D00DPack Returns! - v1.1

[Open Assets] D00DPack Returns! - v1.1 1.1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

D00D64

Unresponsible
D00D64 submitted a new resource:

D00DPack Returns! - v1 - Race and Battle with Tri-Color, Galf, and more!

View attachment 121125

-= D00D Pack Returns =-

You can't keep a good pack down, DPack Returns! This pack currently includes 3 Race maps and 2 Battle maps! The race maps you may remember, and the battle maps... you may also remember. I'm working on getting some new stuff, but how about taking some old stuff and polishing it for the next generation of kart tracing? After all, porting maps for kart racing is what I do best! Here's what...

Read more about this resource...

D00D64 submitted a new resource:

D00DPack Returns! - v1 - Race and Battle with Tri-Color, Galf, and more!

Read more about this resource...
Thanks for the upload!
Please be aware that you're defining an object with mapthing ID 2110.
While that ID isn't being used now, there's the potential that a future RR update could write over it since the number is so low.

I highly recommend reading the "Ring Racers Mapthing documentation" section in the Submission guidelines, and taking a look at the Mapthing spreadsheet included.

Bigger IDs that are far from the ranges used in Base Game will help your map pack last in the long run! I also recommend providing a list of your mapthing IDs so that the judge team can document it to make compatibility with all maps easier!

Got some things I'd like to bring up for the maps:

The waypoints on the left of the 8 area and the shortcut aren't set up properly which is messing with bot paths, rankings, and shrink.
Nitpick but why continue to use a bunch of SD2 arrows when you can just use fewer Ark Arrows? Anyways...

Rings are very sparse on this map. The tricks and ringbox can make up for it but the gap between the rows of tricks and items are especially big after the 1st item set.

A tripwire before a sneaker panel row?
ringracers0007.png

Pretty much every tripwire on this map can be cheesed pretty easily. They also have no caps on the sides which means people can strafe into them if they can set it up properly.

Finally, you can mow this entire section with some boost.
The tops of the trees are tagged as trick panel effects. Probably a hold over? Console also warns of a fof error somewhere every time the map is booted up.

You can either mow or purposefully fall off at the cut to get ahead here.

This slope launch happens pretty consistently.

The ending cut can be cheesed by either sidestepping it or bouncing over it.

Finally, should someone with a lot of boost or Grow decide to NOT take the left path for some reason, they're in for a bad time.

Got some things I'd like to bring up for the maps:

[]
Thanks a lot for the info here, I know I needed some feedback, and its pretty difficult testing mostly solo!

3CD issues have been resolved. Been having to do waypoints mostly pre-HVR, I'm surprised the game even considered 3CD a complete circuit looking over the waypoints again. B A N A N A S has had a few changes, as I myself have observed some issues, like being able to vault right over the second tripwire, and seeing just about everybody get shot up and over that one wall near the end, so I decided to mess with the last split a bit.

ringracers0591.png

The tripwires cover much more area, and the wall is much higher. the former prevents easy tripwire cuts, and the latter makes it less likely you'll get launched over, and if you do, you usually land right on top, which is now an instant respawn. I also adjusted the first tripwire to be protected from more angles, and it no longer uses a boost panel since it tended to overlaunch you. I may wind up replacing the cut entirely at some point, but this'll do for now.

As for Galf Legacy, aside from making tripwires harder to get around and trimming that useless one I forgot about, I think Galf is mostly fine where it is. I noticed on my first playthrough after putting in trick panels that I could fastfall from a trick onto the last tripwire, and I've continued to keep it. Some of Galf's flaws work in its favor. The lack of rings encourage you to use more tricks, but lawnmowering around tricks is usually faster. Each of the main road tripwires can be cut without items if you know how. There are secret parts of the map that can save you lots of time, but still require wirecutters. And with the lawnmower area you described, I've modified it to make it a hidden, but more deliberate shortcut. Working on Galf Legacy has been very interesting, to say the least.

But thank you very much, your input has been quite helpful! I'll wait 'till the weekend is over to finalize any changes, so if anyone else has some feedback to give, let me know!

The soc contains a map named "DR_COAST" which is marked as "cut" but my map script caught it and caused my server to crash. You can also use map DR_COAST to crash the game as well.

playing on Galf is so good on max speed, it's really a good showcase for the trick mechanics, especially the side tricks.

Thanks a lot for the info here, I know I needed some feedback, and its pretty difficult testing mostly solo!

3CD issues have been resolved. Been having to do waypoints mostly pre-HVR, I'm surprised the game even considered 3CD a complete circuit looking over the waypoints again.

I had a look myself and the game doesn't care if there's a broken path as long as there's a path the bots can follow to the end, and this is the same metric judges use. I assume it just wasn't noticed either in yours or the judges own testing that bots were outright ignoring a path. Timescale/debugwaypoints are really good tools for making sure waypoints are working in general.

D00D64 updated D00DPack Returns! - v1 with a new update entry:

v1.1 - Fixes for all Race maps!

Now that I got some folks pointing out some issues, here's some patches to 'em!
  • All minimaps have had their colors swapped; I didn't notice all the minimaps use white outlines on black roads now, whoops.
  • 3 Color Drive had its waypoints fixed, now bots should follow both lines properly and take the shortcut.
  • Galf Legacy and B A N A N A S M M M M have had their tripwires turned into U or L shapes.
  • Galf Legacy has had one of its secrets require a tripwire, as well as turning...

Read the rest of this update entry...
Post automatically merged:

Oh, forgot to mention, I moved all of my mapthingnums to start on 26400. Hopefully, there shouldn't be any issues in the foreseeable future!
Post automatically merged:

The soc contains a map named "DR_COAST" which is marked as "cut" but my map script caught it and caused my server to crash. You can also use map DR_COAST to crash the game as well.
Forgot to mention this too, I commented out the level header, so the game no longer sees it.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised the pack doesn't include Cloud Cradle, seeing how it didn't return from Kart.

Thanks for addressing DR_COAST but now it still crashes because of DR_CAGED. Again in SOC, but map seems completely missing, thus crashing my server when the map hits.

I'm kind of surprised the pack doesn't include Cloud Cradle, seeing how it didn't return from Kart.
I've been considering it, I'm still not sure how well it'll play in Ring Racers. It could probably use a remake, but I'm more excited about exploring something new right now.

Thanks for addressing DR_COAST but now it still crashes because of DR_CAGED. Again in SOC, but map seems completely missing, thus crashing my server when the map hits.
Dang, I forgot to delete that... Ah well, next patch. I'll take care of it soon enough.

Speaking of both newness and updates, this one is still a ways off, but I got work started on a new map; Neo Green Hill Zone!

I haven't done much with the easier vertex slopes, and I also wanted to see a few more courses with dialed-back intensity. I also wanted to explore using a combination of bright versions of textures and sector-based lighting from fog blocks to make contrasting wall textures. I may up the brightness on the bright textures to make them more noticeable, but I really like how the effect is turning out.

I've been considering it, I'm still not sure how well it'll play in Ring Racers. It could probably use a remake, but I'm more excited about exploring something new right now.

Dang, I forgot to delete that... Ah well, next patch. I'll take care of it soon enough.

Speaking of both newness and updates, this one is still a ways off, but I got work started on a new map; Neo Green Hill Zone!

I haven't done much with the easier vertex slopes, and I also wanted to see a few more courses with dialed-back intensity. I also wanted to explore using a combination of bright versions of textures and sector-based lighting from fog blocks to make contrasting wall textures. I may up the brightness on the bright textures to make them more noticeable, but I really like how the effect is turning out.
OMG NEO GREEN HILL ZONE YAY!!!

Back