• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Drago the Cat (Recently restarted)

Restless Dipstick

A guy that exists
After a lot of planning, I recently started working on making one of my OCs, Drago the Cat. I plan on making his main gameplay mechanic his Combi-Hook (Quite literally a combination of the Combi-Ring from Chaotix and a Grapple Hook). I'll try to update this thread periodically to show his development.
SRB2 Drago Moveset Concepts.png
Full Rotation.gif
Jog C.gif
Run C.gif

I still have yet to learn LUA scripting, so even when his sprites are mostly finished, it's still gonna take quite a while before I can actually show his gameplay mechanics in action, but hopefully I'll be able to one day.

Also, some of you may recognize me from a thread I made a while back showing the concept, and early development of Bark. Well, simply put, he's kinda discontinued for the time being. After Light Dasher's Honey the Cat, and Retro18's Bark for SRB2 Kart were released, I kinda lost all motivation to work on him, since those basically confirmed that if it's an actual Sonic character, then no matter how obscure they maybe, someone else has, will, or are even in the middle of making them so much better than I ever could. That's why I decided to just make my OC, Drago, since I can just have fun making him the way I want without the feeling that someone else is almost bound to release a much better version, making mine basically obsolete. If any of you do end up wanting to use my concepts to make Bark a reality, then go right ahead.

Wow, this actually looks pretty great so far! Definitely will be looking forward to its release.
I'm also surprised at the speed of the progress between posts. It's good to see motivation like this, I wish you the best of luck with this project!

I think I'mma step away from trying to make characters for this game. I'd love to, but my lack of coding knowledge combined consistently leads to projects running into a wall where I have all these sprites drawn up, but no way to fully implement these ideas. I dunno why, but I just can't stick with learning how to code enough to just get these ideas done myself. No matter how I approach it, I just end up getting myself overly stressed. Making an existing character, while it does have the benifit of having more coders being willing to do that part so I can focus souly on drawing and animating the sprites, it still leads to the stress of the fact that others will almost inevitably make a version of said character exceedingly better than I could, which'd waste my time. On the other hand, I could do what I really wanna do, which is make my OC, Drago, but I know absolutely no one will wanna do the coding for an OC. I'll just be told to do it myself, which yeah, is fair. So, for the time being, I do not plan on making any character mods for this game anytime soon, because as of now, all trying has done has just lead to self doubt. The idea isn't fully off the table, but don't expect anymore updates on Vector, Bark, or Drago anytime soon.

That being said..
SRB2 Drago ReSprite.png

If I do ever get my crap together, learn LUA scripting, and come back to make a character for this game for real, It will be Drago, and he will look way better than he does currently.

I think I'mma step away from trying to make characters for this game. I'd love to, but my lack of coding knowledge combined consistently leads to projects running into a wall where I have all these sprites drawn up, but no way to fully implement these ideas. I dunno why, but I just can't stick with learning how to code enough to just get these ideas done myself. No matter how I approach it, I just end up getting myself overly stressed. Making an existing character, while it does have the benifit of having more coders being willing to do that part so I can focus souly on drawing and animating the sprites, it still leads to the stress of the fact that others will almost inevitably make a version of said character exceedingly better than I could, which'd waste my time. On the other hand, I could do what I really wanna do, which is make my OC, Drago, but I know absolutely no one will wanna do the coding for an OC. I'll just be told to do it myself, which yeah, is fair. So, for the time being, I do not plan on making any character mods for this game anytime soon, because as of now, all trying has done has just lead to self doubt. The idea isn't fully off the table, but don't expect anymore updates on Vector, Bark, or Drago anytime soon.

That being said..
View attachment 44704
If I do ever get my crap together, learn LUA scripting, and come back to make a character for this game for real, It will be Drago, and he will look way better than he does currently.
Have you joined the Discord server? There’s a lot of helpful people over there that can give consistent help. It actually would be easier to amass a team over there rather than the MB

Have you joined the Discord server? There’s a lot of helpful people over there that can give consistent help. It actually would be easier to amass a team over there rather than the MB
I have, but it's weird. Like, I know there's all these resources in there for learning LUA, as well as people there that probably wouldn't mind helping me learn, but it's like, I still dunno where to start, and it often feels like I'm getting nowhere, rather if I use the Wiki, try learning Lua itself before applying it to SRB2 itself, or ask the peeps there, because what am I supposed t o ask? "How do I script these extremely specific mechanics with 0 knowledge on how to make these scripts?" "Where am I supposed to start," "How do I make sense of all of these concepts and start being able to apply these concepts to stuff I actually wanna do," "How long will it take before these things just make sense," so on and so forth.

I have, but it's weird. Like, I know there's all these resources in there for learning LUA, as well as people there that probably wouldn't mind helping me learn, but it's like, I still dunno where to start, and it often feels like I'm getting nowhere, rather if I use the Wiki, try learning Lua itself before applying it to SRB2 itself, or ask the peeps there, because what am I supposed t o ask? "How do I script these extremely specific mechanics with 0 knowledge on how to make these scripts?" "Where am I supposed to start," "How do I make sense of all of these concepts and start being able to apply these concepts to stuff I actually wanna do," "How long will it take before these things just make sense," so on and so forth.
I can teach you from the beginning if you'd like. Just send me a DM on discord. I'll work with you to get you to the point where you can easily learn on your own from the resources available.

So, it's been quite a while, but I'm sharing this while it's on my mind. Even though I thought I'd leave character creation for this game behind me, I can't stop thinking about trying again. So, after debating with myself for a while, I've decided to finally revive this project.
srb20011 (1) (2).gif

With that being said, don't expect updates to be frequent. Definitely not as often as the first time around. For one, he's getting all of his sprites redrawn (One, because he's been slightly redesigned, and two, I've improved at spriting a lot since this project was first started), and l still gotta learn lua from square one. Combine that with IRL stuffs with my life, and me having other things unrelated to SRB2 that I'm working on, it's safe to say that progress on this will be pretty slow. I plan on working on this as a sorta side thing rather than making it my main focus so I don't risk demotivating myself to the point of abandoning learning lua again.

Last edited:
Please, take all the time you need!
The motivation to keep stuff like this going-- especially with IRL issues getting in the way-- can be very finicky and unpredictable, so your decisions are completely understandable.
Seeing this project revived, however, honestly makes me happy. I like pretty much everything about this; the abilities and the character design itself, and I'm glad you decided to give it another chance.

Please, take all the time you need!
The motivation to keep stuff like this going-- especially with IRL issues getting in the way-- can be very finicky and unpredictable, so your decisions are completely understandable.
Seeing this project revived, however, honestly makes me happy. I like pretty much everything about this; the abilities and the character design itself, and I'm glad you decided to give it another chance.
I really appreciate the fact that anyone's really interested in him.
Mind if I apply for beta testing old buddy?
Whenever he's actually in a playable state, sure. Remember, progress will be very slow since this project isn't the main thing I'm focused on, so don't expect to get your hands on him anytime soon. Oh, and don't announce it to your friends again and draw a whole buncha attention to this. This isn't something I'm actively looking for a buncha people to help with like Vector was, as I do want to learn lua to do most of this myself this time around (Even if it means it could possibly take years before I'm knowledgeable enough to get his abilities working).

Last edited:
I really appreciate the fact that anyone's really interested in him.

Whenever he's actually in a playable state, sure. Remember, progress will be very slow since this project isn't the main thing I'm focused on, so don't expect to get your hands on him anytime soon. Oh, and don't announce it to your friends again and draw a whole buncha attention to this. This isn't something I'm actively looking for a buncha people to help with like Vector was, as I do want to learn lua to do most of this myself this time around (Even if it means it could possibly take years before I'm knowledgeable enough to get his abilities working).
:)
Post automatically merged:

internally crying inside

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back