Resource icon

[Script] Infinite Laps - Training tool

amperbee

thunderdome denizen
(right-click and enable controls to unmute the video)

This script "removes" the lap mechanic, allowing you to redo a lap over and over.
Every lap, your last time is saved, and if you improve your Personal Best time, it will replace the previous one.
The script also records ghosts of you, the which race alongside you every lap. The best ghost is coloured gold, while the rest are grey.

Hold ACCEL+BRAKE+ITEM+DRIFT for two seconds to void the current lap and return to the map's spawnpoint. Useful if you don't want to loiter around a bad lap, or if you somehow got stuck.
Voiding a lap will destroy the ghost being recorded, as well as preventing you from achieving a PB or modifying your last time - Until you cross the finish line, that is.

That's about it, really. It's a neat tool for when you want to find the best route in a map, or even get the best lap time!

The WAD comes with a map, MAP99 - Drift Tournament. This map was used to test checkpoints, the which I've left in for comedic purposes. It features absolutely nothing noteworthy - It's just a circle, an unpolished circle.
attachment.php

Note: Due to the nature of the mod, only single player is supported. Also, sprint maps are not supported as for yet.
Please do not report issues that you cannot reproduce in a solo game.

Make sure to use the offline server feature for solo play - Warping to maps via the map command from the title screen will prevent item boxes from respawning!

attachment.php

Enjoy!

Attachments

• InfiniteLaps V1.zip
    63.9 KB · Views: 960
  • kart0070.gif
    kart0070.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,003
  • kart0064.jpg
    kart0064.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 4,214
Last edited:
Could you make a mod with just the Lap UI? It's a really nice way to see Lap Times and I think that just the UI alone could theoretically work on it's own in multiplayer.

PS: Is there any command to change the number of laps you get? 50 is quite a lot, even for practice.

Could you make a mod with just the Lap UI?
I'm considering that.

Is there any command to change the number of laps you get?
No. The laps are infinite!
Not 50, that's just because maps with 2 laps would always play the final lap jingle everytime you cross the finish line, therefore I had to change numlaps to something that wouldn't make it play.
And your laps are constantly reset to 1, therefore you never reach the final lap, and by proxy finish the track.

Really cool stuff! A few thoughts:

Are the ghosts you make not transparent? It doesn't look like it from the gif examples and they could obscure the track in higher numbers. Either that or have empty karts represent the ghosts.

You have the ability to reset a lap. Is there a way to 'savestate' a given position with one of the custom bindings so you can attempt a difficult track section without having to turn around and regaining speed?

Are the ghosts you make not transparent? [...]
Correct. I didn't aprticularly think aboutthem obscuring the track though. I might make them transparent for the next version.

You have the ability to reset a lap. Is there a way to 'savestate' a given position [...]?
No: That's cheating lol
But that sounds interesting as a function - Might have to void the lap if you use it though

Awesome mod! Small suggestion: make the PB's time have an Icon on the map. (and maybe the LT's time.)

This mod is very great and i use it to not be alone. Lol.
Also, why do you not make a ranking system ? (Like in multiplayer)
I know that is not very useful and all the players will be gray, but you can see yourself and what the rank you are (+ See the progression of the golden (first).).

Also, why do you not make a ranking system ? (Like in multiplayer)
I know that is not very useful and all the players will be gray, but you can see yourself and what the rank you are (+ See the progression of the golden (first).).
That sounds like an interesting idea, however it would probably suck since checkpoints are hell to deal with sometimes.
I'll consider it, I might be able to cook something up in the future.

Nice ! I don't know that checkpoints was so hard to deal 😅
Alright, i hope this project will be nice :)
But, i will be patient !

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back