Dynamic lights.

Sirexer

200% MOTIVATED!
Why has dynamic light been removed? in srb2 1.09 there was dynamic light, and it didn't look bad. Will it possibly be added in new versions or is it possible to do it as a shader?

I don't think it is currently possible, although you could still suggest it to be added to 2.3 or perhaps (since it's another render type or setting that wouldn't affect the game that much) added to 2.2 instead...
Anyways, just go ahead a make the suggestion, you might receive a brief explanation onto why it's not a thing or what the devs think it was deleted and if it was even a good idea to delete it.

I don't think it is currently possible, although you could still suggest it to be added to 2.3 or perhaps (since it's another render type or setting that wouldn't affect the game that much) added to 2.2 instead...
Anyways, just go ahead a make the suggestion, you might receive a brief explanation onto why it's not a thing or what the devs think it was deleted and if it was even a good idea to delete it.
There are OpenGL Doom ports that have dynamic per-pixel lighting, so it is in fact possible to add to the engine (but it also means Software rendering will have to be relegated to a fallback mode for machines that do not have OpenGL support).

From what I can see in 2.2.10, OpenGL rendering is at the point where it would take less time and effort to make sure it supported all of SRB2's effects properly than it would to fix all of the remaining issues with Software. OpenGL is the way forward and once it is official, then things like dynamic lights can be added.

There are OpenGL Doom ports that have dynamic per-pixel lighting, so it is in fact possible to add to the engine (but it also means Software rendering will have to be relegated to a fallback mode for machines that do not have OpenGL support).

From what I can see in 2.2.10, OpenGL rendering is at the point where it would take less time and effort to make sure it supported all of SRB2's effects properly than it would to fix all of the remaining issues with Software. OpenGL is the way forward and once it is official, then things like dynamic lights can be added.
Note that I added "currently". I genuinely think that it won't do any good and harm a lot of the game rendering system.
Do you have any articles to quote in regards of your 2.2.10 claims? I wouldn't mind if they were speculations, I just need to see a further explanations of how this would be applied in 2.2.10. Sounds more like something out of 2.3- if you ask me.

I remember thinking it was the coolest thing back in the day, and being sad when it was removed. These days though, it looks a bit excessive. Less is more, as they say. Nonetheless, I would love if it could be supported as a toggle option, perhaps with a slider of some sort to make it less obnoxious.

A custom build of the game would be more suited for dynamic lighting, because I don't think it is needed in base Srb2

pretty odd thing to exclude from the ogl renderer imo considering like every doom sourceport but eh with colored lighting you could easily replicate the same kind of effects in the map design itself, at least for static objects.

with colored lighting you could easily replicate the same kind of effects in the map design itself, at least for static objects.
yea but that takes alot more effort!!!

Personally i would enjoy this as a Toggle- Or hell even a custom build! I think srb2 could look so much better-- Even if it doesnt suit it, It could be for those people who want srb2 to have a little more ~_-*pizzazz*-_~ In it
(also maybe fully client side so server dont instantly die and explode and have a stairs accident)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back