January/February 2010 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually thought fawfulfan would have improved his level between his showing of the screenshots and the deadline, but he didn’t.

Technically, I made a lot of changes. It's just that most of what I changed weren't things you could see in the screenshots, and the things I changed that were visible in the screenshots weren't substantial. The level was worse at the time of the screenshots, trust me.

Here is the current ranking:

Single Player:
#1 - Eggmansion Zone Act 1 by K.O.TE - 7.71
#2 - Giana Dream Blast Zone by glaber - 5.22
#3 - Rainsoaked Ridge Zone Act 1 by Mach - 4.28
#4 - Mountain Fortress Zone by verifiaman - 3.24
#5 - Jadeflower Zone Act 2 by blahblahbal - 2.33
#6 - Buzzards Bay Zone Act 2 by WEREHOG - 0.88

Match:
#1 - Amber Ravine Zone by Spherallic - 6.92
#2 - Acid Plant Zone by KO.T.E - 6.71
#3 - Frost Forest Zone by darkbob1713/RedEchidna - 6.36
#4 - Astray Canopy Zone by stoneywagner - 5.23
#5 - Land of Light and Rain by Errol - 4.54
#6 - Restricted Cavern Zone by blahblahbal - 4.25

#7 - Neo Green Lake Zone by Scizor300 - 4.09

CTF:
#1 - Sunkist Falls Zone by Spherallic/Blade - 6
#2 - Upload Download Zone by fawfulfan - 5.67
#3 - Night Shrine Zone by Hyperknux - 5
#4 - Coldlava Cliffs Zone by blahblahbal/darkbob1713 - 4.58
#5 - Arial Skyfort Zone by Mach - 2.54

Circuit/Race:
#1 - Thunder Factory Zone by Blade - 8
#2 - Crispy Canyon Zone by RedEchidna - 6.31
#3 - Frosty Aruora Zone by darkbob1713 - 5.46
#4 - Molten Mountain Zone by stoneywagner - 4.54
#5 - Midnight Lagoon Zone by blahblahbal - 2

Complete list of votes: http://pastebin.com/wfQddAdT
Pastebin is failing a bit: to view the most recent scores, replace the '7r10t691' in the URL with 'wfQddAdT' (minus quotes).
EDIT 1: Scizor's MP votes added.
EDIT 2: All votes before this post have been re-added, and KO.T.E's, danie's and stoneywagner's votes have been added.

Last edited:
MP Division Votes

Here are my MP division votes, I don't really want to give much explanation so there isn't an incredibly long post.

Match

MAPM1 - Restricted Cavern Zone by blahblahbal - 3/10
Bit to open for my tastes.

MAPM2 - Frost Forest by RedEchidna/darkbob1713 - 7/10
Holy shit, the music was downright awesome, and the map blends really
well with it's theme.

MAPM3 - Neo Green Lake Zone by Scizor300 - I accidentally/the whole thing
My mapping skills aren't great, but i've improved a bit since my last submission in the Match division.

MAPM4 - Amber Ravine by Spherallic - 6/10
Pretty good, and I like how you put some rings in midair for Tails players.

MAPM5 - Acid Plant Zone by KO.T.E - 8/10
I can't stress how badly the music doesn't fit in this map, use Tunes 137 next time. Oh yeah, Insta-Kill slime = :(

MAPM6 - Astray Canopy Zone by stoneywagner - 5/10
The visuals look great in this map, but I got lost in some places.

MAPM7 - Land of Light and Rain by Errol - 4/10
A decent map, but it's kinda big.

CTF

MAPF1 - Upload Download Zone by fawfulfan - 6/10
Tails players can abuse this map so easily.

MAPF2 - Night Shrine Zone by Hyperknux - 5/10
A pretty decent map, but it's also sorta easy to fall into pits.

MAPF3 - Coldlava Cliffs Zone by blahblahbal/darkbob1713 - 5/10; The textures don't blend very well, but decent nonetheless.

MAPF4 - Sunkist Falls by Spherallic/Blade - 7/10
Visuals are great, but I got lost a bit too easily.

MAPF5 - Arial Skyfort Zone by Mach - 4/10
Hop, hop, spring, rinse and repeat.

Circuit

MAPR1 - Crispy Canyon by RedEchidna - 7/10
Yet again, while Tails rapes this map, it's still pretty good.

MAPR2 - Frosty Aroura Zone by darkbob1713 - 8/10
This being a NiGHTS map alone makes me want to play it over and over again.

MAPR3 - Thunder Factory Zone by Blade - 7/10
The visuals were pretty slick, and the gameplay was also pretty innovative.

MAPR4 - Midnight Lagoon Zone by blahblahbal - 2/10
Sonic Circuit, need I say more?

MAPR5 - Molten Mountain Zone by stoneywagner - 4/10
Holy crap, this is HARD.

Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E = my/map
This level was started awhile back and I was gonna enter it into a later contest due to me having another map in mind for this one. But thanks to me being lazy I never got around to doing the other level, so I decided to finish this one up. This version of the level is really only a "demo" of what all items and goodies you was gonna be in seeing that I didn't have enough time to soc my badniks and custom senery, that and I still needed some more sector detail. Also about the song, when I fist got the song I noticed it wasn't in the right format for SRB2, so when I converted it the tempo and stuff got changed, I would have tried to fix it but I was running out of time so I just looped it and sent it in. and also, I am gonna change a few thing around in this level so you will have to look for where to go again.
Also seeing that somepeople think that "Egg Mansion" is ment to be two words but I just messed up when typing it, I didn't. When I first made the very first version of this level it was two words, but then I noticed that there was a pun in the name, so I merdged them together seeing that it would make it easier to find the pun, and it looks plain awesome like that. :P

I thought the music was on purpose. It sounded good though and it fit with the level prefectly.

* Race*

MAPR1 - Crispy Canyon by RedEchidna = 6/10
Nice level, but it gets boring near the end, and I was playing as a WIP character wad that could climb and glide and I beat everyone. And it was the slowest character there. >>

MAPR2 - Frosty Aroura Zone by darkbob1713 = 5/10
Nice level, but there could be a bit more detail. And it also gets a bit blad spot near the end.

MAPR3 - Thunder Factory Zone by Blade = 9/10
Nice level, I liked all the shortcuts this level had for knux and tails, even though one of them is very OP :P. one complaint is that the Song is un fitting.

MAPR4 - Midnight Lagoon Zone by blahblahbal = 1/10
Ugh, this level was a pain to race in, the path was way to small, and I kept falling into the water, luckly there was at least one blue spring that I found that got me out. But that doesn't help the fact that it is a thokfest.

MAPR5 - Molten Mountain Zone by stoneywagner = 6/10
Not that bad, but some of the parts was cramped and the firejets seemed to come from no where. Also, the last bend was some what annoying sence I couldn't see the check point til it was to late. but other then that, not bad.

I may not get time to vote on CTF, but who knows.

Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1

To short and the song does not fit and their is few or no gimmicks

so 5/10

Short and their is no gimmicks and bland

4/10

grass levels is not your style. Its bland, glitchy, and too large

2/10

Its too much like mario koopa blast zone 1 but it has cool textures and flats

1/10

Its fun but the name does not fit and the pits are too high so it just looks like a black floor.

6/10

to much enemies and Its hard to tell If the blood hurts or not.

8/10

I don't get how everyone complains that Giana Dream Blast is too similar to MKB1. It's one single room and that does not warrant a 1/10.

=Match=

Restricted Cavern Zone by blahblahbal
1/10

Frost Forest by RedEchidna/darkbob1713
7/10

Neo Green Lake Zone by Scizor300
1/10

Amber Ravine by Spherallic
7/10

Acid Plant Zone by KO.T.E
9/10

Astray Canopy Zone by stoneywagner
MINE/10

Land of Light and Rain by Errol
4/10

=CTF=

Upload Download Zone by fawfulfan
3/10

Night Shrine Zone by Hyperknux
5/10

Coldlava Cliffs Zone by blahblahbal/darkbob1713
7/10

Sunkist Falls by Spherallic/Blade
8/10

Arial Skyfort Zone by Mach
1/10

=RACE=

Crispy Canyon by RedEchidna
9/10

Frosty Aroura Zone by darkbob1713
NOT RATING10

Thunder Factory Zone by Blade
9/10

Midnight Lagoon Zone by blahblahbal
1/10

Molten Mountain Zone by stoneywagner
MINE/10

Aw man, I lost my lead. T-T

I won't lie...that kind of stings. You know, to have defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. But I guess I can't really do anything about it.

I think the voting may be over (GMT? what the f?) but i'll get this in now. Before I start, should there not be a rule forbidding people from posting who has what average score while voting is still going on?

Match

Restricted Cavern Zone - 2/10
Dull, largely featureless, not enough rings outside of the center, sloppily built (undeafed items, sneakers monitor that is not random), need I go on.

Frost Forest Zone - 8/10
Slightly lacking rings, but the most fun I had with this division. Very well built and I particularly like what was done with the bomb panel. The areas below need more walls to fix Twilight Zone moments like this:

oldcjanfeb10-1.gif

oldcjanfeb10-2.gif

(above is not a path, it's an invisible unclimbable wall)

Neo Green Lake Zone - 4/10
Breaks pretty much every convention of good map making sense, but in large groups the chaos that results from this totally unbalanced map is pretty wild. Might have been a 5 if the walls did not, you know, practically BLIND me.

For posterity, while playing the map, this happened.

Mystic was hit by iGHOST's scatter ring.
iGHOST was hit by Mystic's scatter ring.
<~Mystic> oh my god, that was the most epic thing ever
<~Mystic> I missed with scatter and it attracted directly to the attraction shield
<~Mystic> at point-blank range
<A Lagshot> XD
<~Mystic> making him launch in a completely insane direction
<iGHOST> You hurt my dignity.

Amber Ravine Zone - 7/10
Nice, and seems to be well balanced (better than the "balancing" i've seen in the 2.0.5 WAD, anyway), but bloody goddamn cramped. Many of the passages need to be widened out, and cut down a bunch of those trees; there's little that frustrates me more than not knowing what is going on ahead of me because a PLANT is blocking my vision.

Minor peeve: the shortcuts that have you spring up through what otherwise appears to be solid ground are a little cheap feeling. Maybe some clever texturing or something to make it apparent that people can come up through the floor at those spots?

<~Mystic> Massively violent stage

Acid Plant Zone - 5/10
I can't say for sure what it is that so annoys me about this place, but I do not have much fun with it. I'm guessing it's a combination of the floorplan making it too easy to get ambushed randomly (bad when you're suffering c-lag), and the layout being stacked heavily in Sonic's favor. Not a very forgiving map, but the fatal acid has nothing to do with it, so don't remove that.

Astray Canopy Zone - 7/10
Very good for a big map. Some areas could use better textures and much work needs to go into thing placement.

Land of Light and Rain WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE WHIIIIIITE WHIIIIIITE Zone - 3/10
Blinding, laggy, makes no bloody sense, tends to crash and has a giant freaking ocean surrounding it for no apparent reason. Playable I suppose, but I don't think I want to know what you were thinking. What a mess.

CTF

Upload Download Zone - 3/10
No wait, THIS is a mess. Decent concept, executed very badly.

The path between the bases is practically a straight line, narrow spaces/dark rooms/both team ring boxes in each base make camping stupidly powerful, the computer world is interesting but oversized, lopsided weapon placement is not cool, ect., ect., ect. Chaotic but torturous after very long. Forget fixing it, just scrap the layout and start over. Preferably with help.

Choice quotes...

<A Lagshot> DARK
<A Lagshot> fucking DARK here

<~Mystic> wtf is this shit?

<A Lagshot> why are there pretty flowers in this wasteland
<A Lagshot> suspension of disbelief fail

<iGHOST> Cuz base camping in this fuckin tiny ass base is the HETERO thing to do, right?

Night Shrine Zone - 5/10
<@Horizonfall> what's with all these thok-forward maps?

^There you have it, pretty much. It works, but it's rather dull and the torches get quite annoying after the 30th time you accidentally burn your butt on one. The bases suffer from Twlight Zone syndrome:

oldcjanfeb10-3.gif

Coldlava Cliffs Zone - 6/10
Since this one was actually good and fun, i'm thinking you need to collaborate more often to avoid making bad maps. Three problems:

* It's fairly straightforward, and in short order you'll figure out pretty much every way there is to get from base to base.
* The lava in the side tunnels (and perhaps the pits nearby) does not have flag return behavior
* I might have made this a 7 if your brother didn't dump crap scores on everything but the bad maps and your maps.

Sunkist Falls Zone - 7/10
Good stuff and looks very slick, but Gemini has a point about the underground route. You can get the flag through that path so fast that it's easy to ignore the rest of the level, especially if one team is on the match point. Since the rest of the level gives you plenty of options as it is, i'd seal those alt. exits off altogether. Also, the base design is snazzy but kind of screams "camp here plzkthx"...move the bombs elsewhere at least.

Arial Skyfort Zone - 5/10
See also: Neo Green Lake. This one didn't hurt my eyes, anyway. Not good, but almost as frustratingly hilarious as Nimbus Ruins. So i'm guessing it's, uh, a joke map?

Race

Crispy Canyon Zone - 5/10
Creative start with the spiral stairs, major letdown after that. It's like after checkpoint 2 you ran out of ideas.

Frosty Aroura Zone - 5/10
Pretty, but very little to it other than a few slow corners and loooooots of boosting straight ahead. This place is also prone to very bad stutter lag for whatever reason.

Thunder Factory Zone - 9/10
Fantastique. Destroys anything else this contest. The only problems I can think of are too few springs in the toxic goop, and the fan on the right after checkpoint 3 hits without much warning.

Midnight Lagoon Zone - 1/10
Race? There's supposed to be a race here? Sorry all I see is 99% scenery and a PILLAR OF MYSTERIOUS, UNIDENTIFIABLE CHECKERED FLUID.

<~Mystic> Pool's closed.
<~Mystic> AIDS.

Molten Mountain Zone - 7/10
<~Mystic> What a violent stage

This could be great with a few more rings, much more texture variety, and clean up the especially cheap bits. Perhaps implement a few other hazards specifically to stop the Element Shield from being completely op. The next to last hard left obviously needs to be less vauge.

Okay, I read blahblahbal's post again and figured out they were not up there to begin with, sorry about sounding demanding.

Now the Singleplayer Reviews,

Giana Dream Blast Zone by glaber 3/10

There was not really thing that interesting or notable in this. Both paths did not really stand out that much even if one was shorter, they both were quick to pass.
Using Mario clone was not the best idea if the actual SRB2 level is going to be too close Mario Koopa Blast.

Rainsoaked Ridge Zone Act 1 by Mach 1/10

This level was devoid of any real challenge or even a enjoyable level design.
This one of those stages run and thok to the end with out much trouble at all.
The check points are so close to each other too, you do even go through a lot and you are already at the next checkpoint.

Mountain Fortress Zone by verifiaman 1/10

This level had mostly platforming in it and running along narrow ground.
Not much to the level.

Jadeflower Zone Act 2 by blahblahbal 1/10

This level is very flat and it seems very empty most of the time.
There was a also a un-escapable pool of water in the level, there should be a way to get out.
It was too hard to figure out how to get to the boss until you realize you are going in circles THEN you have to figure out where to go after beating the boss.

Might want to make sure the level is not too empty or too cluttered.

Buzzards Bay Zone Act 2 by WEREHOG 0/10

Unplayable still.

Eggmansion Zone Act 1 by K.O.TE 9/10

OHNOES! THE EGG KNIGHTS LEARNED TO BACKDASH!

The Egg Knights backdashing was a nice idea, it makes them a bit more formiddable until they fall off a ledge.

This level was very well done. The design was very interesting and it was enjoyable. I really like levels that make you find a another way through instead of regularly strolling straight to the end of the level.

There are some instances the Egg Guards get too annoying when you make it to the second rising blood(?) part, other than that the level was very fun.

EDIT:: I will not even be able to vote on the other maps, I am too late again...
At least I got Single Player in.

Last edited:
Results:

4.193548387 Rainsoaked Ridge Zone, Act 1 by Mach 5 4 5 5 5 2 4 6 3 4 2 8 4 2 7 6 4 4 4 5 4 5 3 5 2 3 3 6 4 5 1
0.846153846 Buzzards Bay Zone by WEREHOG 5 Vote Nullified (0) 3 0 1 0 0 0 2 - 0 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 4 0
2.222222222 Jadeflower Zone, Act 2 by blahblahbal - Vote Nullified (0) 2 3 0 3 7 2 1 9 1 3 2 2 1 3 1 0 1 1 1 1 5 1 4 3 0 2 1
5.25 Giana Dream Blast by glaber 6 - 4 6 7 5 5 8 6 4 8 5 2 4 7 5 6 6 4 5 5 2 5 8 5 5 6 5 Vote Nullified (1) 3
3.2 Mountain Fortress by verifiaman 0 4 1 5 3 3 4 7 3 3 0 4 0 3 7 2 2 4 3 4 3 1 3 4 2 4 7 3 6 1
7.75862069 Eggmansion Zone, Act 1 by KO.T.E 9 8 8 7 7 7 Vote Nullified (5) 8 9 9 5 10 8 7 10 9 7 6 7 7 8 8 8 - 10 7 7 7 5 8 9

3.769230769 MAPM1 - Restricted Cavern Zone by blahblahbal - 3 8 2 Vote Nullified (1) 2 10 5 2 2 4 2 2 5 2
6.769230769 MAPM2 - Frost Forest by RedEchidna/darkbob1713 7 7 7 Vote Nullified (4) 7 5 5 8 6 7 - 8 6 7 8
3.583333333 MAPM3 - Neo Green Lake Zone by Scizor300 6 - 7 2 Vote Nullified (1) 1 8 4 1 3 3 2 2 4
6.666666667 MAPM4 - Amber Ravine by Spherallic 5 6 10 6 7 7 6 8 - 7 Vote Nullified (5) 5 6 7
7 MAPM5 - Acid Plant Zone by KO.T.E 9 8 10 6 9 4 5 9 7 5 5 - 7 9 5
5 MAPM6 - Astray Canopy Zone by stoneywagner 8 5 6 4 - Vote Nullified (2) 2 4 3 4 4 7 8 3 7
4.076923077 MAPM7 - Land of Light and Rain by Errol 2 4 7 5 4 - Vote Nullified (1) 5 5 4 3 5 4 2 3

5.461538462 MAPF1 - Upload Download Zone by fawfulfan 6 6 - 10 6 Vote Nullified (3) 5 4 7 5 3 5 8 3 3
5 MAPF2 - Night Shrine Zone by Hyperknux 4 5 5 7 - 5 4 Vote Nullified (1) 5 4 5 6 4 6 5
5 MAPF3 - Coldlava Cliffs Zone by blahblahbal/darkbob1713 - 5 4 4 7 Vote Nullified (1) 9 4 1 4 4 4 8 6
6.090909091 MAPF4 - Sunkist Falls by Spherallic/Blade 5 7 6 6 8 6 Vote Nullified (3) 8 - 6 - 5 3 7
2.714285714 MAPF5 - Arial Skyfort Zone by Mach 3 4 4 4 1 1 1 2 1 4 2 2 4 5

6.266666667 MAPR1 - Crispy Canyon by RedEchidna 8 7 7 5 9 7 4 7 6 6 6 - Vote Nullified (3) 6 7 4 5
5.4375 MAPR2 - Frosty Aroura Zone by darkbob1713 6 8 6 7 3 7 8 5 5 6 3 5 5 5 3 5
7.866666667 MAPR3 - Thunder Factory Zone by Blade 5 7 9 5 9 10 Vote Nullified (3) 7 9 9 - 6 8 9 9 7 9
1.866666667 MAPR4 - Midnight Lagoon Zone by blahblahbal - 2 5 3 Vote Nullified (1) 1 5 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1
5.066666667 MAPR5 - Molten Mountain Zone by stoneywagner 5 4 10 3 - Vote Nullified (2) 2 6 4 5 4 6 6 6 3 5 7

One of the other moderators can organize that if they want. I'm too tired to do it and I'm just going to upload the XLS file.

Last edited:
Yay, first place in CTF! And I never thought I'd rank third place with Amber Ravine, seeing as it was a rush job.
(Damn you Coat for adding your votes at the last minute ;-;)

Last edited:
You're in a pretty unique situation here, Spherallic. There were only two other winners in the contest, both of whom are already Staff members (which overrides the "Contest Winner" title). So for the next two months, you'll be the only person on the forum with the Contest Winner title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back