Day/Night Cycle

Day/Night Cycle 2.1

Frostiikin

recovering elseif abuser
Judge
Frostiikin submitted a new resource:

Day/Night Cycle - Finally. Realism in my sonic game.

Uhhhh... Happy new years, or something.
Huge thanks to Fav for creating this trailer for me.​

So... Yeah. I took WAY too long to finish this, especially given how all that was really needed to be done after the direct aired was about half an hour's worth of work on my end... But uh, it's here now! Yay...?

...My laziness aside, this mod basically just does what it says on the tin, it adds a day & night cycle to SRB2. Fair warning though...

Read more about this resource...

Awww, sometimes a cute cosmetic is always nice. Having Werehog support is a good bonus too! This might be a cute way on a server to say "Hurry Up already!" in a subtle way

W

Wallpapers for my computer
srb20197.png

What do the debug commands do? I know that dndebug_settime sets time and if set to 1 will quickly change to night. but what do other do?

What do the debug commands do? I know that dndebug_settime sets time and if set to 1 will quickly change to night. but what do other do?
freezetime freezes time, timedir changes what direction time is currently flowing (really only does anything while time is currently cycling) and timescale is supposed to make time flow faster the higher the number is but i dont think that works anymore

freezetime freezes time, timedir changes what direction time is currently flowing (really only does anything while time is currently cycling) and timescale is supposed to make time flow faster the higher the number is but i dont think that works anymore
thanks. Also you can easily break the mod by doing dndebug_timedir false and to get normal nighttime its better to use dndebug_settime 1 and wait for night (because if you do else it will just not change the sky)

yeah, i didn't list the debug commands on the main thread because they're well... debug commands, it's very easy to break stuff by setting it to things you shouldn't. In retrospect though, allowing the player to set the time at least directly as a non-debug command might have been a good idea... Maybe as an update or something, lol

For the sake of optimization, only call sectors.iterate on MapLoad and store the sectors in a Lua table and iterate through that instead.
sectors.iterate is abysmally slow as the game constantly needs to make calls between Lua and C which is a massive bottleneck for performance if you want to call it every frame.

Without mod loadedWith mod loaded (day)With mod loaded (night)
srb21362.png
srb21363.png
srb21364.png
Screenshots from a work-in-progress level.
The mod seems to cause light blocks to render less intensely.

Something I forgot to mention in my review: The script affects the brightness of skybox sectors which a mapper may not want. Maybe a way to blacklist certain sectors from it would be in order.

I wanted to change the time to early morning, But when i added the colon, It stopped allowing me to change time even without the colon.
Also the commands keep crashing my game.

Last edited:
cool addon but i feel like a good addition would be to make it so that with werehog loaded, you could change the day to night instantly like in unleashed
And ps: This addon breaks with skybox being on.

Last edited:
Great mod, however it really only works *well* in Greenflower. All skyboxes in other levels are also replaced with greenflower's skybox, so it looks kinda bad in other levels.

Great mod, however it really only works *well* in Greenflower. All skyboxes in other levels are also replaced with greenflower's skybox, so it looks kinda bad in other levels.
If you want to make 9 different unique skyboxes for each and every level, be my guest lmao. I also don't think the gfz sky really looks that out of place in any of the other levels, I picked it specifically because of how neutral it is.

Not asking you to do more than you have already, I was just saying the GFZSky looks out of place in some levels that don't normally use it. Do you really think egg rock with the greenflower background works?

Not asking you to do more than you have already, I was just saying the GFZSky looks out of place in some levels that don't normally use it. Do you really think egg rock with the greenflower background works?
Uhh, have you been to egg rock with the mod loaded? Space levels are completely exempt from the day/night cycle.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back