• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Dreamcast Sonic (DC-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized I never posted gifs! Now that I've just finished the super aura, I suppose now is a better time than ever!
srb20683.gif

srb20684.gif

srb20681.gif

srb20682.gif
Tbh, i was never a fan of 3d models put into a 2d sprite, it just looks ugly in my opinion but i think these are just placeholders i hope, projects looking amazing tho

Physics changes are being kept to a minimum for DC-Sonic, as I never intended to make the physics too different from Vanilla. However, he loses momentum a lot slower than the vanilla cast, as well as any of the modded characters out there that don't have anything allowing for them to keep their speed on the ground.

Homing attack is currently in a state that I feel on the fence about. It gives forward momentum, but not a lot, so it's easier to start moving out of a successful hit. It also gives quite a bit of extra height. I'll go into more detail with a video I'm working on to show what I (we?) have so far, and discus the future of the project. Stay tuned!
Post automatically merged:

I just realized I never posted gifs! Now that I've just finished the super aura, I suppose now is a better time than ever!View attachment 55344View attachment 55345
View attachment 55347View attachment 55348
In my opinion this looks ugly like ugly knuckles
but it also looks interesting

Physics changes are being kept to a minimum for DC-Sonic, as I never intended to make the physics too different from Vanilla. However, he loses momentum a lot slower than the vanilla cast, as well as any of the modded characters out there that don't have anything allowing for them to keep their speed on the ground.

Homing attack is currently in a state that I feel on the fence about. It gives forward momentum, but not a lot, so it's easier to start moving out of a successful hit. It also gives quite a bit of extra height. I'll go into more detail with a video I'm working on to show what I (we?) have so far, and discus the future of the project. Stay tuned!

I just realized I never posted gifs! Now that I've just finished the super aura, I suppose now is a better time than ever!View attachment 55344View attachment 55345
View attachment 55347View attachment 55348
Will the sprites stay like this ( please say yes I love it so much)

To be honest...

Those placeholders look good to me! Maybe I just have a bad taste in art...
But they look good!

I can see the reception on 1999 CGI Sonic being chosen as the new face of DC-Sonic is, well, mixed... I tried my best to make the prerenders look as good as they can, and I'm still working on making them look better. For example, just now I made the spindash frames thinner, as a way to tell he's spindashing from the back, as before the back and front angles of Spindash lookes near identical to that of rolling.

I also spent most of yesterday trying to get my hands on the dashing animation form the Dreamcast original, with the stretched out shoes and spines angled to the side, only to find out the stretched shoes are seperate models that SADX doesn't have, and the spines are angled to the side in-game, something that I'm not 100% sure SADX does either. So, I had to improvise and do both of those things in blender, by modifying the mesh , and keeping the bones in the same places. The result? Well, I'll let you see the difference yourself!

Before
srb20684.gif

After
srb20694.gif

I recently removed a 50 frame long animation from both forms that I hadn't even gotten a chance to implement, the underhand object throw. It was going to be used for Magic Hands, but I decided that the mid-air overhand throw, totaling at 16 frames, would fit better as a universal animation for throwing the object, despite me personally very scarlessly running into a situation where Sonic would be running fast enough with an object in his hands, and then pressing jump, and finally pressing the action button to throw it in SA1 or SADX!

50 frames for both forms is obviously 100, and because each frame had 8 angles, a total of 800 sprites for an animation I didn't want to use were just sitting in the pk3 for no reason. So in there place, a command to change the DASH animation to the SADX one will be introduced, as this animation is only 33 frames long and only affects 1 form! This will also allow you to turn off the ghosting effect if you so desire!

If you couldn't tell from the astronomical frame counts I mentioned in passing as if it's normal, I'm speeding up the animations in lua. A lot are so fast that they skip frames, but it feels like the frames they actually skip aren't always the same exact frames everytime that animation plays. If push comes to shove, and the pk3 ends up too big, I'll reduce the famecount on the sprites themselves, but I kinda don't want to do that.

All of the animations are the exact animations from SADX (other than the dashing that I just replaced). I currently have no way of using SA2 animations, as this model doesn't match in bone count with SA2's. I might be able to convert the original model that the creator posted on twitter to SA2, but seeing as I don't technically need SA2 animations, I don't know if it'd be worth it.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the sprites are higher res than the gifs make them look.
Here's a comparison of the actual sprites....
srb20144.png
...compared too how the gifs look
srb20145_2.png

Last edited:
To be honest...

Those placeholders look good to me! Maybe I just have a bad taste in art...
But they look good!
I can see the reception on 1999 CGI Sonic being chosen as the new face of DC-Sonic is, well, mixed... I tried my best to make the prerenders look as good as they can, and I'm still working on making them look better. For example, just now I made the spindash frames thinner, as a way to tell he's spindashing from the back, as before the back and front angles of Spindash lookes near identical to that of rolling.

I also spent most of yesterday trying to get my hands on the dashing animation form the Dreamcast original, with the stretched out shoes and spines angled to the side, only to find out the stretched shoes are seperate models that SADX doesn't have, and the spines are angled to the side in-game, something that I'm not 100% sure SADX does either. So, I had to improvise and do both of those things in blender, by modifying the mesh , and keeping the bones in the same places. The result? Well, I'll let you see the difference yourself!

Before
View attachment 55437
After
View attachment 55436
I recently removed a 50 frame long animation from both forms that I hadn't even gotten a chance to implement, the underhand object throw. It was going to be used for Magic Hands, but I decided that the mid-air overhand throw, totaling at 16 frames, would fit better as a universal animation for throwing the object, despite me personally very scarlessly running into a situation where Sonic would be running fast enough with an object in his hands, and then pressing jump, and finally pressing the action button to throw it in SA1 or SADX!

50 frames for both forms is obviously 100, and because each frame had 8 angles, a total of 800 sprites for an animation I didn't want to use were just sitting in the pk3 for no reason. So in there place, a command to change the DASH animation to the SADX one will be introduced, as this animation is only 33 frames long and only affects 1 form! This will also allow you to turn off the ghosting effect if you so desire!

If you couldn't tell from the astronomical frame counts I mentioned in passing as if it's normal, I'm speeding up the animations in lua. A lot are so fast that they skip frames, but it feels like the frames they actually skip aren't always the same exact frames everytime that animation plays. If push comes to shove, and the pk3 ends up too big, I'll reduce the famecount on the sprites themselves, but I kinda don't want to do that.

All of the animations are the exact animations from SADX (other than the dashing that I just replaced). I currently have no way of using SA2 animations, as this model doesn't match in bone count with SA2's. I might be able to convert the original model that the creator posted on twitter to SA2, but seeing as I don't technically need SA2 animations, I don't know if it'd be worth it.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the sprites are higher res than the gifs make them look.
View attachment 55441
View attachment 55443
its incredeble how this looks actually but here a question how many abilities of the adventure formula? i know the spamdash and the tornado but is there another?

Before
View attachment 55437
After
View attachment 55436

View attachment 55441
View attachment 55443
Anyone else find it funny that both dreamcast sonic and N64 mario use a design similar to their box art counter parts? No? Just me? ok then...

Alright, I'm sure this is not the kind of progress report you guys probably expected, but here we go...

I'm re-doing the prerenders to use the original Dreamcast models. As a result, CGI sonic will more than likely be an optional file. The reason I'm making this choice boils down to being as simple as the 25 MB filesize of the current indev build. However, this also means that Super Sonic can now be recolored, and on top of that, I've been experimenting with the possibility of more DC-characters.... Don't worry though! Any extra characters aren't going to hold back the release of DC-Sonic, and will rather be added in their own updates! I'll actually tell you guys who the first one will be: DC-Metal Sonic! It's likely that he'll have Black Shield instead of Blue Tornado and Somersault, and will be unable to use the Light Speed Attack / Dash, but other than that play like DC-Sonic. All of that is subject to change, however, as it's not finalized...

Also, I might end up scrapping Magic Hands, Triangle Jump, and Rocket Accel. In all honesty, I feel like the abilities he currently has are already enough, and it would be better to just work on fixing the bugs that the current abilities have rather than trying to add new ones.

Oh yeah, and one more thing: I made a logo! I'm really proud of how it turned out, and before I forget, BlueBlur made the basic design back when he was the project leader, so shoutouts to him, and the tutorial I watched that provided the source photos and instructions! This person deserves more attention, really!

LOGO.png

I will miss blue blur's sprites... Ya know you trace models or prerenders to make them more sprite like right? Thats what metalwario was doing at first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back