It's the little things that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that the frozen water seals off part of the stage. If you do this in GFZ2, you'll break it big time.

And replacing the bustable block sprite with XMAS01 is not a good idea. I wouldn't change it at all if I were you.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ug2kg5tg9s6wgqb

Oh hey look, this again! (Still gotta try and work on the other levels and zones eventually, friggen control sectors everywhere.)

I really enjoy that version of Green Flower Zone Senku.

The level looks awesome in snow. added with the frozen water as well.

Including maybe add a touch to some snow that kinda raise up.

Making your feet kinda hidden if you know what i mean.

Like use Linedefs Intangible, Opaque (220). And use a snow like texture. and then place it on some floors where the snow touches and raise it up a bit.

And then it will look like real snow on the floor. Then just flat ground.

Other then that I think it looks lovely so far.

The other day I asked the IRC channel what they think about the SRB1 Remake. The general consensus was that it's unbearably awful.

Wait people generally don't like the SRB1 remake levels? I thought I was the only one that didn't like it. :P

Although I have to say that I seriously don't think it is unbearable. I think it can be fun with tweaked AI and bosses, but I know it isn't a priority.

Last edited:
Although I have to say that I seriously don't think it is unbearable. I think it can be fun with tweaked AI and bosses, but I know it isn't a priority.
What I meant by "unbearable" is that it's a extreme chore to sit through. Aside from the killing-dead bug and the fact that you couldn't pick up rings while flashing, most of the difficulty in SRB1 came from the fact that there were tons of enemies shooting at you. Dodging these shots is what made SRB1 (somewhat) fun (if your tolerance level is high). Without that, what's left is a bunch of platforming that is trivially easy with SRB2's superior controls (it's not exactly hard with SRB1's buggy controls either, what makes it hard is that you're shot at). And trivial platforming for 20 minutes is really really boring. With bosses and the original enemy behavior, it might be possible to get some fun out of this, provided that you remove the thok. But that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
The enemies would have had stuff shot at you, but my lack of SOC knowledge was one of the reasons why it doesn't have it (and that I wasn't effectively communicating with the programmers to make it happen). Thoking is helpful on the platforming sections where you would otherwise fall into the bottom having to do the entire section over again. I think it would be more of an annoyance to take it out because of that.

Except that the frozen water seals off part of the stage. If you do this in GFZ2, you'll break it big time.
Actually, no you wouldn't. You would make a few hidden powerups and both Special Stage Tokens impossible to get, but virtually all of the main paths would still be usable, and you could certainly complete the level. In fact, there are a couple of sections, such as the cavern full of waist deep water after the first Star Post, that would be made seriously interesting if the water froze...imagine having to slide around in that section.

Of course, it goes without saying that frozen water would break DSZ. But that assumes that we're doing the bare minimum work required, and simply replacing every Water Block with a Solid, Translucent FOF with ice textures and low friction. If someone actually went through DSZ and changed every gimmick to work with frozen water, the results could be very interesting. Although some gimmicks probably wouldn't even remotely resemble their original counterparts...it doesn't really make sense for frozen water to rise, for example.

And for what it's worth, I'm another one of those people who liked Christmas Mode and was sorry to see it go.

Last edited:
Actually, no you wouldn't. You would make a few hidden powerups and both Special Stage Tokens impossible to get, but virtually all of the main paths would still be usable, and you could certainly complete the level.
It would be completable, yes. But quite a large part of the secrets would be inaccessible as Sonic, and the secrets are arguably the main appeal of the stage. For example, because the red spring at the beginning and the yellow spring in the pool with the two SDURFs are both submerged in water and would be sealed off, there would be no way to get to most of the upper portion of the level as Sonic.

Of course, it goes without saying that frozen water would break DSZ. But that assumes that we're doing the bare minimum work required, and simply replacing every Water Block with a Solid, Translucent FOF with ice textures and low friction. If someone actually went through DSZ and changed every gimmick to work with frozen water, the results could be very interesting. Although some gimmicks probably wouldn't even remotely resemble their original counterparts...it doesn't really make sense for frozen water to rise, for example.
The majority of DSZ's gameplay relies on water and wouldn't work at all if the water was frozen. You'd practically have to come up with two levels worth of new gimmicks, which I assure you will be hard to accomplish.

And for what good reason couldn't there be Midnight Freeze-esque holes in the ice of the levels?

That would fix the GFZ2 issue, but not the DSZ issue.The best solution would be not to make the water frozen at all.

And I honestly don't understand why you guys are even interesting in this. I don't see how Christmas levels are anything else but the mapping equivalent of recolors.

Actually, I was thinking that with some careful work, Deep Sea Zone could be converted to Deep Palace Zone, with stuff like bobbing ice and sections where you can only enter and escape water in certain areas. Not sure how far the idea would get, but its something.

inb4redvolcanotobluemountain

Mood. That is why.
Okay, I'll release an edit of Sonic with a Santa hat and if anybody complains, I'll say it's for mood.

Actually, I was thinking that with some careful work, Deep Sea Zone could be converted to Deep Palace Zone, with stuff like bobbing ice and sections where you can only enter and escape water in certain areas. Not sure how far the idea would get, but its something.
Regardless of how well that would work, it would be an entirely different level.

I know. What I'm aiming at is that if you can either stay faithful to the original purpose of Christmas mode (SRB2 levels with Christmas visuals), in which case you won't find a convincing way to pull it off for at least three of the zones. Or you can remake the levels entirely, in which case you have defeated the original purpose. Not to mention that at that point it would be a better idea to use completely new concepts and make totally unrelated Christmas-themed levels.

I was never too keen about SRB2 having a Christmas mode. I didn't exactly hate them, but I found them somewhat pointless. However, a change in SRB2 based on the system clock could've been more unique, had it made more than mere texture changes. I remember that old Halloween mode. That was just terrible. The entire stage seemed to end up with practically a 0 in FOF, and there were times where it made the game all the more frustrating. I can't even imagine Halloween mode for levels like DSZ or ERZ. It would've been cool to have some better gimmicks than just forcing certain properties on levels. More holiday-themed enemy designs, extended levels and areas based on the holiday, etc.

Nonetheless, it's just a vanity concept. Not beneficial in any way but to push the holiday enjoyment, equal to the Ninja set in Terraria. Doesn't give any defense, or perks in your skills, just makes you look cooler.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll release an edit of Sonic with a Santa hat and if anybody complains, I'll say it's for mood.

You've got to be kidding me.

Transforming a green summer valley into a winter wonderland is significantly different from putting a hat on Sonic.

You show people Sonic.plr with a hat, and nobody is going to like it.

You show people a snowy winter version of GFZ2, and people will appreciate it. Congratulations! You've just succeeded in creating a different but appealing atmosphere to the level.

As much as one could try to argue that a hat on Sonic is mood also, the point is completely hollow, because whatever little bit of supposed mood is there wouldn't affect anyone. That renders it entirely useless.

Now, of course mood isn't a big deal for some people, but it obviously is with others. Therefore it isn't a useless tool in the least.

So what you're saying is that a level recolor is better than a character recolor because people like the former and not the latter? I wouldn't be so sure that that's the case. Just take a look at the Master Server and you will see that quite a lot of people in the Casual Room use character recolors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back