• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so amazing! I've actually wanted to give a few ideas for Adventure Sonic for awhile... Here!:

- Like all of the Adventure games, Sonic's jump is floaty when going up, but faster going down.
- The homing attack can kill your momentum, but the Air Dash can get you back to mid-speed.
- And finally, like in SA2, Sonic can use the magic gloves and/or bounce.

I really hope this helps!

This is so amazing! I've actually wanted to give a few ideas for Adventure Sonic for awhile... Here!:

- Like all of the Adventure games, Sonic's jump is floaty when going up, but faster going down.
- The homing attack can kill your momentum, but the Air Dash can get you back to mid-speed.
- And finally, like in SA2, Sonic can use the magic gloves and/or bounce.

I really hope this helps!
Note for moveset idea 1: the jump is weird in SA1. Jumping works like this:
Holding the button garentees the highest jump, while tapping it is a short one. Rising up is normal but at apex it's floaty, falling is fast at first before becoming slightly floaty. Weird, right?

My sprites are using them as a base because I don't have the patience to do full rotations with the amount of animation frames I want by hand. :P
A low poly 3D model of your mod sounds good, I really admire your work and every time I see it it motivates me to continue doing my job, this kind of mods are the ones that deserve all the attention in the MB

Note for moveset idea 1: the jump is weird in SA1. Jumping works like this:
Holding the button garentees the highest jump, while tapping it is a short one. Rising up is normal but at apex it's floaty, falling is fast at first before becoming slightly floaty. Weird, right?
SA1 constantly has gravity apply to sonic every frame (even when on the ground!), but when jumping and holding “A” you push against gravity (as in your Y velocity is added to) by a factor of a parameter known as “jump_addit,” multiplied by 0.8. This happens over a period of "Hang time" which in SA1 is a whole second. Finally, SA1 has 2 speed caps that hard cut-off your speed; you can't go faster than 16 decimeters per frame, and--importantly--if your speed is UNDER 0.02 decimeters per second, it caps out to 0.

Like much of the code in SA1 / 2, the jump is very much "hacked-together till it feels right," haha. There's quite a few things you have to keep in mind if you want total accuracy, especially with general ground and air movement.

Here's a stripped-down example of how to *JUST* get the SA1 style upward thrust to work in SRB2 space, in C pseudocode, just to get an idea of how the logic works.

C:
// Character parameters
const int hangTimeFrames = TICRATE;     // Is supposed to be one second; 60 frames in SA, 35 in SRB2.
const float jmp_y_spd = 16.6;
const float jmp_addit = 0.76;
const float weight    = 0.8;             // SA1 uses "weight" as gravity.
const float lim_v_spd_min = 0.2;    // Fun fact: not an actual parameter. This is hard-coded in SA1.
const float air_resist_y = -0.01;      // This is a multiplier so no need to scale this x10.

int hangTimer;
bool hasJumped = false;    // Make sure to set to false whenever the character's state is not "Jump."

// This SHOULD convert 60FPS logic to 35FPS logic.
// Multiply w/ velocity modifying parameters (NOT multipliers, check UpwardThrust).
const float timeScale = 60.0 / TICRATE;

// The following are utility functions so the code logic is more clear.
void StartJump()
{
    hasJumped = true;
    hangTimer = 0;
    player.velocity.z += (jmp_y_spd * timeScale);  // SRB2 is Z-Up but SA1 is Y-Up, so these variable names are fun lol
}

void UpwardThrust()
{
    player.velocity.z += (jmp_addit * timeScale) * 0.8;
}

void JumpAcceleration()
{
    float jumpFriction = player.velocity.y * air_resist_y;    // NOTE: not scaled w/ time.
    float jumpAccel    = jumpFriction + (-weight * timeScale);

player.velocity.z += jumpAccel;
}

// Our actual jump logic.
void DoJump()
{
    if (!hasJumped)
    {
        StartJump();
    }

hangTimer++;
    bool inHangTime = hangTimer < hangTimeFrames;

if(inHangTime)
    {
        UpwardThrust();
    }

JumpAcceleration();

// OPTIONAL: SA1 style speed truncation. Keeps you in place at the peak of your jump.
    if (player.velocity.z < (lim_v_spd_min * timeScale) && inHangTime)
    {
        player.velocity.z = 0.0;
    }
}

NOTE: SA1's unit scale is in decimeters, and it's code assumes a 60FPS time step. To combat this, all character parameters (except air_resist_y, which is a multiplier) have been scaled up x10 since, as far as I know, SRB2 is in standard CM unit scale; they've also been multiplied by (60.0 / 35.0) which should be 1.714285714285714. Not the prettiest number in the world, but it should get the job done.

Also worth keeping in mind, "JumpAcceleration" handles the force of gravity as well. Not sure how you'd go about this, but basically you'd want to nullify the effects of SRB2's gravity if you're in the jump state. If you don't want the *exact* feel of SA1's jump and are okay using SRB2's gravity which is, AFAIK, less floaty, you can go ahead and change JumpAcceleration to this:

C:
void JumpAcceleration()
{
    float jumpFriction = player.velocity.z * air_resist_y;
    player.velocity.z += jumpFriction;
}

I didn't set up the FRACUNIT conversion or how SRB2 handles applying player velocity; not familiar with that as I haven't touched SRB2 lua in a while. This is just an outline on how to get the desired effect.

Metalwario, if you want more stuff like this to get SA1 style movement in SRB2, shoot me a message. Hope this all helps!

Last edited:
SA1 constantly has gravity apply to sonic every frame (even when on the ground!), but when jumping and holding “A” you push against gravity (as in your Y velocity is added to) by a factor of a parameter known as “jump_addit,” multiplied by 0.8. This happens over a period of "Hang time" which in SA1 is a whole second. Finally, SA1 has 2 speed caps that hard cut-off your speed; you can't go faster than 16 decimeters per frame, and--importantly--if your speed is UNDER 0.02 decimeters per second, it caps out to 0.

Like much of the code in SA1 / 2, the jump is very much "hacked-together till it feels right," haha. There's quite a few things you have to keep in mind if you want total accuracy, especially with general ground and air movement.

Here's a stripped-down example of how to *JUST* get the SA1 style upward thrust to work in SRB2 space, in C pseudocode, just to get an idea of how the logic works.

C:
// Character parameters
const int hangTimeFrames = TICRATE;     // Is supposed to be one second; 60 frames in SA, 35 in SRB2.
const float jmp_y_spd = 16.6;
const float jmp_addit = 0.76;
const float weight    = 0.8;             // SA1 uses "weight" as gravity.
const float lim_v_spd_min = 0.2;    // Fun fact: not an actual parameter. This is hard-coded in SA1.
const float air_resist_y = -0.01;      // This is a multiplier so no need to scale this x10.

int hangTimer;
bool hasJumped = false;    // Make sure to set to false whenever the character's state is not "Jump."

// This SHOULD convert 60FPS logic to 35FPS logic.
// Multiply w/ velocity modifying parameters (NOT multipliers, check UpwardThrust).
const float timeScale = 60.0 / TICRATE;

// The following are utility functions so the code logic is more clear.
void StartJump()
{
    hasJumped = true;
    hangTimer = 0;
    player.velocity.y += (jmp_y_spd * timeScale);
}

void UpwardThrust()
{
    player.velocity.y += (jmp_addit * timeScale) * 0.8;
}

void JumpAcceleration()
{
    float jumpFriction = player.velocity.y * air_resist_y;    // NOTE: not scaled w/ time.
    float jumpAccel    = jumpFriction + (-weight * timeScale);

player.velocity.y += jumpAccel;
}

// Our actual jump logic.
void DoJump()
{
    if (!hasJumped)
    {
        StartJump();
    }

hangTimer++;
    bool inHangTime = hangTimer < hangTimeFrames;

if(inHangTime)
    {
        UpwardThrust();
    }

JumpAcceleration();

// OPTIONAL: SA1 style speed truncation. Keeps you in place at the peak of your jump.
    if (player.velocity.y < (lim_v_spd_min * timeScale) && inHangTime)
    {
        player.velocity.y = 0.0;
    }
}

NOTE: SA1's unit scale is in decimeters, and it's code assumes a 60FPS time step. To combat this, all character parameters (except air_resist_y, which is a multiplier) have been scaled up x10 since, as far as I know, SRB2 is in standard CM unit scale; they've also been multiplied by (60.0 / 35.0) which should be 1.714285714285714. Not the prettiest number in the world, but it should get the job done.

Also worth keeping in mind, "JumpAcceleration" handles the force of gravity as well. Not sure how you'd go about this, but basically you'd want to nullify the effects of SRB2's gravity if you're in the jump state. If you don't want the *exact* feel of SA1's jump and are okay using SRB2's gravity which is, AFAIK, less floaty, you can go ahead and change JumpAcceleration to this:

C:
void JumpAcceleration()
{
    float jumpFriction = player.velocity.y * air_resist_y;
    player.velocity.y += jumpFriction;
}

I didn't set up the FRACUNIT conversion or how SRB2 handles applying player velocity; not familiar with that as I haven't touched SRB2 lua in a while. This is just an outline on how to get the desired effect.

If you want more stuff like this to get SA1 style movement in SRB2, shoot me a message. Hope this all helps!
Wow! This is...
Perfect!
I really am astonished at how characters can be made like this! Now, I have another question, well two:
1.) Will there be an SA1/SADX Level Pack? Cause that'll be cool to run through as other characters/Adventure Sonic!
2.) If you don't mind, I'd like to try and be a beta tester! I will give feedback on how this character can play!
Anyways, this is so cool! I know this character will Be Cool, Be Wild, Be Groovy!
(That was a little reference to SA1)

isnt there already an adventure sonic mod coming out?
It's been known for a while that MetalWario and BlueBlur's Adventure Sonics started development at the same time. They're also takin two entirely different routes with each one, so don't assume that one is obsolete because another one exists

noice

Attachments

• leooc.png
    leooc.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 225
MwINqW5.gif

yIkRTKb.gif

YnOE6Tk.gif

HZbg0CN.gif

HgUKPFK.gif

Most of the falling frames are done now (and sent to Shine). I might do some other things before I finish the A6-A8, but those will be very easy since they are just new legs.
this is good stuff, anyways ¿how do you make the sprites? i know them are pre rended but you take an image and sprite above the photo? or you use an program or something else?
(the last falling sprite has an error in his medium low spine)

this is good stuff, anyways ¿how do you make the sprites? i know them are pre rended but you take an image and sprite above the photo? or you use an program or something else?
(the last falling sprite has an error in his medium low spine)
Read the entire thread. He explains his process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back