• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Ashura the Hedgehog (Sonic Boll) - Development Thread

Huh? Who's this fine fellow? The Green Sonic guy?
View attachment 59887
This character aims to take the Sonic Boll (v2.0 available here) version of Ashura and put him into SRB2, with tweaks made for the differences between the games. I am the coder for the project.
Spriters include: CyanideJam (main spriter), -S-, dajumpjumpette/DaJumpJump, and &Rapseo.
CSS art created by CyanideJam.

Instashield sprites made by DirkTheHusky, original code made by Katmint.
Original spindash source port made by SMS Alfredo.
Z wall detection code was made by TripelTheFox in 2.1, for mighty.lua.

Current progress:
Slippery physics: Done
Core abilities: Mostly included (some tweaks in progress)
Sprites: Some included. Roughly 10-15%, I'd say?
Visual effects for abilities: Mostly done
Shield effects: Partially finished (around 25-35%)
There might be more in the future, but for now this is it.

For those unfamiliar with Sonic Boll, Ashura's moveset comprises of a few different moves: The teleport, the midair spindash, the swim, and the bounce. The bounce swaps with the swim underwater, and the rest of his abilities can be used freely. Teleporting allows you to clip through terrain, not just go through walls. In competitive gametypes, however, you can only teleport into areas that have open space.

Here are a few gifs, with more attached at the bottom of the post. Certain aspects are still subject to change.

View attachment 59941
View attachment 59948View attachment 59942
Man,this mod is really cool and very faithful to the Ashura of Sonic boll.But something cool i need in this mod is the superform:in the sperform you an make infinite teleports.

I tried making Ashura before but it looks like your making a much better version. I'm bad at Lua so I think this can do better.
I did get a skin-color down so you dont need to add the black to the sprites yourself. I can give it if you want.
Anyways this is cool.

Man,this mod is really cool and very faithful to the Ashura of Sonic boll.But something cool i need in this mod is the superform:in the sperform you an make infinite teleports.
Hey, who knows! Maybe he already can...

Is ashura going to gain a unique form from collecting a fire-flower?
Not exactly a unique form, but he does have the same buffs a fire flower would normally give him. Here's an example (and yes, the teal color too):
srb22477.gif

Oh yeah, he's also going to have some mod support! I hope you guys like, uh...failing tricks.
srb22476.gif

(Note: Some sprites shown may be placeholder.)

Figured I should post a little bit more of the sprites he has, so here you guys go!

Hey, who knows! Maybe he already can...

Not exactly a unique form, but he does have the same buffs a fire flower would normally give him. Here's an example (and yes, the teal color too):
View attachment 60698

Oh yeah, he's also going to have some mod support! I hope you guys like, uh...failing tricks.
View attachment 60699
(Note: Some sprites shown may be placeholder.)

Figured I should post a little bit more of the sprites he has, so here you guys go!
Very exited on progress! The new sprites are looking amazing so far, and Ashura played really great in Sonic boll, this gives me a lot of high hopes for this mod. I'm exited to play as him, and I wish you luck on release!

i mean, i'm fairly sure that it'd be fairly hard to put a bounce, dropdash, swim AND teleport into a character without the use of any custom buttons
dropdash being c1 or something makes sense, but boll (the game this mod is using as a base for the abilities) crammed the other 3 into a two button setup.

Will there be actions on custom 1 2 and 3?
Not on all three. I kept the buttons similar to Boll's setup, more or less.

Ashura's moveset uses Custom Button 1 for teleporting, Spin for the Air Spindash, and Jump for bouncing and swimming; the action changes depending on if you're in the water or not. There's a chance this is still subject to change though.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back