• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Flash Field: An Ability Concept

Zarosguth

Ammonium chloride is my favourite ionic compound.
Inspired by INTI CREATES franchise "Azure Striker Gunvolt", I am working on a concept for how Gunvolt's Flash Field ability would work in SRB2.

For now I've put the concept ability on Metal Sonic where it replaces the spin dash.

The way it currently works is as follows:
  1. Press and hold the spin button to generate the Flash Field around the player character.
  2. Any valid targets that fall within the Flash Field will get marked with a lock-on object, up to 5.
  3. Release the spin button and a projectile will be fired at each of the targets that were locked onto.
  4. Flash Field now enters a half second cooldown.
You can check out how it currently looks in action here:
srb20104.gif

Things to do:
  • Make Flash Field reduce fall speed while airborne,
  • Make Flash Field use be tied to an "EP" meter,
    • Cooldown will probably be removed when this is done,
  • Just generally improve things.
I have no plans to turn this into a full character right now. Though I am open to collaboration.

Regardless, I hope people find this at least somewhat interesting.

Inspired by INTI CREATES franchise "Azure Striker Gunvolt", I am working on a concept for how Gunvolt's Flash Field ability would work in SRB2.

For now I've put the concept ability on Metal Sonic where it replaces the spin dash.

The way it currently works is as follows:
  1. Press and hold the spin button to generate the Flash Field around the player character.
  2. Any valid targets that fall within the Flash Field will get marked with a lock-on object, up to 5.
  3. Release the spin button and a projectile will be fired at each of the targets that were locked onto.
  4. Flash Field now enters a half second cooldown.
You can check out how it currently looks in action here:
Things to do:
  • Make Flash Field reduce fall speed while airborne,
  • Make Flash Field use be tied to an "EP" meter,
    • Cooldown will probably be removed when this is done,
  • Just generally improve things.
I have no plans to turn this into a full character right now. Though I am open to collaboration.

Regardless, I hope people find this at least somewhat interesting.
Nice progress so far, good luck! (Dont overwork yourself tho)

Progress update #1

Things are quite a bit different from before, and all for the better I think.

How Flash Field works now is as follows:
  • Hold SPIN to activate Flash Field and let go to deactivate it,
    • Flash Field lasts 3 seconds at max,
    • Flash Field recharges when not in use (I will add a meter to the HUD at some point),
  • While airborne and falling down, Flash Field reduces fall speed,
  • When near enemies, Flash Field spawns projectiles that home in on said enemies,
  • Flash Field also damages enemies on direct contact.
Check the spoiler box to see this iteration of Flash Field in action!
srb20105.gif

srb20106.gif

when i saw the word gunvolt my jaw dropped.

Anyways, this looks pretty good! Keep up the good work!!

Progress update #2

Changes:
  • The projectiles' thinker has been modified to make them a bit more accurate.
  • The Flash Field itself has changed visually.
    • It is also physically smaller.
  • There is now a meter to keep track of how much energy you have left (graphics re-used from Inuyasha's Boss HUD example).
    • The meter refills at 100% base speed while grounded, and at 50% base speed while airborne.
  • Running out of meter puts you into 'Exhausted' state.
    • While exhausted, Flash Field cannot be activated.
    • While exhausted, the meter refills at 75% of its base speed regardless of whether you are grounded or airborne.
  • Pressing jump while using Flash Field in the air now enables the use of a double jump.
    • This costs a bit of meter and deactivates Flash Field.
  • Running now leaves little electric sparks on the ground.
Here are some gifs to showcase stuff:
srb20107.gif

srb20109.gif

srb20111.gif

Next off I will probably do some brainstorming on how to have Super form interact with this.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back