Anime Discussion Thread

Julia

A fan of this cool game since the PSP days.
So I was looking for an anime discussion thread, and either they were a locked thread or haven't had any replies since dates earlier than July 2020, so here's a modern thread,

Does anyone here watch anime of ANY kind, and if so, what's your favorite anime?

If I have to list off my favorites, I might as well do so:
Lucky Star
K-ON
Gurren Lagann
Pokemon
(in no particular order)

I can talk about the ones from the 80's and 90's (and even 00's to a smaller extend) because sorry but I think that since the 2010's we got saturated with high-schoolers, Isekais and overal not interesting ones often filled with moeblobs or dubiously young characters in light clothing which is irking me.

I could talk about the classics/most known ones (like DBZ, Naruto or One-Piece) but I would like to share about lesser known ones (like Monster, a seinen).

One of the anime that isn't very popular is Chivarly of a Failed Knight, it's a really good anime(Even if it was only 12 episodes long and not expect a season 2 anytime soon) It's about a guy named Ikki and he's kinda a failure but by the end of S1 he became much better and even got married to a royal princess who goes to the school with him.

I'm not gonna go any further since I don't wanna spoil everything, I just gave you the main story, but you should watch it sometime on anime sites like 4anime.to or 9anime.to

So I was looking for an anime discussion thread, and either they were a locked thread or haven't had any replies since dates earlier than July 2020, so here's a modern thread,

Does anyone here watch anime of ANY kind, and if so, what's your favorite anime?

If I have to list off my favorites, I might as well do so:
Lucky Star
K-ON
Gurren Lagann
Pokemon
(in no particular order)
My favorite anime it's Jojo's bizarre adventure.

It's been a while since I've seen much anime, but I've been rewatching Neon Genesis Evangelion and man... a lot of it's themes really hit me. No wonder so many people consider it a masterpiece- and thankfully, I haven't spoiled myself hard on it. I'm on episode 10 if that matters. I think it'll be a favorite by far when I'm done.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is another favorite, and I like Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable the most. It's one of the most unique series ever and it inspired quite a ton! I am sad though that a lot of people are put off by both the series itself as well as the fanbase. If there's an important plot point, emotional moment, or just a weird one-off thing, it will be memed to death and spoil a ton of people. I try to look on it optimistically and watch despite spoilers because I want to know how the story gets to these points anyways! I'm really happy Stone Ocean was announced, on a last note there.

Goblin Slayer is another favorite by far for it's harsher tone and how the characters all develop, like how the Slayer himself is explored and changes throughout the series. I really enjoy the fact that it's inspired heavily by Dungeons & Dragons, and IIRC a campaign the creator was in inspired a ton? It lead to a lot of intense scenes where you really can't tell what's going to happen next, you're on the edge of your seat and aren't sure how the dice is going to fall so to speak! It also takes some notes from Berserk, which one should definitely read if they want to experience a dark fantasy classic. It's 90's adaptation wasn't bad and nor were it's movies, but stay clear of the new anime.

As for other favorites... Pokemon and Dragon Ball are up there as they were some of the first series I ever saw, and I made a thread ages ago about SEGA Hard Girls' anime series- wish that got more media. I never saw that bonus episode that came out, which would have been a treat as the series ending hit hard, and I would have liked to see the other characters in the bonus episode. I also really liked Inuyashiki, as it's story was intense and the characters were really intriguing- shame it had really out of place 3D. Violet Evergarden was also another series I fell in love with, it was just extremely heartwarming and I wanted to see Violet happy in the end. It was a sweet show.

Lastly... This is going to sound crazy, but one of the first series I ever watched in full and got super into was Sword Art Online. The worlds in the show I really love, the relationship between Kirito and Asuna is nice, and past the very first arc which I had some simple fun with despite it's flaws? Phantom Bullet and Mother's Rosario are really, really good arcs. Alicization I'm actually pretty behind on but it does a lot to the series that fixes a lot of flaws I had, it's just a good experience I'm happy got me into anime as a whole and can appreciate other incredible series. Fairy Dance as far as I'm concerned exists only to set up the world where Mother's Rosario takes place.

I love Neon Genesis Evangelion with all my heart, it's even in my profile picture.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is quite overrated in my opinion, yes it's a mecha anime with serious themes but then again Gundam was also a mecha anime who got into more serious themes and it was like 20 years before.

I like Jojo (especially the first parts) but I dislike the fanbase and overused jokes all over Youtube and Twitter. I also really miss the Ripple and nowadays it's only about stands... At least I'm glad Part 6 finally got confirmed.

I'm a bit like that for Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh, I preferred the pre-Saiyan era of the first and the pre-Duel Monster (or Duelist Kingdom arc) of the second.

I also pretty much prefer the 80's and 90's style of animation overal.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is quite overrated in my opinion, yes it's a mecha anime with serious themes but then again Gundam was also a mecha anime who got into more serious themes and it was like 20 years before.
I never watched Gundam, so I can't say anything about it. Maybe it is a little overrated, I love Evangelion because it was important to me personally. I am the way that I am today because of Evangelion, it taught me how to mature. I think Evangelion doesn't have the same impact to people who already know how to live, but when I first watched it I was litterally Shinji.

From what I've heard, Gundam talks about war and human cruelty. Evangelion deals with different themes, it's more about why and how to live.

Well, i watched some.

Dragon Ball (Original, Z, GT and Super)
Naruto (and Shippuden) Not all.
Danganronpa (i dunno if this counts)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Shingeki No Kyojin
Chainsawman (this doesn't counts, because doesn't haves anime yet, but meh, it's pretty cool, and bloody wdjfkwndkf)
Mob Pyscho. Still looking it.
One Punch Man. i should look the second season
To Your Eternity :dramahog:

I'm thinking on watching more, because, would be cool.

I never watched Gundam, so I can't say anything about it. Maybe it is a little overrated, I love Evangelion because it was important to me personally. I am the way that I am today because of Evangelion, it taught me how to mature. I think Evangelion doesn't have the same impact to people who already know how to live, but when I first watched it I was litterally Shinji.

From what I've heard, Gundam talks about war and human cruelty. Evangelion deals with different themes, it's more about why and how to live.
I was just telling that a mecha anime with deeper themes wasn't new when NGE came out, that's all.

I forgot to talk about Excel Saga and Space Dandy which are more humoristic but still good to watch.

I like Jojo (especially the first parts) but I dislike the fanbase and overused jokes all over Youtube and Twitter. I also really miss the Ripple and nowadays it's only about stands... At least I'm glad Part 6 finally got confirmed.

... I also pretty much prefer the 80's and 90's style of animation overal.
I like both NGE and Gundam- they both hit serious themes, one about personal trauma and the other about the burden of war. I think it's worth watching both, I find it fun to find comparisons and hey, if you know both getting into crossover series will be easier, haha! Granted... I only read Wing years ago and I recently saw G Gundam, which is a really fun tournament style series compared to the serious battles in the other series.
I can relate to that point on Jojo and the classic animation styles too... They had a really nice charm to them! Ripple could really have been expanded on too, it saw a lot of creative use in Parts 2 & 3, and would have been cool to see it again. Part 5 could have had a Zeppili and it'd have fit well!

And heck yeah to watching Hokuto no Ken! Both the movie and the series are classic, it inspired a ton of things including one of my own favorite characters. Parasyte is apparently really good too, but I have yet to see it. The opening theme is a banger, but that can be said of pretty much all the series in this thread as is!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back