HORNMOD: RING EDITION

[Open Assets] HORNMOD: RING EDITION RR.3

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

haya__

The Staircase awaits you
haya__ submitted a new resource:

HORNMOD: RING EDITION - 'HORNMOD is universally hated in dev.'

An unofficial update to HORNMOD. Press the action button to honk.

Features:
  • 300+ abrasive sounds
  • i've gay

play a race lol
For hosts:
horn_hellchance: Chance out of 1000 that a hellhorn (even louder and more abrasive) will be selected at random.
horn_explode: When Off (default)...

Read more about this resource...

DJA19v5W0AEtvCs.jpg

Would be better if it replaced the unstuck or respawn button weather then being tied to buddies since I rarely see the respawn button be used

Would be better if it replaced the unstuck or respawn button weather then being tied to buddies since I rarely see the respawn button be used
It's not tied to buddies, though. It uses your action button to use your horn.

On another topic, can you please add a command that allows you to turn off the bots using their horn? Them constantly using it gets really annoying after some time, however I would still like to be able to horn with myself and other people I play with.

I have to say, I don't understand the argument that followers invalidate this. This seems like pretty obviously a different niche that you don't get in basegame
You can switch sounds much easier. If you want to rotate out horns, it's much more feasible to do so. This also means you can cycle out your horns without Also having to cycle out the little collection of sprites following you around, which is nice.
It's not tied to followers, which means it doesn't have to be related. If you really like flickies but you also want. I don't know, AOSTH robotnik saying YOU MUST THROW THE RACE as a horn. You don't have to go make your own flicky that has robotnik's voice
Furthermore, you now have two context-sensitive sound effects to choose from! Wow! Two cakes!
You can have several sounds wrapped into one horn. There are many things you can do with this
And, of course, it's not tied to looking back, which sometimes you might not want to do. Now, truthfully, part of me wishes it was a tad more restrictive; I do miss the emergent nature of using your horn signifying "I do not have an item and am Still confident." But I wouldn't ask to arbitrarily bring it back or anything. Having an on-command input is a niche I think is definitely worth filling, as opposed to the niche of having one that Only exists if you're right in front of someone
All this to say, I definitely think hornmod continues to deserve to exist, and I'm grateful it's been brought over to ring racers

People rating it 1 star because an ""official"" horn system exists that is barely any similar besides the character making le funny noise is laughable.

casual koopa already explained a bunch, but there's way more

- You can honk as you get damaged, or are while tumbling, which you can't with a follower
- Followers don't have hellhorns
- I just want to extra push how important the "having to look backwards" requirements for followers is. You will rarely do this during a race because you have other things to take care of. The horns from followers are only used during position, more or less.
- Customization of volume, having it on at all, etc.

I don't even have plans to run hornmod yet myself, but saying followers replaced this just because followers are official and too have a funny sound you can leave towards a player like mentioned is just laughable. If you do not want to use it, then don't. Don't slam the author because you feel its use is gone; simply don't host it. It functions as advertised.

People rating it 1 star because an ""official"" horn system exists that is barely any similar besides the character making le funny noise is laughable.

casual koopa already explained a bunch, but there's way more

- You can honk as you get damaged, or are while tumbling, which you can't with a follower
- Followers don't have hellhorns
- I just want to extra push how important the "having to look backwards" requirements for followers is. You will rarely do this during a race because you have other things to take care of. The horns from followers are only used during position, more or less.
- Customization of volume, having it on at all, etc.

I don't even have plans to run hornmod yet myself, but saying followers replaced this just because followers are official and too have a funny sound you can leave towards a player like mentioned is just laughable. If you do not want to use it, then don't. Don't slam the author because you feel its use is gone; simply don't host it. It functions as advertised.
you forgot to mention the fact that you legit have to be right next to someone to horn.

Okay, truthfully, I actually like that you have to be right on top of someone to use the follower horn. it creates a more specific kind of taunt- you're saying a) "i just passed you and am choosing to taunt you about it" and b) "i can afford to set aside the time to honk at you about it."
But you can only have that "as a fun bonus" if you Also have hornmod. If follower horns are your Only means of doing that, then yeah it becomes super restrictive

I asked this before, to no reply, but would it be a good idea to add a toggle for the bots using their horn? While I usually don't mind them using their horn, it does get a bit annoying after some time.

It looks like some sounds are getting cut off. Might just be custom-added sounds, but these worked flawlessly back in SRB2 Kart.

is there a way to choose what horn you have or is it just complete random cause i wanna use the pikmin horn

there sure is! you're going to have to bind a button to open console. (personally, i set it to the tilde key, "~" .) then open it up, and I believe it's just "horns" for it to pop up a list of commands. if it's not that, try "listhorns" or "listhorn" to start showing the list. Or just do "sethorn pikmin" and it should return any horn with "pikmin" in its name for you to choose between, unless it's just the one, in which case it'll just set it.

This mod doesn't work so well in single-player. In the Prison Egg stages, all AI players technically exist as some sort of ghost, all tucked away in the center of the stage (at least that was the case for GEMS Museum), and they keep blasting their horn. The same happens in the Sealed Stars, but they're at the beginning instead.

Back