• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lookin' better than ever! i hope you continue on this addon, it's got potential!
Thanks!

I also completely forgot something I wanted to point out and forgot to beforehand:

Here is the SADX running animation from the side:
S8C3xeD.gif

Frankly, I think it looks terrible. I think from the front and back it's okay, but those same frames from the side look really robotic and wonky. Even though it's more effort, I'm very much happy with taking the time to use the SA2 models and then modifying those to more resemble the Advance animations.

If you're up for suggestions, I have a neat idea for the signpost:

520.png

Minus the massive cake next to Sonic. You could make his left arm pop out of the sign post.

The fact that you're pulling from multiple sources to make this the best that it can be is a huge step in the right direction. That new run animation looks smooth. Just out of curiosity, how many frames is that?

The fact that you're pulling from multiple sources to make this the best that it can be is a huge step in the right direction. That new run animation looks smooth. Just out of curiosity, how many frames is that?
Just 8 as is default.

It also coincidentally helps it to align with the Advance running animation, and also I don't want to do more than that because I think I'd go crazy if I had to do more than that for every direction. XP

Like the Advance animation though, I cheat a bit and only animated 6 frames for his torso and arms (using the previous frame for when they start in the opposite direction), and the head is only 4 frames, which is partly laziness so I don't have to animate a rotation, and part faithfulness to the Advance animation.

The legs are the only part with 8 unique frames.

GTk7Tsd.gif

I tweaked the back 3/4 frame again. What I did before just looked wonky to me, so I captured the model rotated slightly more towards the side to match. It's not exactly how Uekawa drew him from that angle, but it just looks better. I also brought the shortened the middle quill on both that frame and the back frame.

Here's a preliminary running animation:
fHse4kK.gif

It's still mostly traced from the model, but I adjusted the position of his arms and feet in a few frames to more closely resemble the Advance 2 and 3 running animation. The head position was traced and modified from a single frame of the SA2 model running animation, but instead of having the head rotate and bob, I just animated the quills and the ears like in the Advance games. The head and body are separated in my GIMP layers so that I can adjust them all when I'm done shading the body.

Getting the adjustments consistent in the rotations will probably be annoying, but since I have the model as a base, I assume it will be less so than doing it all freehand.

Don't expect it for quite a while. The art is taking a long time, and I haven't even fully animated the standard running rotation yet.

Ngl, The way that those sprites look kind of reminds me of Sonic Onset Adventure.

Ngl, The way that those sprites look kind of reminds me of Sonic Onset Adventure.
LOL! I didn't even know what that was until I saw Billehbawb's video on Roblox Sonic games. I even commented on the video proclaiming how I'm a 30 year old man who's so out of touch that I didn't even know that Roblox came out before Minecraft because I thought it was a ripoff of Minecraft because I heard the word "blox" and only started noticing anyone talking about it in the past 6 or so years.

There is art of Uekawa's Sonic from the front which is this: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/s...2_Sonic.png/revision/latest?cb=20171112015112
Don't know if it's usable, though. As you can see, the quills are drawn splayed out from the side.
Yikes! If it weren't for the top quill being drawn on the right light that, it might be okay, but as-is, it just looks like Knuckles' quills/dreads, and besides that, it would kill the sprite when the camera is rotating. :p

Anyhow, the side-running animation is nearly complete now:
zygcP6Z.gif

Just needs some touching up that I'll do at some point.

Last edited:
GOD, i can't describe how awesome and wonderful this looks!!!

Really, don't cancel this, It's looking really amazing!

655404880818602024.png

So, I decided to try and make the SA2 Uekawa front Sonic...:
smU3OM4.png

Yeah... it don't look good!

I might have been able to tweak it to improve it, but I have no Earthly idea how I'd even animate the bloody thing, so I won't be referencing it. Honestly, I don't think this will be "Uekawa Sonic"... I might call it "Adv. Sonic" so that it will be a blanket for both the Advance and Adventure era. I'm still going to do what I've been doing though; mostly following Uekawa's art except for in instances I think won't work in a 3D perspective.

Last edited:
So, not liking how the running animation is looking from the front, I went back again to alter the head animation to resemble the Advance 1 (and the Genesis games and vanilla SRB2) animation where his head rotates with his body:

fegh8D9.gif

It might be good enough as-is, but I want to tidy it up a bit soon.

I would post the front running animation, but now Imgur isn't loading, so I'll edit it in later whenever it does.

Last edited:
looks way more "alive" and better.
i like the mix between Adventure and Advance style sprites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back