• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Emerl SRB2

SONIcsez1234

Spriter who is still practicing
137B0F9F-CABC-4678-977D-640EDEEC8ED3.gif
Here’s some sprites
E5DF97EC-45F4-4D02-9B4C-C52740E16852.png

Here’s the moveset
But the mod needs some coders

These are pretty good sprites! This seems like a really ambitious project though. Characters already require a lot of sprites, and the full moveset you're planning might burn you out really quickly. Are you planning on implementing all of them, or are you going to focus just on a small subset of Emerl's possible copy moves?

I would personally recommend limiting your scope to just a few moves on the sheet -- Sonic's abilities would be easiest, since most of those just require roll sprites (which are already needed for zoomtubes etc). If you complete all of the sprites you need up to that point, then the other character moves become more realistic as milestones.

I get what your saying but no sorry
Post automatically merged:

Cause I already made the sprites for cheese and it would be weird to just have creams abilities as an alt

This concept is very ambitious, but also very infeasible. It'd take a long time to complete all those sprites. Let's start with the minimum: you're doing 9 sets of 5 moves, maximum, which would all require either 5 or 8 angles of sprites- let's just go with 5. And then each move would need a lot of separate frames drawn for them. Sure, some will take more, some less, and some can reuse frames from other moves, but... hopefully you get the point I'm making.

To give every move one unique frame of animation, at 5 angles- that's 9 sets times 5 moves, equaling 45, times 5 angles for a total of 225 sprites. To get One frame. For each move planned. And you'd need at least two, three, four more for each move to have a complete animation. According to the wiki, characters average out at 177 frames just for base-game functions.

It's a very unrealistic workload unless you're okay with this taking years or can get a big sprite team together, somehow.

And this isn't even delving into how tough it'd be to actually implement all those moves in a smooth, easy-to-understand, easy-to-use way...

If you'd like a suggestion on an alternative moveset that's also much more realistic in terms of sprite workload and code implementation (or so I'd like to think on the latter point), may I suggest having Emerl's moveset instead composed of all the other base SRB2 characters'? That is, give them the thok, Tails' flight, Knuckles Glide and Climb, Amy's hammer and twinspin, Fang's bounce and popgun, and Metal's hover and dash mode. Have an option to toggle through them with custom buttons or some such, and there you go. I am aware that this is all very similar to what Clone Fighter already does, but Clone Fighter isn't Emerl, and vice versa.

With all those, you'd only need to make 9 more sets of sprites, most with a couple frames of animation (Metal's would only take one each!) and the standard 5 angles. reusing 9 times 5 equals 45 to make one frame each. And most of these animations only have either two, three, or four extra frames. Let me see- Tails' would take 4, Knux' 1 and 2-3 respectively, Amy 3 and ~5? 6? (i dunno the actual frame counts off the top of my head, lol, I'm just going based on what I can visualize), Fang 1-2 (i think bounce has a very slightly different sprite when landing) and 2, and Metal just 1 and 1. That's a total of... 23 frames of animation max, at 5 different angles. That's still an extra 115 frames! But, as you can see, when compared to 225 sprites just to get one frame done for each move, there's just no contest on what's more realistic. I strongly recommend you change course before you get too far ahead on what you already have.

And may I mention how much easier it would be for the average joe to understand "Oh, this character has access to all the other characters' moves! Neat!" Vs. "Why are there so many moves?! What even is the point of half of them?!?!" Because there really are quite a number of similar-if-not-identical moves on that sheet you've got up there.

If you really, really want to get Battle moves in there, I'd suggest making an extra, seventh moveset, based on Sonic's Battle moves alone- since most of those moves already use the spin animation anyways. Make them based on the Ultimate Emerl versions when they go super, and that'd be a great way to go about things.

Also. The asymmetry of that line on Emerl's front-facing STND sprite's mouth/muzzle area is driving me crazy. Please fix that. I beg.

This concept is very ambitious, but also very infeasible. It'd take a long time to complete all those sprites. Let's start with the minimum: you're doing 9 sets of 5 moves, maximum, which would all require either 5 or 8 angles of sprites- let's just go with 5. And then each move would need a lot of separate frames drawn for them. Sure, some will take more, some less, and some can reuse frames from other moves, but... hopefully you get the point I'm making.

To give every move one unique frame of animation, at 5 angles- that's 9 sets times 5 moves, equaling 45, times 5 angles for a total of 225 sprites. To get One frame. For each move planned. And you'd need at least two, three, four more for each move to have a complete animation. According to the wiki, characters average out at 177 frames just for base-game functions.

It's a very unrealistic workload unless you're okay with this taking years or can get a big sprite team together, somehow.

And this isn't even delving into how tough it'd be to actually implement all those moves in a smooth, easy-to-understand, easy-to-use way...

If you'd like a suggestion on an alternative moveset that's also much more realistic in terms of sprite workload and code implementation (or so I'd like to think on the latter point), may I suggest having Emerl's moveset instead composed of all the other base SRB2 characters'? That is, give them the thok, Tails' flight, Knuckles Glide and Climb, Amy's hammer and twinspin, Fang's bounce and popgun, and Metal's hover and dash mode. Have an option to toggle through them with custom buttons or some such, and there you go. I am aware that this is all very similar to what Clone Fighter already does, but Clone Fighter isn't Emerl, and vice versa.

With all those, you'd only need to make 9 more sets of sprites, most with a couple frames of animation (Metal's would only take one each!) and the standard 5 angles. reusing 9 times 5 equals 45 to make one frame each. And most of these animations only have either two, three, or four extra frames. Let me see- Tails' would take 4, Knux' 1 and 2-3 respectively, Amy 3 and ~5? 6? (i dunno the actual frame counts off the top of my head, lol, I'm just going based on what I can visualize), Fang 1-2 (i think bounce has a very slightly different sprite when landing) and 2, and Metal just 1 and 1. That's a total of... 23 frames of animation max, at 5 different angles. That's still an extra 115 frames! But, as you can see, when compared to 225 sprites just to get one frame done for each move, there's just no contest on what's more realistic. I strongly recommend you change course before you get too far ahead on what you already have.

And may I mention how much easier it would be for the average joe to understand "Oh, this character has access to all the other characters' moves! Neat!" Vs. "Why are there so many moves?! What even is the point of half of them?!?!" Because there really are quite a number of similar-if-not-identical moves on that sheet you've got up there.

If you really, really want to get Battle moves in there, I'd suggest making an extra, seventh moveset, based on Sonic's Battle moves alone- since most of those moves already use the spin animation anyways. Make them based on the Ultimate Emerl versions when they go super, and that'd be a great way to go about things.

Also. The asymmetry of that line on Emerl's front-facing STND sprite's mouth/muzzle area is driving me crazy. Please fix that. I beg.
bro did not sugarcoat it

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back