Anyone else disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spiky robot is just soooo mean; too fast and impossible to get hit. What it's best is that they are still hittable under their red phase or just take it out

I think it´s that way so you can´t just spin in your place and kill them (like many other enemies in the game, like mole badniks, two hits badniks, red flying badniks...). You must use thock/fly/climb to survive them. They aren´t overused, so I don´t see a problem.

Then is those robots with big shields: There should have something else to destroy those other than a glide; come on, they are robots, they MUST be destroyed.

I agree with this one, although I´m sure there´s another way we don´t know. Personally, I don´t ever bother about them.

Second, the final boss. Wow, one ring in here, one SINGLE ring that you can easily lose it, isn't that FUN? Oh, and how is that that the Glue can also glue you in the air, which can lead you to death? And if I'm not wrong, this boss has the wrong colors, so it needs to be recolored to the right palette.

Last bosses on most Sonic games didn´t give you any ring, so personally I thought they were being good for giving you one. If you aren´t caught in the air, it´s easy to pick it before it vanishes.

Glue was somehow cheap for me, but it´s the only real way of the boss to inflict damage on you. The other ones are really easy to avoid as any character. In fact, it´s easy to avoid the glue until the last two hits.

I totally agree with the palette. It looks as bad as the old Knuckles, and that´s just because the colours.

Brown the dog said:
And if I'm not wrong, this boss has the wrong colors, so it needs to be recolored to the right palette.

I'm not sure about that. Last time I do recall it being that color.

Ezer.Arch said:
Heh... first, try to take off their shields by hitting their backs and then, pop them.
Easier said than done, really. These guys turn fast enough to not let you hit them.

Knuckles MetalMind said:
I think it´s that way so you can´t just spin in your place and kill them (like many other enemies in the game, like mole badniks, two hits badniks, red flying badniks...). You must use thock/fly/climb to survive them. They aren´t overused, so I don´t see a problem.
They aren't overused, but they are still overpowered, and you can hardly avoid their attack.

Pac said:
I actually wanted to say that the boss isn't in the SRB2 palette, my bad.

I suggest you don't complain about the last boss's sprites, considering you wouldn't even have that boss if we had used hand drawn sprites and not a model. Time constraints and all that. I really cannot believe that after complaining that we pushed it back to SAGE, you're complaining about unfinished and rushed things, would you rather we had pushed it back even further? Because you wouldn't have it till probably Christmas then.

FuriousFox said:
Sonict said:
DSZ was made way before Acid Missile. In fact Acid Missile is the rip off here since it ripped off DSZ. Get your facts straight next time.
Actually, Sonict, I made Storm Ruins Zone before work on the modern Deep Sea Zone began. Heck, Sonikku actually had me give him a few pointers when he started work on Act 1. I'm pretty sure DSZ2 wasn't even started before 1.09.4 came out, which uses the underwater crumbling bobbing platform gimmick from SRZ1.

DSZ was indeed started as far back as early 1999 (in fact, the pool that you end up in at the start of DSZ2 is the original starting point of DSZ1), but it wasn't finished until 2007-2008. I did indeed rip off the underwater crumbling bobbing stuff from Acid Missile, as well as the crusher area.

As for all of you getting a lot of crashes, we're going to try to band-aid that by going back to 1.09.4's memory management system in 2.0.2.

Cue said:
I suggest you don't complain about the last boss's sprites, considering you wouldn't even have that boss if we had used hand drawn sprites and not a model. Time constraints and all that. I really cannot believe that after complaining that we pushed it back to SAGE, you're complaining about unfinished and rushed things, would you rather we had pushed it back even further? Because you wouldn't have it till probably Christmas then.
A game is not rushed only because how the final boss is made, the gameplay is important too. You need to deal with this. I have been waiting for month to see this version and beat the final boss.

As for all of you getting a lot of crashes, we're going to try to band-aid that by going back to 1.09.4's memory management system in 2.0.2.

Wow, that must take a lot of work... What was the reason of the change anyway? Better/easier management? It´s a pitty if you have to reverse something that took a lot of work... :( Anyway it´s something not noticable by players, is it?

Biospark said:
Cue said:
A game is not rushed only because how the final boss is made, the gameplay is important too. You need to deal with this. I have been waiting for month to see this version and beat the final boss.

They need to deal with the gameplay? That's what I'm getting from your post, and that's wrong, the gameplay is fine, if you keep playing through ERZ it becomes easy, or a lot easier then it was, I've beaten it several times now.

Cue said:
I really cannot believe that after complaining that we pushed it back to SAGE, you're complaining about unfinished and rushed things, would you rather we had pushed it back even further? Because you wouldn't have it till probably Christmas then.

I you think the game was rushed. Why would STJr push it back to SAGE?

I think this topic (or the maker of this topic) think Srb2Me is the last version and is disappointed cause of the fact of "Thanks for playing the SRB2 demo this is the last release before the final game comes out-"

Egg Rock is such a pain in the ass the first few times through, and I for one am absolutely loving this fact. (Probably because I'm fortunate enough to have something like 10 lives at the savepoint...) Every game needs a good challenge like this. Even when I end up with a cheap death and scream at the badnik responsible, I end up laughing about it.

Sure there's bugs all over the place, but what content Sonic Team Jr has put into this since 1.09.4 is more than enough to make up for the crashes. Keep up the good work!

Pac said:
Brown the dog said:
And if I'm not wrong, this boss has the wrong colors, so it needs to be recolored to the right palette.

It does look just as bad as the old Knuckles. The old Knuckles was based off of a model. Guess what the boss is based off of?

Drake Spyker said:
Egg Rock is such a pain in the ass the first few times through, and I for one am absolutely loving this fact. (Probably because I'm fortunate enough to have something like 10 lives at the savepoint...) Every game needs a good challenge like this. Even when I end up with a cheap death and scream at the badnik responsible, I end up laughing about it.

Sure there's bugs all over the place, but what content Sonic Team Jr has put into this since 1.09.4 is more than enough to make up for the crashes. Keep up the good work!

Hurr. I do that a lot.

And I totally agree. The occasional random SigSev can kinda bug ya, though, which makes me want it to save in every zone instead of just the first one. Hopefully you guys can get out a patch to fix some of the SigSevs.

Sigsegv. There's a G in there. Signal, Segment, Violation. And pertaining to a patch, I would assume that it would not take a whole lot of work, as the new projected version would be 2.0.2, meaning that there isn't enough work going in to call it 2.1.0.

After playing through the levels a couple more times, I've traced my source of disappointment down to only DSZ and CEZ, as all of the other levels were great. Deep Sea Zone was quite a mixed bag. Sometimes I would be happy in a well detailed room, running around and jumping on rising platforms and such, only to end up in a bland room with no detail and the same texture plastered on every wall. Some rooms would even be nice when you'd take the upper route, but below was nothing but a giant flat square with some enemies and seaweed here and there. This reminded me of the new nextgen Sonic games, where the whole level is mounted above a giant deathpit. Oh, and in DSZ1 if you take a certain pathway to the left near the start it will lead you to like, 4 flow-breaking gargoyle puzzles, all in a row. They take forever to finish, and they all take you to a room which would normally take you about 30 seconds to reach from the start if you had taken the right pathway. What I'm getting at here is that the main fault in the design was the unbalanced pathways. Hell, the level was only genuinely fun if I took the correct pathways along my playthrough. The level should be fun no matter where I go, and it shouldn't depend on which turn I take along the forked path. To put things in perspective, I honestly felt that Callum's Undersea Palace Zone had more atmosphere, and was overall more enjoyable than this.
CEZ was the worst in my opinion, especially CEZ1. I really don't know how to phrase this right, but the level simply wasn't fun. The gimmicks seemed present just for their own sake, their placement really didn't make sense at all. Enemies were easily avoided, as they don't move and only shoot every once in a while, and were placed in a way that the player can just speed past them. CEZ2 felt unfinished (probably because it is), and it didn't feel like a caste. It needs a throne and rugs and dining rooms and such. The really laggy ending can be skipped if you find another pathway, which was sorta hidden. I don't know why that pathway would be so obscure, since it was much better than the one out in the open. It's like as if the creators tried to hide all of the nice things from us with that. Meh.

Ice said:
Deep Sea Zone was quite a mixed bag. Sometimes I would be happy in a well detailed room, running around and jumping on rising platforms and such, only to end up in a bland room with no detail and the same texture plastered on every wall. Some rooms would even be nice when you'd take the upper route, but below was nothing but a giant flat square with some enemies and seaweed here and there. This reminded me of the new nextgen Sonic games, where the whole level is mounted above a giant deathpit. Oh, and in DSZ1 if you take a certain pathway to the left near the start it will lead you to like, 4 flow-breaking gargoyle puzzles, all in a row. They take forever to finish, and they all take you to a room which would normally take you about 30 seconds to reach from the start if you had taken the right pathway. What I'm getting at here is that the main fault in the design was the unbalanced pathways. Hell, the level was only genuinely fun if I took the correct pathways along my playthrough. The level should be fun no matter where I go, and it shouldn't depend on which turn I take along the forked path. To put things in perspective, I honestly felt that Callum's Undersea Palace Zone had more atmosphere, and was overall more enjoyable than this.
I would like to note that perhaps Deep Sea Zone's gimmicks weren't designed with you as a target audience. There are many types of people who play SRB2, and many of them like the game for different reasons than others. To take an example, let's go with the DSZ2 block room. In my experience, there are three general reactions I've seen to that room, and it really depends on the player:

1. Experiment a bit, then try to find their way through the maze
2. Get frustrated with how they can't figure it out immediately
3. Try to break every block in the room, and love every second of it.

There are similar reactions to the puzzle path in DSZ1. Some people hate it, some people REALLY like it. The best part about having multiple paths is that we can actually cater to these different kinds of players by providing different areas with different types of content. If the puzzles aren't your cup of tea, I suggest you simply avoid them and go with the more action-oriented pathways in the stage. Just remember that our level design team isn't specifically trying to cater to you, we're trying to cater to our entire audience, and a significant portion of our audience actually likes puzzles, so you're going to see them.

Ice said:
CEZ was the worst in my opinion, especially CEZ1. I really don't know how to phrase this right, but the level simply wasn't fun. The gimmicks seemed present just for their own sake, their placement really didn't make sense at all. Enemies were easily avoided, as they don't move and only shoot every once in a while, and were placed in a way that the player can just speed past them. CEZ2 felt unfinished (probably because it is), and it didn't feel like a caste. It needs a throne and rugs and dining rooms and such. The really laggy ending can be skipped if you find another pathway, which was sorta hidden. I don't know why that pathway would be so obscure, since it was much better than the one out in the open. It's like as if the creators tried to hide all of the nice things from us with that. Meh.
Obviously, CEZ is unfinished. This includes Act 1 as well as Act 2, as if the large, empty rooms didn't make it obvious enough.

From the looks of things, Neo CEZ act 1 is more complete than Act 2. (I Call it Neo because it's the New Castle Eggman and Neo means New.)

Also, the Polyobjects looked incomplete with being unable to render flats when compared to ZDoom's or even GZDoom's Poly objects, but they do function better than those versions.

Actually, ICE if you take the left way you have easier access to find a token AND

[spoiler:b6b1b083a6]Tails emblem?[/spoiler:b6b1b083a6]

There are similar reactions to the puzzle path in DSZ1. Some people hate it, some people REALLY like it. The best part about having multiple paths is that we can actually cater to these different kinds of players by providing different areas with different types of content. If the puzzles aren't your cup of tea, I suggest you simply avoid them and go with the more action-oriented pathways in the stage. Just remember that our level design team isn't specifically trying to cater to you, we're trying to cater to our entire audience, and a significant portion of our audience actually likes puzzles, so you're going to see them.

In fact, I LOVED the gargoyles path. It was a nice really different path. And you are not forced to do any puzzle if you just want to run through the level.

Obviously, CEZ is unfinished. This includes Act 1 as well as Act 2, as if the large, empty rooms didn't make it obvious enough.

For being an unfinished zone, it´s pretty cool. Minus some rooms (cannons one and the next, for example) it was enjoyable. I like the last room of the main path.

I would only make somehow better the lance badniks (they look so awesome to be so easily killed), and animate the archer ones.

Any other added thing to the zone is welcome, but it feels really nice right now. Oh, and really nice puzzle on the turret room... I got there many times before noticing what should I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back