• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SonicHeroX45's Development Thread

sigh into the Rejected Submissions it goes, yet again, "Not enough original content." I don't really know how to feel about this. This is the sixth time I've edited, enhanced, reworked, remade... I have done so much, but nothing seems to work. An analogy the judge used was that 1:4 was a good ratio for the scope of how much I would want to make to "overshadow" the legacy content. That's ridiculous! Going by that ratio, I would need to make roughly... I can't even calculate that! I'm at a loss for what to do, I don't want to abandon this, that would be so much time, work, and so much more down the drain. I have to keep going, but I don't even know where the path begins. I need some time to think about this, in the meantime, here is the "finished" build. Hope you enjoy, because I don't think the judges did. [link removed -mod]

sigh into the Rejected Submissions it goes, yet again, "Not enough original content." I don't really know how to feel about this. This is the sixth time I've edited, enhanced, reworked, remade... I have done so much, but nothing seems to work. An analogy the judge used was that 1:4 was a good ratio for the scope of how much I would want to make to "overshadow" the legacy content. That's ridiculous! Going by that ratio, I would need to make roughly... I can't even calculate that! I'm at a loss for what to do, I don't want to abandon this, that would be so much time, work, and so much more down the drain. I have to keep going, but I don't even know where the path begins. I need some time to think about this, in the meantime, here is the "finished" build. Hope you enjoy, because I don't think the judges did. [link removed -mod]
Hey uh, bud? You may want to pay attention to the top of the WIP section, because you didn't seem to catch this notice:
1685601664020.png

I also wish to point out that we never, ever, reject any addon based on it's perceived quality. If Holiday Heroes literally consisted of the content you created I guarantee it would be accepted without hesitation. We've always communicated the issue is just the reusable maps.

We have plenty of resources, tutorials, and guides for you to make all sorts of original content so I wouldn't give up just yet!

In my opinion, it would be good if we could be treated to vastly enhanced versions of the legacy maps (using UDMF and other new features). As of now, it feels like I've already played most of these maps in SRB2 The Past and other addons. Give the old maps a top to bottom makeover with slopes and new texture work for instance.

I have decided to revamp the entirety of Holiday Heroes. As the judges have pointed out, the legacy levels make up the bulk of the .wad, and they feel VERY tacked on. I was stubborn at first, but after v1.0 got rejected, I knew what I had to do. As many of you know, I have been working on this project completely by myself for a while, September of 2022 if I remember correctly. If I'm going to make this the best it can be, I'm gonna need help.

Haha, well we're back. I haven't posted here for a while, so I guess I need to give y'all the short and sweet version. I'm starting college, so I don't exactly have the time constantly provide updates and other news. Just know the project ain't in the gutter. To keep you busy, here's some concept art of a new character I plan to add later down the line: Lucas. He's a happy go lucky teenager who is willing to fight for those he cares about most. I know my drawing ain't the best, so please spare me your criticisms. As for the next build, I have no clue. I'll try to get a demo out in the coming months, either Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. Be understanding if it can't happen though, alright? Thanks. I'll see you later.

Attachments

• 69a53b90-cf04-4da0-aa22-4ef21c60cdd9.jpg
    69a53b90-cf04-4da0-aa22-4ef21c60cdd9.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 44
It's SPOOKY MONTH! Halloween is right around the corner, and so is a NEW DEMO! I'm VERY confident the demo will release on time, but if it doesn't, it would probably be within the next week, or worst case scenario (maybe better?) It becomes a Thanksgiving Demo instead. The main thing you'll see here is COMPLETELY ORIGINAL LEVELS. You'll see some "throwbacks" to the legacy levels, such as the Starting Area for MAP01 being eerily similar to what you knew as Ghost Maze. The different playstyles promised (DOOM, Sonic, and NiGHTS) have a chance of being held back for a later demo, in the case that they ARE: levels which they were supposed to appear will be placeholder stages or altered versions of the final stages.

For the playstyles themselves, DOOM would be your "less traditional (for SRB2)" stages where you fight through armies of enemies while hunting down keys or buttons to progress through the stage, some puzzles here and there as well. I plan on adding Ringslinger support (yes, Multiplayer) for these stages down the line. I know the "button hunt" kind of levels have been despised since the Final Demo era, but as weird as you might say I am, I thought they had potential. You already know the deal with the other 2, staples of SRB2: Sonic and NiGHTS. However, you may be less familiar with CERTAIN ASPECTS of NiGHTS, like Nightmare, the "boss phase" of each stage. The deal with NiGHTS is as "simple" as it is in Vanilla SRB2: Collect Blue Spheres (or Chips) on a track and take them to the Machine (or Ideya Capture), then make your way to the goal. I feel like most should know the rest. Now, the Sonic playstyle. Do I even need to say anything? This your "traditional (for SRB2)" high speed platforming where you get from Point A to Point B, collecting rings and busting Badniks along the way!

I intend to have a balance of levels, having around the same amount for each playstyle! There will be exceptions though, like Episodes that are entirely focused on one of the three playstyles. You know, like the Holiday NiGHTS episode from previous versions. I hope y'all are ready! As I am rebuilding the pack from the beginning, this next demo will be ONLY THE NEW HALLOWEEN EPISODE: 8 Spooky Stages, with 1 Secret Stage! The Chaos Emeralds are going to be scattered across the stages once again, so make sure to get them all! I'll see you later, so make sure to check this thread leading up to the release!

It's SPOOKY MONTH! Halloween is right around the corner, and so is a NEW DEMO! I'm VERY confident the demo will release on time, but if it doesn't, it would probably be within the next week, or worst case scenario (maybe better?) It becomes a Thanksgiving Demo instead. The main thing you'll see here is COMPLETELY ORIGINAL LEVELS. You'll see some "throwbacks" to the legacy levels, such as the Starting Area for MAP01 being eerily similar to what you knew as Ghost Maze. The different playstyles promised (DOOM, Sonic, and NiGHTS) have a chance of being held back for a later demo, in the case that they ARE: levels which they were supposed to appear will be placeholder stages or altered versions of the final stages.

For the playstyles themselves, DOOM would be your "less traditional (for SRB2)" stages where you fight through armies of enemies while hunting down keys or buttons to progress through the stage, some puzzles here and there as well. I plan on adding Ringslinger support (yes, Multiplayer) for these stages down the line. I know the "button hunt" kind of levels have been despised since the Final Demo era, but as weird as you might say I am, I thought they had potential. You already know the deal with the other 2, staples of SRB2: Sonic and NiGHTS. However, you may be less familiar with CERTAIN ASPECTS of NiGHTS, like Nightmare, the "boss phase" of each stage. The deal with NiGHTS is as "simple" as it is in Vanilla SRB2: Collect Blue Spheres (or Chips) on a track and take them to the Machine (or Ideya Capture), then make your way to the goal. I feel like most should know the rest. Now, the Sonic playstyle. Do I even need to say anything? This your "traditional (for SRB2)" high speed platforming where you get from Point A to Point B, collecting rings and busting Badniks along the way!

I intend to have a balance of levels, having around the same amount for each playstyle! There will be exceptions though, like Episodes that are entirely focused on one of the three playstyles. You know, like the Holiday NiGHTS episode from previous versions. I hope y'all are ready! As I am rebuilding the pack from the beginning, this next demo will be ONLY THE NEW HALLOWEEN EPISODE: 8 Spooky Stages, with 1 Secret Stage! The Chaos Emeralds are going to be scattered across the stages once again, so make sure to get them all! I'll see you later, so make sure to check this thread leading up to the release!
Looks like Holidays Heroes is back in business! Im glad that this is still countinued,so good luck! :threat:

Looks like Holidays Heroes is back in business! Im glad that this is still countinued,so good luck! :threat:
Oh, I never really stopped. It's just that things have been quite slow since I moved to college and classes started up. I've gotten a foothold on this strange new schedule since then, so I actually have time to work on Holiday Heroes! Thanks for your support!

Oh, I never really stopped. It's just that things have been quite slow since I moved to college and classes started up. I've gotten a foothold on this strange new schedule since then, so I actually have time to work on Holiday Heroes! Thanks for your support!
No problem,man! I have been watching this thread since its very begginings,and i like what is done so far (jeez,its been a YEAR ago,so the time really flew by).

If you need concepts,you can freely PM me.

No problem,man! I have been watching this thread since its very begginings,and i like what is done so far (jeez,its been a YEAR ago,so the time really flew by).

If you need concepts,you can freely PM me.
I'll keep that in mind! I'm off to work on the mod now, so see you later!

MAP01: Crosssection (Doom Style "Tutorial")
The first stage in the Halloween '23 Demo. Very simple in design and serves as the "Tutorial" for the Doom Playstyle (I suppose it's more of a Level Style). Here you will find out the basic progression and structure of a "Doom Style" Stage: Press the color buttons to open their respective color doors so you can progress (Red, then Blue, then finally Yellow), and fight through enemies to get to the goal! Wondering about the Green Door? Find a SPECIAL Green Switch to unlock the room and nab a Chaos Emerald!

Trivia: The early name for this level was "Graves", since every room was (and still is) shaped like a tombstone!
Post automatically merged:

Hey there! Before I get too far ahead of myself, I would like some input. I'm currently working on MAP02: Spooky Skies Zone, a Sonic Style stage taking place in some ruins in the sky during a thunderstorm. I feel the difficulty means I should move it later on in the demo, but I was planning to conclude with a sort of haunted castle arc (real original, I know). Should I swap the two around or leave it as is?

Attachments

• srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    528 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Well, there doesn't appear to be any objections. I'll leave it as is.
The concept of the level sounds cool,though!

If i was in the charge of stage,i'd put a mountain in the BG and make one of the emblems hidden in the level (the emblem is located in a maze level,coming from the SRB2 Halloween Demo)

The concept of the level sounds cool,though!

If i was in the charge of stage,i'd put a mountain in the BG and make one of the emblems hidden in the level (the emblem is located in a maze level,coming from the SRB2 Halloween Demo)
Actually, Spooky Skies Zone is coming along really nicely! I feel the map architecture (that being, aesthetics and atmosphere) is one of, if not my best yet! I've also rebuilt the stage and now it leads INTO the haunted castle arc! You'll find out what I mean within the next few sneak peeks. ;)

MAP02: Spooky Skies Zone (Sonic Style)
The second stage in the Halloween '23 Demo. Tight platforming in the skies during a thunderstorm, followed by an excursion into what appears to be an abandoned hall of sorts. Come to think of it, the place is surprisingly guarded well, is it really abandoned at all? Only one way to find out... An emerald lies in wait along the outskirts, you should look for it. Who knows if you'll need it for SOMETHING LATER?

Trivia: This stage was originally going to have a much stronger emphasis on exploring the abandoned hall (it was going to be quite larger too)! It has been significantly cut down in hopes of improving the flow of the level. You wouldn't want to go TOO SLOW in a Sonic Style stage, right?

Attachments

• srb20001.png
    srb20001.png
    679.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
What a spectacular sight on this wonderfully scary NiGHT! MAP03: Palace of NiGHTS is under construction!

Well, I've realized that making a (good) NiGHTS stage is really hard. I think it would be best for me to finish the 3D environment (or at least majority of it) before building the rest of the courses themselves. I've changed the Palace of NiGHTS itself so it looks much nicer than it does in the gif. I was originally going to have JUST the palace in the map (for continuity after Spooky Skies Zone), but the sky around it looks pretty bland. Would you like more structures littered throughout the sky or more emphasis on the design of the palace?

Attachments

• srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
50% Complete! Palace of NiGHTS is looking GOOD!

Mare 3 is complete! No screencap this time, as nothing much was changed in the map other than the new mare.

Mare 4 and The NiGHTMARE should be done tomorrow, then the Halloween Demo will be halfway complete!

Hey there! Got a question rather than a status update this time around. As the Holiday Heroes Halloween '23 Demo is almost halfway done, would you guys like a demo build of the demo? Of course, this would just be the levels themselves, so none of the emblems or extras/unlockables. The same things will be true for the Halloween Demo beta test after all the levels are completed! So, do you guys want it?

Attachments

• srb20004.png
    srb20004.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back