• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I never really have updated (and retitled) this thread, and a TON has happened in the time since it started, I feel it's time to finally update this thread to inform everyone where it currently stands.

After talking it over, I have finally decided that my Sonic will be:

6o6bUkS.gif

Adventure Sonic

The coding is being handled by Golden Shine, and the project is focused almost exclusively on the Adventure games with a dash of Advance, and so far things have been going very smoothly. We're focusing on getting the feel of Adventure in a way that works in SRB2, while also attempting to provide it in a lightweight package.

Here are examples of the walk and the run animations I have:
Mtc8XF8.gif

n6ydxmf.gif

And I'll repost this little GIF showing the running in-game:
AB44YBJ.gif

Right now, the standing, walking, running, rolling, spring and falling animations are complete.

Things have come quite a way since I started out, tracing SADX screenshots and not knowing if I'd ever have a coder. I'm quite excited, and I hope others are as well!

Last edited:
When I first heard 'traced' I got worried, but... You, actually did really well with those sprites! While the tracing becomes obvious when put side by side with the original shots, you did a good job masking it and making it look like a proper sprite! Hopefully this gets some form of traction- I'd love to see these sprites put to use.

When I first heard 'traced' I got worried, but... You, actually did really well with those sprites! While the tracing becomes obvious when put side by side with the original shots, you did a good job masking it and making it look like a proper sprite! Hopefully this gets some form of traction- I'd love to see these sprites put to use.
Yeah, I have seen footage of a SADX Sonic that looks to simply cut out screenshots for all of his animations (giving it a pre-rendered vibe akin to Xtreme Sonic), so I wanted to take that concept a bit further by using screenshots and drawing over them while referencing the sprites from the base game.

I appreciate the compliment as well!

Last edited:
Dude, i saw this of "adventure sonic sprites", and i thinked... "So they will port that adventure sonic? cool", i entered and O M G, those sprites looks awesome dude, i would play an mod like that one, only for the awesome sprite job, and if it has an awesome gameplay, EVEN MORE!

Holy shit, these sprites are just perfection at its finest.
Although its traced, I absolutely love these. Makes me smile.

0/10000 need a variation of Dreamcast Sonic (possibly before of complete the set sprites of sadx sonic)

Last edited:
TehPuertoRicanSpartan said:
blursed. just blursed.
Uh? I take it you don't like them?

iuetqueru said:
0/10000 need a variation of Dreamcast Sonic (possibly before of complete the set sprites of sadx sonic)
I prefer the DC models for SA1 personally within the context of the game and its transition to 3D (as well as the nostalgia of playing the game on my DC as a kid in 1999), but for a project like this, I want to use the DX models because of their faithfulness to Uekawa's artwork.

Anyhow, I've done some more work on these:

q0Orkrw.png

For the standing frames, I just touched up the outlines a bit, since against lighter backgrounds they looked a bit incomplete.

I also finally completed the first running animation:
tKDviy2.gif

Here it is with the default animation, just because I like comparing things:
VoXzxTU.gif

Anyhow, since the way the SA1 model is rigged, characters can't really make fists that look decent, so I'll probably touch up some of the hands in these frames later on after I finish all of the other running frames for the other directions.

You know, since Doom took pictures of sculpted models and traced them into pixel art (obviously far more work than I'm doing here), that was one of the catalysts for my idea of making these...

Last edited:
I fucking love the walk animation.
I will play with this mod for sure.
Keep going!

if this turns into a mod and if your struggling with power ideas, i got a few!

lightdash from sonic adventure
spindash spam (aka Spamdash), a trick from sonic adventure
normal dash, works like light dash but can be used anywhere and doesnt move you through a line of rings

thats all i got for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back