Ini the beninging
NimsayRamsey submitted a new resource:

Bento Box - A variety pack of maps made by Nimsay Ramsey

Nimsay Ramsey presents:
BENTO BOX

A collection of race and battle maps
Chrome Gadget [DK]
View attachment 85116View attachment 85117

After the events of Sonic 3&K, Chrome Gadget, a hydropower plant, was built near Launch Base (NOTE: these facts may or may not just be headcanon)

Encore version transforms night into day​

Read more about this resource...
Post automatically merged:

This wasn't supposed to go public yet. Flying Frigate isn't finished and some SFX may be too loud. However, since it's so close to finished and everything works, I changed the version to match the filename so it can go public anyways

Last edited:
Not leaving a review as this is a beta version, but I did want to give some feedback for this one.

First of all, you map looks fantastic. It is super appealing to the eye, and nothing looks basic or out of place. Hats off to your work here. Also some of the setpieces are pretty unique and entertaining imo.

There are a few points that I would like to give though as critiques:

* IMO you shouldn't change the game title screen. I would have likely hosted this addon if it were not for this alone. It looks great! But to do this while I'm loading into a server is off-putting for my tastes. FTR I don't like it when anyone does this e.g. mk64 chars or battle +. For you I suggest putting it on a billboard somewhere on your map, bc it really does look good.

* I'm not sure if I missed one, but the map seems to be missing a cut? For a 5 lapper one will be enough. Otherwise you risk making your map too frontrunny.

* imo the turn for the bottom path just as it's merging back into the main path is too blind and punishing. I saw that you put some arrows pointing left just before it, though in its current state imo there's more that can be done to make the path more readable. I think for this it might be served well to 1. make the turn less sharp and sudden, 2. add a rail to make it less punishing, 3. raise the ceiling there to let people see the upcoming turn.

* the item boxes on top of moving pillars is a cool idea. I especially like how you can see the movement from the bottom path. Though imo it's a bit too hard to predict, and a bit too punishing if you fail. I like how it's done earlier with the water. But for the pillars it's a bit exasperating that there is no alternative for items there. I think there's a good opportunity to make a risk reward moment by placing some item boxes not attached to the pillars outside of the optimal line. If they are made more predictable too, you have an A+ setpiece.

I know I said a lot here, but it's because I see a lot of potential here. The map is already great in its current state in a lot of ways I can't articulate. You should feel proud of yourself for accomplishing this. Above are just the things I think you can do to make it better. I wish you good luck here. You've got it in you.

Best,
-cglitcher

Looking at Chrome Gadget, it's awesome seeing another of Sonic 3's Competition maps faithfully brought over to Kart. That said I did come across a few issues while playing.

kart0001.gif

The purple path at the opening of the track leads to this blind drop before entering the building with the pistons. If it was made slightly less steeper going the way down so you can see more of the road as you approach it, it would alleviate the issue of not being able to see items/traps laid on it.
kart0004.gif

If you use a sneaker on this ramp as you drive off it, it'll send you straight into the opening on the roof. Maybe the part I bonked in the screenshot could be turned into a shortcut path with an extra boost on the roof of the building?
kart0027.png

Speaking of the building with all the pistons, there's a noticeable drought of item monitors to pick up on the lower level. Perhaps doubling up the ones near the wall and tripling the ones in the center would give most players taking the lower level a chance to grab items while driving in crowds. I'd also say the same about the upper level but you also have the center section with the lineup of items, though I'd prefer if there were some extra monitors placed beside (or even on) the pistons on the upper level so there's a more likely chance you'll get at least one item without having to worry about having them snatched by a rival racer (especially for those not close enough to the center.
kart0028.png

There is almost no reason to switch sides on the lower level of the building, as there are no items or sneaker panels to help those taking it keep up with those that commit to one side of the building.
kart0026.png

The right exit from the building's lower level could be smoothened and flattened out into an upwards ramp, similar to the same exit on the left, so it doesn't cover up most of the turn that follows up, especially when close up.
kart0029.png

I'd also recommend placing a long and thick line of item monitors across here or somewhere inside the spiral turn downwards preceding it since it'd be a more reliable way of getting items than having to rely on the ones bobbing up and down out of the water at the start of each lap.

And that's all I really have to say- Great map, it just needs some ironing out with fewer blind turns and more chances of getting items. As for the custom title screen, it looks nice but I'd rather it just be an optional download so I can choose to keep it as SRB2Kart's default.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back