Creative Worlds Level Pack.

Creative Worlds Level Pack. 0.7.3.1

I just gotta be honest, this pack has some serious spikes in quality and difficulty. It starts off managable in zone 1, then act 2 of zone 2 hits you like a truck, then all of a sudden zone 3 is back to being mostly reasonable until its last act? Then zone 4 smacks you in the face with non-stop deathpits. Quantic Funhouse was where I straight up gave up, specifically Act 2. Please don't make me do a switch hunt where I need to manage checkpoints to progress. If you're making me manually use 5 checkpoints in a central location just to finish 1 level, there's some serious design issues there.

Visually, which I assume is the main focus, the mod is stunning. Easily one of the most impressive looking SRB2 mods I've seen. However, I feel there's still some issues with the visuals in terms of readability. Some attacks are not well telegraphed with enough time to react. For example, the tank badniks in zone 2 that shoot at you, their projectiles seem too fast and more importantly, hard to spot. The same problem is true of the zone 4 bouncing badniks that shoot what I think are nuts and bolts out from their bodies? They travel too far and are REALLY hard to see, it makes going for the ring emblem or even just trying to hit them nearly impossible.

There's a lot of cool level gimmicks here, but I feel that as it progresses it seems to be designed with a kaizo mentality of punishing the player hard for small mistakes. I got launched into a facefull of spikes right after an automated speed booster segment with almost 0 time to react. It just seems like a beginner's trap. Some areas just seem to spam as many enemies at the player as the game can handle, like the end of zone 3.

Additionally, I can see that the 5th special stage onward isn't finished, but could you at least make these completable so people can unlock Super Sonic? As it stands, all I can do if I find a token and go to SS5 is wait until the timer runs out in complete silence. Some kind of placeholder where you can obtain the emerald would alleviate this.

Despite my issues with them visually, the custom badniks (and boss fights) are really cool! If some of the issues with their attack patterns can be managed I think you have a great map pack here. I hope you value constructive criticism, as I played the mod quite considerably before giving this feedback, and I genuinely enjoy what's good here.
 
Will be fixed in the next version, I ultimately forgot to patch up that area with invisible FoF walls despite it coming across my mind multiple times.

As for the more recent feedback, I am open to constructive critique as I often try to think if there is anything that can improved in previous zones. Yes, the special stages are a major WIP which I have been honestly neglecting recently (so much to do and keep track of considering this is not the only thing I work on).
 
all I can do if I find a token and go to SS5 is wait until the timer runs out in complete silence. alleviate this.
just angle your character a wee bit with short tapping and yoink one sphere

oh wait nvm yeahh dusty wasteland is a box-in... he did add placeholders tho so i guess this quote is late
 
just angle your character a wee bit with short tapping and yoink one sphere

oh wait nvm yeahh dusty wasteland is a box-in... he did add placeholders tho so i guess this quote is late
I assumed the standard 2.2.x NiGHTS levels would remain until the remaining special stages were put in place, but InsaneEnergy's feedback seemed to suggest otherwise, and the placeholders were thrown together as an assurance that all the Emeralds can be collected.

With that the last bits of the vanilla campaign have been removed or overridden. I have ideas for the 7th zone and perhaps beyond, though I am thinking of more focus on unlockable levels sometime soon.
 
Mr Beagle updated Creative Worlds Level Pack. with a new update entry:

More previews on what is to come and NiGHTS update.

Happy Monday.

The new update converts the placeholder for Quantic Theory (NiGHTS) into a nearly complete stage (still considered preview until I am happy with it) and the placeholder for Electric Cacophony into a proper prototype. Sneak peaks to establish the concepts for Workbench Wackiness Zone and the Mindian Mazen zones have also been added.

In addition, the beagles in QFZ2 opened a new bar.
View attachment 169292
Otherwise, very minor changes that adds lights to the...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
Hi there, I'm currently stuck on this part of Skyward Garden Act 2, I assumed the checkpoint meant I was on the right path, but the only possible routes that are obvious to me is one that seems to be a secret area and the other is inaccessible, please advise, I've tried looking up walkthroughs but all their versions are from before act two was added
srb20041.png
Quick Edit: Never mind, Its apparently the hole that is barely visible and looks like a secret area...
 
Hi there, I'm currently stuck on this part of Skyward Garden Act 2, I assumed the checkpoint meant I was on the right path, but the only possible routes that are obvious to me is one that seems to be a secret area and the other is inaccessible, please advise, I've tried looking up walkthroughs but all their versions are from before act two was addedView attachment 169708 Quick Edit: Never mind, Its apparently the hole that is barely visible and looks like a secret area...
srb20019.gif


Though it would not be considered a critical issue that requires an update, it gave me an idea regardless and decided to treat it as one.

Part of the design decisions for the earlier zones is simply the result of the former map size limitation that largely prevented the full utilization of the grid (Skyward Garden Act 2 was already pretty large), so this kind of design extension now is not an issue anymore.

The original way down there is now walled off with the midtexture barrier present in the area.
 
This soundtrack's range is really cool! From easy-going and chill to dark and sinister.
Are these tracks user-made or were they from elsewhere?
 
This soundtrack's range is really cool! From easy-going and chill to dark and sinister.
Are these tracks user-made or were they from elsewhere?
Some of them are created with Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (very affordable compared to other DAW's yet very powerful, perpetual licensing too when I purchased it). Using a mix of virtual instruments and public domain sound effects from its built-in browser that plugs into the free sound project website.

Exceptions are that some zones use public domain instrumental music both raw and modified (Lawn World, Broadside Cliffs, Skyward Garden). Wondrous Windsock uses VGmusic midi tracks converted to ogg with instruments changed up in Mixcraft 9 (Originally from Vectorman for the Genesis). There is one instance of a track inspired by the Spheres stages of Sonic 3 as a sound effect in Quantic Theory (NiGHTS).
 
Mr Beagle updated Creative Worlds Level Pack. with a new update entry:

Are we there yet? Getting closer to version 0.7

  1. NEW: No more free rides to what is currently there of Electric Workbench and Mindian Mazen. Boss fights for both zones exist now (like usual, I do not do placeholders in this case).
  2. Slight changes to several NiGHTS maps, mostly cosmetic. Electric cacophony had a couple of additions to the actual route though with a new hazard
  3. The stubs for Workbench Wackiness and Mindian Mazen Act 1 have been extended to an entire initial segment.
  4. A new fun ramp to get to where you need...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
BEAGLE... im in a deathloop in the new cinematic entrance to elec.workbench
Testing on my end appears to work without issue when first entering all of the zones related to Electric Workbench. Does it begin to happen when you restart the zone or pass one of the Star Posts? Is this with a vanilla character or a custom one?

Unless of course this involves the portal in Quantic Funhouse Act 3, which is intended to strictly be decorative as the egg capsule will instead appear on a platform surrounding by yellow springs. I thought I already designed the map to make that clear.
 
Testing on my end appears to work without issue when first entering all of the zones related to Electric Workbench. Does it begin to happen when you restart the zone or pass one of the Star Posts? Is this with a vanilla character or a custom one?

Unless of course this involves the portal in Quantic Funhouse Act 3, which is intended to strictly be decorative as the egg capsule will instead appear on a platform surrounding by yellow springs. I thought I already designed the map to make that clear.
huh it seemed to not happen this time... i just spawned in like normal... maybe it was a fluke. just in case heres my report

character info: susie (deltarune chars by DRSTEPHEN)
original occurence: wierd cam angle and constant dying when entering elec. workbench 1 after beating the funhouse boss
current status... accessed elec.workbench 1 from main menu and the occurence never happened this time
 
It might have been an issue triggered by the custom character then? Electric Workbench Act 1 was not designed with a cinematic start (no elevators, boosts, ect...) but begins like nearly every other stage.
 
Mr Beagle updated Creative Worlds Level Pack. with a new update entry:

EWZ 2, WWZ, EMZ, retextures, and other changes

View attachment 188310
View attachment 188311
View attachment 188312

NEW: Electric Workbench Zone Act 2 is complete
NEW: Workbench Wackiness Zone is complete
NEW: Euclidean Madness Zone is out of experimental and complete (do not fret about the tank army in one area, a helpful hound will fight with you).

- Retexturing in Quantic Funhouse, Electric Workbench and Lawn World to take advantage of texture scaling
- Improved the alternative route early on...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
Mr Beagle updated Creative Worlds Level Pack. with a new update entry:

House cleaning (literally), fix Lawn World 3's WAD file again.

- The houses in Lawn World and Greenhouse Scamper have new windows now (and making sure they all have collision)
- Further optimize FoF stacking for all house geometry in Lawn World
- Add basic furnishings for unreachable rooms in the houses (better than leaving them empty since you can see them).
- Fix MAP04's wad archive again so it does not crash, perhaps it is time for me to permanently remove the error made years ago that leads to MAP07 being included with it by default when it...

Read the rest of this update entry...
Post automatically merged:

Is it normal that MAP04 Crashes when the map loads??
No. The WAD archive still needs a permanent clean up because of an old mistake made when converting everything to UDMF years ago (MAP07, or at least an entry for it, is bundled with it, so every change requires an edit in SLADE to remove the excess information). I forgot the issue was there until I did went back to do some texture updates and replaced the file that worked. I fixed it now and confirmed it through basic testing (adding to the changes that were already made).
 
Last edited:
I'm surprised how long has this map pack progressed in the last years. I still wonder if Metal Sonic will be a boss in this campaign, i kinda like the way you made the bosses here. They're indeed, Creative as the mod's name suggest.

However i'm still mixed with the level design, cause while the zones have creative and unique concepts to them, i think they drag on for a while and have some serious difficulty spikes in later levels. Still, i would like to see this map pack finished eventually. I wanna see how a final boss to Creative Worlds would play out.
 

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back
Top