A chaos chao?
Kind of... I thought why not going on with that clone theme I already used by the last two regular, custom bosses... The trapped chaos actually are telling you a little bit of "content" if you want to call these short speeches so. ;)

Super mystic sonic said:
Decent though not too outstanding sprites, and pretty nice artwork.
Thanks! :)

JEV3 said:
The dialogue was a little cheesy though... reminded me an awful lot of Ecco Tides of Time.
Well... I never played Ecco... I even never played SA or SA2 but I saw the cutscenes of them. I think their mood is cheesy in exact the same way and to be honest I have no problem with cheesiness as long as it is not overbid.
But yeah it is kind of cheesy... I hope it is not too annoying since this act needs a short intro to not appear totally out of place. ^^

JEV3 said:
For the level, please put a starpost after the ten second drop, it is not something I want to be having to put up with again and again before fighting the boss... better yet, remove it.
Again just meant to add a little more atmosphere BUT you definitely have a point there. I have to make it less long/annoying somehow until the next release.

JEV3 said:
The gravity made what could have otherwise been an exciting boss very clumsy, and I spent most of my time navigating around those lasers to get precious rings. I am personally against rings being a gameplay element in super stages, maybe put some super monitors there and scatter some small groups of rings.

Low gravity is unfamiliar when you try to play it the first times, RIGHT!
Why did I put it in anyway? Well... Usually Supersonic can fly in Sonic-games I wanted to bring a little bit back of that feeling by making him able to jump super high. Without these jumps the level wouldn't even be "an exciting boss"-fight but a flat weird something. Plus I don't understand why you think it's clumsy... Low gravity does not have any effect on the character's speed. He is still fast like hell!
To defeat the boss it takes to handle a little bit aircontrol but with speedthok AND supersonic-float I thought it worked very well. As for the rings: If you manage to collect one line of them in a row you will receive 20 up to 30 rings which is enough to perform three or four attacks before you have to recollect some of them again. Just putting monitors into it makes it, from my point of view, stupidly easy.

Morph said:
JEV3 said:
The dialogue was a little cheesy though... reminded me an awful lot of Ecco Tides of Time.
Well... I never played Ecco... I even never played SA or SA2 but I saw the cutscenes of them. I think their mood is cheesy in exact the same way and to be honest I have no problem with cheesiness as long as it is not overbid.
But yeah it is kind of cheesy... I hope it is not too annoying since this act needs a short intro to not appear totally out of place. ^^

In Ecco, every time you touched a dolphin they would talk to you like you were some sort of higher being which I found somewhat odd. (well Ecco was more powerful, but that is odd too :p ) The dialogue at the opening made me think that he was going to turn into Shadow though...

Morph said:
JEV3 said:

Low gravity is unfamiliar when you try to play it the first times, RIGHT!
Why did I put it in anyway? Well... Usually Supersonic can fly in Sonic-games I wanted to bring a little bit back of that feeling by making him able to jump super high. Without these jumps the level wouldn't even be "an exciting boss"-fight but a flat weird something. Plus I don't understand why you think it's clumsy... Low gravity does not have any effect on the character's speed. He is still fast like hell!
To defeat the boss it takes to handle a little bit aircontrol but with speedthok AND supersonic-float I thought it worked very well. As for the rings: If you manage to collect one line of them in a row you will receive 20 up to 30 rings which is enough to perform three or four attacks before you have to recollect some of them again. Just putting monitors into it makes it, from my point of view, stupidly easy.
Well I am inclined to disagree on this point. Low gravity is always going to be less smooth and is usually somehow going to detract from the gameplay. Throw some instant kill lasers in there and it is about carefully floating through the air in the right way. While monitors would make it stupidly easy, it wouldn't be as cheap as giving the player a 50 second time limit and then make them dodge an instant kill laser with perfect timing. I wanted to spend more time actually fighting the boss, but I had to steer around the rings. Scatter them if you have too... but I don't like seeing rings seemingly integrated into a gameplay gimmick. I like dodging hazards for item boxes, weapons, or secrets, not for a handful of rings.

Maybe you could redesign it to add some elemental hazards in it, its a chaos clone right? Have ring drain waterfalls, you could use a continuous fall sector to add a neat dynamic to it. Using a series of falling sectors with different rates is almost always fun. Scatter some rings so that they are all around the level but in a way that Sonic is still going to want to go after those ones in the instant kill lasers. Then maybe remove the gravity and add some platforming or other neat gimmicks to get up there. (maybe going into a certain area propels the player upward with reverse gravity) Maybe you could soc some indestructible chaos-ish enemies that will just go in a predefined path (SRB2 really needs more of those).

...tripod link? Did I miss something?

Anyway, a few thoughts:
Even though the new yellow springs that aren't so far down in the ground for all purposes are better level design and keep more flow, I really liked the lower red springs better. Just did.
As for the little "hint" thing, I'd much prefer a continuous linedef executor with the cut-away view having a linedef length of about 3 or something.

Oh, and can you give Robodome 2 NoReload? It's reeeaaally annoying when you die and everything resets. ;.;

I like this pack. It's very fun... but I grabbed the 2 emeralds in Z1A2 and now I have no idea of what to do.

Yes. I am. There are, at least, two emeralds in Mole's Domain Zone Act 2.

Orange emerald:
srb20000.png

By fsx at 2007-12-21
srb20001.png

By fsx at 2007-12-21
srb20002.png

By fsx at 2007-12-21
Pink emerald is easy to see, but moderatly hard to reach. It is past the Eggman thing that is opened when you hit the ? block switch.

I am tired of getting these "the link doesn't work"-nonsense. I have IE and Firefox and both work just fine...
Anyway I posted another mirror in the first post for those who had problems.

FSX said:
It's very fun... but I grabbed the 2 emeralds in Z1A2 and now I have no idea of what to do.
You don't need the Emeralds to finish the level. You do not need to collect them for the secret either. You can only access the secret if you unlocked levelselect (with all emeralds) in the normal unmodified SRB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back