• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Ember (A Progress Report)

Voidy2246

✨ Collaborator ✨
Hey there, it's Voidy! I figured it was about time I got around to starting this character and finally bringing her into SRB2 as a playable character.

For those who don't know who she is, she comes from A Mod That Ruins SRB2 (or simply known as "Ruins SRB2") by TelosTurntable in which this character would replace the Bumblebore sprites for a cuter, but cursed anime appearance.

While the mod is reusable, I'll be making custom sprites because I'm basing this one off of art of the character herself in which is seen having some sort of fire powers. So, I mainly wanted to expand on that going into her gameplay.

Just like with what I did for FL Chan, I'll be posting progress whenever I get a set of sprites done up until she's ready for Releases. This is so that not only people aren't left in the dark, but it's also so that I can actually be motivated to work on them on a consistent basis.

Luckily, I feel like she won't take that long since not only does she only have two planned abilities, but also that I won't have to make 8 angles for every sprite set.

That being said, enjoy watching the progress!

3/22/2022 - Stand sprites are done. If only I could speed up the ingame animation.
Screenshot 2022-03-22 130152.jpg

3/23/2022 - These took longer than I expected, but the bored sprites are now done. She do be chillin' tho!
Screenshot 2022-03-23 144255.jpg

srb20000.gif
(Unfortunately, the gif makes the skin look gray; but trust me, it's not.)

3/25/2022 - Edge sprites are done. I figured that she wouldn't give a care that she's almost falling off a ledge since she can just fly back up on her own volition. (Btw, I actually took two days for this. Yesterday was angles 1-3 while today was angles 4 and 5.)
srb20001.gif

3/28/2022 - What is normally the hardest sprite sets for everyone was the easiest for Ember. Since she gets everywhere by using her wings, I only had to tilt her body and move her head to give her Walk and Run sprites more of a floaty feeling. It'll be more obvious once you get a closer look at it.
srb20002.gif

3/29/2022 - Ride sprites are done. I gave her a sort of disgruntled expression because she can fly anywhere, so there would be no need for her to ride something (trust me, I'll get to the flight later).
srb20003.gif

3/30/2022 - P A I N (I tried to do them based on the following sprite from Ruins SRB2)
BUMBD1.png

srb20004.gif

4/1/2022 - Roll sprites are now done. This was probably the hardest sprite set to do for her, since I tried to do it based on the following artwork from Ruins SRB2. Anyway, I'm glad they're done. These sprites will also appear when using one of her passive abilities (we'll get to that later).
srb20005.gif

Screenshot 2022-04-01 191834.jpg

There's not that many sprite sets left, but since I've reached the 10 image limit for the main thread, I shall continue to post progress in the replies instead of making a whole new thread.

Last edited:
This looks amazing so far! One thing: Please include ember drip as a taunt. that would be absolutely hilarious to hit after taking someone out.

Hey there, it's Voidy! I figured it was about time I got around to starting this character and finally bringing her into SRB2 as a playable character.

For those who don't know who she is, she comes from A Mod That Ruins SRB2 (or simply known as "Ruins SRB2") by TelosTurntable in which this character would replace the Bumblebore sprites for a cuter, but cursed anime appearance.

While the mod is reusable, I'll be making custom sprites because I'm basing this one off of art of the character herself in which is seen having some sort of fire powers. So, I mainly wanted to expand on that going into her gameplay.

Just like with what I did for FL Chan, I'll be posting progress whenever I get a set of sprites done up until she's ready for Releases. This is so that not only people aren't left in the dark, but it's also so that I can actually be motivated to work on them on a consistent basis.

Luckily, I feel like she won't take that long since not only does she only have two planned abilities, but also that I won't have to make 8 angles for every sprite set.

3/22/2022 - Stand sprites are done. If only I could speed up the ingame animation.
View attachment 65233

3/23/2022 - These took longer than I expected, but the bored sprites are now done. She do be chillin' tho!
View attachment 65406
View attachment 65407 (Unfortunately, the gif makes the skin look gray; but trust me, it's not.)
There's lots of ways to speed up animation, not in the technical side but in the animation side iirc.

View attachment 65233

View attachment 65406
View attachment 65407 (Unfortunately, the gif makes the skin look gray; but trust me, it's not.)

3/25/2022 - Edge sprites are done. I figured that she wouldn't give a care that she's almost falling off a ledge since she can just fly back up on her own volition. (Btw, I actually took two days for this. Yesterday was angles 1-3 while today was angles 4 and 5.)
View attachment 65552

3/28/2022 - What is normally the hardest sprite sets for everyone was the easiest for Ember. Since she gets everywhere by using her wings, I only had to tilt her body and move her head to give her Walk and Run sprites more of a floaty feeling. It'll be more obvious once you get a closer look at it.
View attachment 65819

3/29/2022 - Ride sprites are done. I gave her a sort of disgruntled expression because she can fly anywhere, so there would be no need for her to ride something (trust me, I'll get to the flight later).
View attachment 65913

3/30/2022 - P A I N (I tried to do them based on the following sprite from Ruins SRB2)
View attachment 66014
View attachment 66015

4/1/2022 - Roll sprites are now done. This was probably the hardest sprite set to do for her, since I tried to do it based on the following artwork from Ruins SRB2. Anyway, I'm glad they're done. These sprites will also appear when using one of her passive abilities (we'll get to that later).
View attachment 66179
View attachment 66180

There's not that many sprite sets left, but since I've reached the 10 image limit for the main thread, I shall continue to post progress in the replies instead of making a whole new thread.
This is a continuation of the thread.

4/2/2022 - Gasp sprites are done. Most of the remaining base sprites that need to be done don't require rotations, so they'll be a cinch!
Screenshot 2022-04-02 162716.jpg

4/4/2022 - Transform sprites are done. The animation goes a little too fast to tell, but there's a little flame that comes out of her finger before she flashes. She will have a super form, but it's not fully fleshed out yet.
srb20007.gif

srb20008.gif

(2) - Initial Continue animation is done. I had to copy and paste a lot in Slade just to emulate the twitchy effect.
srb20009.gif

4/5/2022 - Death animation and rising Continue animation are done. With the death animation, she dies in a spark of light like in Ruins SRB2. Her rising Continue animation on the other hand, is based on the following sprite from Ruins SRB2. All that's left of the basic sprites are everything relating to menus such as the Signpost and whatnot.
BUMBE1.png

srb20010.gif

4/6/2022 - The rest of the basic sprites are now done! Now, onto the fun part: Everything Lua related. Frankly, the Lua stuff also won't take long since it's not as complex as FL Chan's was. Both of her main abilities are already coded in and working, but only one of them require new sprites. Of course, that's not all since I plan on giving her SRB2P support, but I'll only show off vanilla stuff.
Screenshot 2022-04-06 171540.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-06 171556.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-06 171615.jpg

4/7/2022 - Sprites for her secondary ability, the Flame Stinger, are now done. The orange you see as she does the twirl is supposed to be fire. There was originally supposed to be a charge function that would allow the shots to break walls and pierce badniks, but once I got it to work, it unfortunately kept crashing the game once a charged shot got far enough off the map. So, this is the best I could do.
srb20011.gif

With that, there's still a few more things that need to be done before she can be ready for Releases. However, I won't be sharing the progress since it's related to extra stuff. Either way, you can expect to see her in a few days time. Thanks to all who have been watching the progress throughout this! I'll catch you on the flip!

Last edited:
The sprites are too good, but I think/suppose it's a process that is still under work, something that can improve with time.
Although yes, I think the sprites need some work. I know that many people don't know how to make a good Pixel Art and I declare myself one of those people.
From the process you take I am too amazed, it looks simple but it's great. I hope you have luck working on your project and I hope to see you in a while.

The sprites are too good, but I think/suppose it's a process that is still under work, something that can improve with time.
Although yes, I think the sprites need some work. I know that many people don't know how to make a good Pixel Art and I declare myself one of those people.
From the process you take I am too amazed, it looks simple but it's great. I hope you have luck working on your project and I hope to see you in a while.
Thank you! And yes, I agree. Making good sprite art is hard. Especially when it comes to perspective like with the different angles and whatnot.

• Cool!
Reactions: PPR

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back