• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm working off of the models directly from the SAMDL model editor, since I can view all of the animations frame by frame. The only problem is it's a bit hard to get the perspective just right, and the SA1 models joints aren't jointed at the vertexes, but those are pretty much minor things. I'm thinking that I might end up recapturing all of the animation frames and then tweak my existing ones to match the newer ones to mitigate any inconsistencies between the video capture and the model viewer screenshots.

The best part of this method is that I have extracted the model data from the SA2 Trial, which means I can also use the pre-Soap shoes model for any additional poses I might incorporate down the line (I definitely want to use the SA2 looking at his 'watch' idle animation).

These are incredibly faithful to the original models and quite impressive! I'm excited to see the final product.

Have you thought about what kind of moves you may wanna implement? Or how you would implement them?

For example the light dash is handled quite differently in SA1 than 2. Would you lean more towards 1's method of holding the spindash down, or like 2 where you instantly dash through rings?

I WOULD like to make sprites for Adventure Tails, Knuckles and Amy at some point because one of the main goals of this I had from the beginning was to have a visually consistent set of these characters. Of course, that all depends on how well this Sonic goes.

Maybe a Metal Sonic too? Even if he's just a Sonic clone in SADX, he could be interesting to make too (?)

Uh? I take it you don't like them?

I prefer the DC models for SA1 personally within the context of the game and its transition to 3D (as well as the nostalgia of playing the game on my DC as a kid in 1999), but for a project like this, I want to use the DX models because of their faithfulness to Uekawa's artwork.

Anyhow, I've done some more work on these:

q0Orkrw.png

For the standing frames, I just touched up the outlines a bit, since against lighter backgrounds they looked a bit incomplete.

I also finally completed the first running animation:
tKDviy2.gif

Here it is with the default animation, just because I like comparing things:
VoXzxTU.gif

Anyhow, since the way the SA1 model is rigged, characters can't really make fists that look decent, so I'll probably touch up some of the hands in these frames later on after I finish all of the other running frames for the other directions.

You know, since Doom took pictures of sculpted models and traced them into pixel art (obviously far more work than I'm doing here), that was one of the catalysts for my idea of making these...

Dam that's so smooth! dont forget spamdash

Btw keep up the great work Metalwario64!

Alright, I've spent all of my time learning how SAMDL works and how to find the game models. I ripped all of the frames of all of the poses that I will be using, and I repeated the same process for every direction, so now every frame will be consistent regardless of the direction Sonic's facing. This is a big improvement over how it was before.

As a result, I had to heavily rework and redraw all of my existing frames:
btYUhgL.gif

IX9GtBa.gif

BjinrK0.gif

I also changed the side frame so that it was at a slight angle towards the front, which greatly improves the look. The only real issue I might see at the moment is that maybe he's a touch too small? I'm wondering if I should have made the sprites truly to scale with the regular Sonic ones (Modern and Classic have a bigger size difference, right?), but I wanted him to mesh with Neo and Modern since those were about the same size. I have been doing research, and apparently I could always use the hi-res mode to set a custom scale, or am I misunderstanding that? If so, I could theoretically make him a bit larger and scale him down if I wanted to?

Anyway, as of now it looks pretty good I think. I actually redid how I approached the face, and instead of just copying the model, I basically did what I could to match Uekawa's style as closely as possible, since that was my goal with this to begin with really.

Now, as for planned features and stuff... How hard is a victory animation as Xtreme does it? I was thinking of including something like this:
29kSEqh.gif

This is 8 frames from the final part of his victory pose. Surprisingly, cutting out all of that flipping and flopping around he does beforehand doesn't hurt how it flows from his default stance, so animating this wouldn't be such a big deal I don't think. But as I have never coded anything in SRB2, I don't know if I'm in over my head here or not. I'm also thinking the palette "cobalt" would work pretty well for him. Again, the blue here is just a quick hue shift in GIMP.

Last edited:
I think Modern Sonic's just taller, not bigger in general. I think Adventure Sonic would be slightly bigger at most compared to classic Sonic.

I finally found a good reference from Generations:
e0yrSaQ.png

Judging from this, I was pretty close height. Uekawa's Adventure 1 artwork had Sonic with a slightly rounder stomach and slightly shorter legs than he would end up with in later titles, so I guess my scale works pretty well.

Hopefully working win animation

After stealing some code (from the reusable Xtreme Sonic though), I have a script that should do a win animation.
Code:
local function WinAnimation(player)
    if (player.mo) and (player.mo.valid) and (player.mo.skin == "amy") //<< Replace "amy" with your skin name parameter
        if P_PlayerInPain(player)
        or (player.pflags & PF_SLIDING)
        or player.powers[pw_carry] != CR_NONE
        or player.spectator
        or player.playerstate != PST_LIVE
        or player.panim == PA_PAIN
        or player.powers[pw_super] == 1
        or player.powers[pw_nocontrol] > 0
        or player.mo.eflags & MFE_SPRUNG then return end
        if player.exiting
            if player.mo.state != S_PLAY_MELEE
                player.mo.state = S_PLAY_MELEE
            end
            player.mo.momx = 0 player.mo.momy = 0
        end
    end
end

addHook("PlayerThink", WinAnimation)
Just replace the character check, put it in a LUA_* lump, and put the win animation in the melee animation (MLEE****) and you should be good.
Also make sure to credit XSonic's creator because he originally made the script that I reused.

After stealing some code (from the reusable Xtreme Sonic though), I have a script that should do a win animation.
Code:
local function WinAnimation(player)
    if (player.mo) and (player.mo.valid) and (player.mo.skin == "amy") //<< Replace "amy" with your skin name parameter
        if P_PlayerInPain(player)
        or (player.pflags & PF_SLIDING)
        or player.powers[pw_carry] != CR_NONE
        or player.spectator
        or player.playerstate != PST_LIVE
        or player.panim == PA_PAIN
        or player.powers[pw_super] == 1
        or player.powers[pw_nocontrol] > 0
        or player.mo.eflags & MFE_SPRUNG then return end
        if player.exiting
            if player.mo.state != S_PLAY_MELEE
                player.mo.state = S_PLAY_MELEE
            end
            player.mo.momx = 0 player.mo.momy = 0
        end
    end
end

addHook("PlayerThink", WinAnimation)
Just replace the character check, put it in a LUA_* lump, and put the win animation in the melee animation (MLEE****) and you should be good.
Also make sure to credit XSonic's creator because he originally made the script that I reused.

i... don't think that stealing the code isn't a smart idea, you know

Late update: i didn't read it was re-usable, my bad

Last edited:
Holy god, those sprites looks wonderful!!!

I really love the progress of this project.

...and I'm using the DX models because they are pretty accurate to Uekawa's artwork.

Surprisingly, the DX models aren't accurate to the artwork at all.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/781630139511341066/786385721673383936/Sonic_Turnaround.png This is a page from SA1's Style Guide, which looks eerily similar to Sonic's DC model.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/781630139511341066/786385797527109642/SapsdSONIC.png Here's the DC model itself in similar angles to the Style Guide page.
The face as is, however, is perfectly fine, as this artwork shows: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/s...ture-13.png/revision/latest?cb=20111018154505 Had to use URLs because attachments seem to be broken.
All this to say 2 things: the middle quill is too low and the shoes aren't bulky enough.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/781630139511341066/786385721673383936/Sonic_Turnaround.png This is a page from SA1's Style Guide, which looks eerily similar to Sonic's DC model.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/781630139511341066/786385797527109642/SapsdSONIC.png Here's the DC model itself in similar angles to the Style Guide page.
The face as is, however, is perfectly fine, as this artwork shows: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/s...ture-13.png/revision/latest?cb=20111018154505 Had to use URLs because attachments seem to be broken.
All this to say 2 things: the middle quill is too low and the shoes aren't bulky enough.
Well, those style guide images all just look like they were using the DC models as a basis (or perhaps it was the other way around), because they don't match Uekawa's SA1 artwork at all.

I think the quills are fine compared to all of the Adventure artworks:
vyStKXj.png

and the shoes look pretty close to me as well. Uekawa drew them long and thin as opposed to thick and angular like the classics and the more modern looks.

Last edited:
Well, those style guide images all just look like they were using the DC models as a basis (or perhaps it was the other way around), because they don't match Uekawa's SA1 artwork at all.

I think the quills are fine compared to all of the Adventure artworks:
vyStKXj.png

and the shoes look pretty close to me as well. Uekawa drew them long and thin as opposed to thick and angular like the classics and the more modern looks.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/4/4e/S-D9.png/revision/latest?cb=20180315140501 This Christmas artwork leads me to believe otherwise.
The shoes aren't drawn in their "neutral" position most of the time. This artwork is an exception to that. Plus, Sonic's eyes is drawn very similar to the guide in the image you posted.

Well, here's a static pose where the shoes look more like the DX models:
iRl2Rv2.png

Either way, those style guide images aren't indicative of the look of Uekawa's illustrations for the game, and that's what I'm going for. If I feel like it I might tweak the shoes when all of the sprites are done, but the rounder look of them is pretty well in line with the rounded, always moving look his art has.

Even if the modelers of SADX were referencing the shape of his shoes in action poses for the model, even then later drawings he made such as for the Advance games also have the thin, rounded shoes in static poses, so it's not something I'm in a big hurry to change.

I love the sprites. Look amazing so far.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Because the one he's basing his sprites off of DX's models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back