Mario Level is in srb2 2.2 but not mario?

by that logic, srb2 in essence isn't okay, because it's an infringement of sega's copyright. anyway, it doesn't matter in the long run, because nintendo only takes down fangames that directly remake games, gain money or are coincidentally games they're already in the process of making. this "nintendo ninjas gon' take down your fangame!!!" joke is super inaccurate and personally not very funny.

in addition, none of the assets used in pipe towers zone are original. they're all ripped from super mario all stars.
I agree, sure Nintendo is very scummy and stingy but it's because they have an old mindset (being a company existing for almost a century and a half) but that joke is a bit overused and it's better for fangame makers to be discreet about their games and not make them public unless it's fully done.

I guess it's because of the history with russian bootlegs and companies straight up ripping their assets (like how the CDI Zelda and Mario games made them reluctant for lending their IPs to other companies for a decade at least).

Good thing AM2R was finished and was left for a week before Nintendo came in.

ok no big deal i can understand that the game adds the mario area but not mario so i will keep playing srb2 because i am a fan of mario and sonic so i will wait for a character mod for mario or luigi

ok no big deal i can understand that the game adds the mario area but not mario so i will keep playing srb2 because i am a fan of mario and sonic so i will wait for a character mod for mario or luigi
There already is one. It's just that it hasn't been released to the MB.

Guys the reason why there isn't a Mario isn't because of legal issues. It's because making a whole character takes work. We have a mod that plays like Mario, but actually drawing a Mario takes a lot more work than anyone is willing to do, and including a Mario level is far easier than making an entire character. You'll just have to wait for a mod that isn't a sprite rip.

Also wasn't Pipe Tower revamped?
Actually, Pipe Towers originated in the July/August 2011 OLDC Single Player division where it came in 2nd place with a score of 8.19.

Short answer: It's not revamped, but it replaced Mario Koopa Blast Zone, a series of three Mario-themed levels that were removed during the transition from 2.0 to 2.1.

Actually, Pipe Towers originated in the July/August 2011 OLDC Single Player division where it came in 2nd place with a score of 8.19.

Short answer: It's not revamped, but it replaced Mario Koopa Blast Zone, a series of three Mario-themed levels that were removed during the transition from 2.0 to 2.1.
There is actually a mod that revamps Pipe Towers. This is probably what Icarus was referring to.

Many SRB2 dev members have said on the Discord server that they aren't fond of Pipe Towers Zone, or even the presence of Mario mode in SRB2 in the first place, and would like for them to be removed in the game's next major update. Mario mode causes lots of troublesome bugs that one would not need to worry about if the whole mode were to be removed—look at the SRB2 GitLab and you're sure to see lots of Mario mode-related bugs.

Personally, I agree with the idea of removing Mario content from SRB2. Not because of copyright issues, but because most of the game's other silly easter eggs (like the SRB1 remake, the RedXVI stuff, date-activated secrets, or even literal easter eggs) have been phased out and thus Pipe Towers still being in the game feels very out of place.

Personally I'm more in favor of bug fixes than the outright removal of Mario mode. I don't really see it's inclusion as any more silly than the rest of the game, and it certainly enhances the experience of using a Mario franchise character. Mario and Sonic are pretty much sibling franchises at this point, so it honestly really isn't that out of place.

Many SRB2 dev members have said on the Discord server that they aren't fond of Pipe Towers Zone, or even the presence of Mario mode in SRB2 in the first place, and would like for them to be removed in the game's next major update. Mario mode causes lots of troublesome bugs that one would not need to worry about if the whole mode were to be removed—look at the SRB2 GitLab and you're sure to see lots of Mario mode-related bugs.

Personally, I agree with the idea of removing Mario content from SRB2. Not because of copyright issues, but because most of the game's other silly easter eggs (like the SRB1 remake, the RedXVI stuff, date-activated secrets, or even literal easter eggs) have been phased out and thus Pipe Towers still being in the game feels very out of place.

eww cookie L
theres nothing inherently wrong with pipe towers being a bonus level, and its not a bad level either. they aren't gonna just remove a perfectly good bonus level.
also wasnt pipe towers in 2.0 or was that mario koopa blast, im confused because i think mario koopa blast was the 3 act 2d level... so are there 2 mario koopa blasts?

eww cookie L
Rude and unnecessary, cookiefonster is correct about the developers' stance on Pipe Towers and Mario mode as a whole.

theres nothing inherently wrong with pipe towers being a bonus level, and its not a bad level either. they aren't gonna just remove a perfectly good bonus level.
Some of the bonus levels for 2.2 were quite divisive within the team, Pipe Towers being one of them. I'm sorry if you like it, but don't expect to see it return in the next major version update.

I am serious, Mario being in SRB2 would bring a Cease and Desist from Nintendo.

But then why are Goombas ok?
This isn't that relevant to the conversation, but how did Sonic Boll survive? It's a pretty famous Sonic fangame, and it includes Mario and Luigi. The whole game takes place in the Mario universe.

Let's just wait for a character addon to be made... My vision is to make it like Super Mario 64, thus changing the physics, and having SM64-styled sprites. SM64 is the perfect 3D platformer, and seeing it recreated in SRB2 would make me happy. That would be a lot of work though, and I think it is unlikely to happen.

Let's just wait for a character addon to be made... My vision is to make it like Super Mario 64, thus changing the physics, and having SM64-styled sprites. SM64 is the perfect 3D platformer, and seeing it recreated in SRB2 would make me happy. That would be a lot of work though, and I think it is unlikely to happen.
just like i said i think the perfect physics to play those levels are using sm64 physics

I’ve kinda been considering doing this, but there’s already a couple Mario mods in the mix right now, so I’m gonna wait to see what they do

Rude and unnecessary, cookiefonster is correct about the developers' stance on Pipe Towers and Mario mode as a whole.

Some of the bonus levels for 2.2 were quite divisive within the team, Pipe Towers being one of them. I'm sorry if you like it, but don't expect to see it return in the next major version update.
that's disappointing, sad to see such a fun level so divisive on the dev team. Though, I hope Mario mode would stay, as that's used a lot more in some mods.

that's disappointing, sad to see such a fun level so divisive on the dev team. Though, I hope Mario mode would stay, as that's used a lot more in some mods.
Mario mode is the kind of thing you can easily recreate, or even elaborate on, using Lua scripts or what have you.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back