• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventure Sonic (SA-Sonic) Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, seriously... Please stop derailing.
He might if Sonic didn't just use 0.0001% of his power and actually use at least 1%.
Ok? I don't think anyone wants the thread to be stabbed with a knife by any of the mods.

If anyone replys to this or the previous spoiler is a goddamn baka. You just derailed again. Why?
Post automatically merged:

Note: The message above is directed to those who are derailing. If you're not derailing, congrats! You did good.
Actually you just derailed for a second there in that first spolier.
Edit: I just got back to this thread please don't yeet me :(

is it just me? or adventure sonic kinda looks like sms in some way?
SMS IS based of Adventure Sonic's design. Unless you mean SA-Sonic's speed, in which case...you haven't seen SMS' real speed. ;)

Force shield moment-
While this is great for platforming I hardly ever use the force shield. Mainly because mods are mostly about keeping your momentum, but because you can just gain it all back again in an instant, this is a very smart move.
The Force Shield's stop might've been useful if vanilla Sonic could use it after a speed thok. But SA-Sonic has incredible control over his speed and a ton of safeguards, so this is extra pointless to him regardless. But uhhh....accurate to SA1, I guess??

Will Super Sonic have any custom abilities like the dash move in the Final Hazard fight, or will it just be an ability enhancement?
Of course. There's plenty of custom powers & gfx to look forward to. I desperately needed to hold myself back from overdoing effects, but Super Sonic has no such shackles.
791765563697135616.png

Will Super Sonic still have the spindash?
Ye.
864198593819967538.png
Won't be as big a focus as it is for base Sonic, though! It's mainly there so Super Sonic never feels like a downgrade.

I hope Super Sonic has better control since he has always felt slippery and you would gain speed quicker when jumping
Thankfully for you SA2 wants a piece of this pie.

wait hang on light speed dash isn't instant? Tbh i thought it never was, as you had to charge it in the original SA games. (At least SA1)
Anyways i really hope the super sonic theme is open your heart or live and learn
Yeah, it's instant from SA2 onwards. SRB2 has rings placed everywhere with no regard for this ability's existence, so that makes the Lightdash simultaneously useless and occasionally a bit broken if the player can spam it. Since SA-Sonic's has to charge, hopefully the buffs we gave it to compensate keep it moderately useful outside of a few specific mods.

Personally, I can say I'm no fan of characters with ring stealing powers in netgames...I welcome the charging.

Tbh, the first time I did this move in SA1 I had to do a double take. Other than that, I have never used this move in subsequent playthroughs. But, I can see this being useful for precision platforming at least!
Nah, it's ok. Relish in it's absolute uselessness.

Something Metalwario64's been critical about since the early stages of development was SA-Sonic's (standard) air dash. I'm crazy over speed so it hurts to lower those sweet velocity numbers, but Metal flung himself into the abyss alot. A common issue with players not already an "SRB2 veteran".

Looking closely at Adventure 2's air dash, Sonic's in full control even mid-airdash. Even if you initially thokked forwards, he can still redirect the thok mid-animation up to a complete U-turn. We implemented this behavior too.
srb20187.gif

This only affects SIMPLE control mode. It's very jarring in STANDARD/STRAFE to suddenly get half a second of full analog control.

SMS IS based of Adventure Sonic's design. Unless you mean SA-Sonic's speed, in which case...you haven't seen SMS' real speed. ;)

The Force Shield's stop might've been useful if vanilla Sonic could use it after a speed thok. But SA-Sonic has incredible control over his speed and a ton of safeguards, so this is extra pointless to him regardless. But uhhh....accurate to SA1, I guess??

Of course. There's plenty of custom powers & gfx to look forward to. I desperately needed to hold myself back from overdoing effects, but Super Sonic has no such shackles.
791765563697135616.png

Ye.
864198593819967538.png
Won't be as big a focus as it is for base Sonic, though! It's mainly there so Super Sonic never feels like a downgrade.

Yeah, it's instant from SA2 onwards. SRB2 has rings placed everywhere with no regard for this ability's existence, so that makes the Lightdash simultaneously useless and occasionally a bit broken if the player can spam it. Since SA-Sonic's has to charge, hopefully the buffs we gave it to compensate keep it moderately useful outside of a few specific mods.

Personally, I can say I'm no fan of characters with ring stealing powers in netgames...I welcome the charging.

Something Metalwario64's been critical about since the early stages of development was SA-Sonic's (standard) air dash. I'm crazy over speed so it hurts to lower those sweet velocity numbers, but Metal flung himself into the abyss alot. A common issue with players not already an "SRB2 veteran".

Looking closely at Adventure 2's air dash, Sonic's in full control even mid-airdash. Even if you initially thokked forwards, he can still redirect the thok mid-animation up to a complete U-turn. We implemented this behavior too.
srb20187.gif

This only affects SIMPLE control mode. It's very jarring in STANDARD/STRAFE to suddenly get half a second of full analog control.
now i want too see sms and adventure sonic in a race now

Tbh I prefer SA1's light dash over SA2's.
Elaborate

Yeah the charged light speed dash likes a horrible idea. There’s literally no point of the light speed dash in srb2 other than quickly collecting rings. So if slow it down it makes it utterly useless. Also impossible to take midair light speed dash paths

There’s almost no reason to use it at this point

I hope adventure sonic can rail grind. If modern sonic can so should sa sonic. It could open more possibilities for adventure style levels. Kinda like greenflower x for modern sonci

Last edited:
There’s literally no point of the light speed dash in srb2 other than quickly collecting rings.
Not true. It’s primary use is to travel a certain distance quickly.
So if slow it down it makes it utterly useless. Also impossible to take midair light speed dash paths
He isn’t slowing down the actual move, he’s just charging it because it now has two uses. It also makes it function different from the reusable light speed dash that comes from Modern Sonic

now i want too see sms and adventure sonic in a race now
Give SMS Speed shoes at the start, you know to make it more fair for SMS of course!

Oh speaking of Speeds shoes, does SA Sonic have Custom Speed shoes and invincibility themes?
Also Voice clips, is he using SA1's? Or SA2's? Or maybe mix of both?
791765563697135616.png
I have high hopes for those effects if SMS is anything to go by, let's just hope it won't melt computers.
Looking forward to seeing it, because charging sounds like a big pace breaker, so it being buffed to make up for that is intriguing.

srb20187.gif

As someone who plays SRB2 in simple mode, I have a good feeling that this is going to help prevent me accidentally falling into the ether. However...
I'm admittedly a bit mixed on this. On one hand, it was made instant in SA2 and onward to prevent from having to break the flow. On the other hand, I'm curious as to the buffs you've given him in order to compensate for having to wait.

791765563697135616.png

Ye.
864198593819967538.png

srb20187.gif

Is that a new emerald hud? You know the one for how many emeralds you currently have?

There’s almost no reason to use it at this point
I buffed the Lightdash itself to make up for charge-time, you'll see in what way soon enough.

Oh speaking of Speeds shoes, does SA Sonic have Custom Speed shoes and invincibility themes?
Yes. They use custom slots, so none of SA-Sonic's music override vanilla themes. The music slots are called O_YUSUPR, O_YUCLR, O_YUSHOE, and O_YUINV.

Also Voice clips, is he using SA1's? Or SA2's? Or maybe mix of both?
Whatever seems fitting from any of Ryan Drummond clips.(avoiding GBA-crunched clips!) Frequency for voice clips is about as often as SA1.

I have high hopes for those effects if SMS is anything to go by, let's just hope it won't melt computers.

Looking forward to seeing it, because charging sounds like a big pace breaker, so it being buffed to make up for that is intriguing.
I'm better at optimization than I once was, and SA-Sonic doesn't really have ultrafancy CPU-eating chain-explosions and lightbeams. There IS 1 Super Sonic effect that has me mildly concerned for minor FPS drops, but it's easily adjustable after testers with crappy PCs confirm it for me. (It doesn't drop FPS for me, but I can fight wars in die.pk3 without drops, so my experience doesn't say much.)

With how slidey SA-Sonic's spindash charge is, and a buff to both the charge and moves themselves, I'm sure I hit the sweet spot.

I'm admittedly a bit mixed on this.(Lightdash) On one hand, it was made instant in SA2 and onward to prevent from having to break the flow. On the other hand, I'm curious as to the buffs you've given him in order to compensate for having to wait.
Same. Outside of required sections it was useless in SA1. SRB2 has no required Lightdashes, so brainlessly spamming it on every tiny ring cluster is the status quo here normally. This buff was practically mandatory for a charged version.

Is that a new emerald hud? You know the one for how many emeralds you currently have?
Sorry, that's from the hangout mod I was using. We're not trying to pack in a full SRB2-to-Adventure conversion, just sticking to a lightweight character mod for the time being!

So....air braking. Let go off the stick mid-jump and Sonic gradually comes to a halt like in Adventure. It's similar to SRB2's autobrake, but for jumping. I'll make sure players can turn this off or tweak it, since it's very different from vanilla SRB2 behavior. Neither this nor SA-Sonic's natural air drag will affect spring-launches.
srb20193.gif

Precise jumps like this are easy to land even from massive distance leaps. Controls/physics stuff is hard to show off in GIFs...

I buffed the Lightdash itself to make up for charge-time, you'll see in what way soon enough.

Yes. They use custom slots, so none of SA-Sonic's music override vanilla themes. The music slots are called O_YUSUPR, O_YUCLR, O_YUSHOE, and O_YUINV.

Whatever seems fitting from any of Ryan Drummond clips.(avoiding GBA-crunched clips!) Frequency for voice clips is about as often as SA1.

I'm better at optimization than I once was, and SA-Sonic doesn't really have ultrafancy CPU-eating chain-explosions and lightbeams. There IS 1 Super Sonic effect that has me mildly concerned for minor FPS drops, but it's easily adjustable after testers with crappy PCs confirm it for me. (It doesn't drop FPS for me, but I can fight wars in die.pk3 without drops, so my experience doesn't say much.)

With how slidey SA-Sonic's spindash charge is, and a buff to both the charge and moves themselves, I'm sure I hit the sweet spot.

Same. Outside of required sections it was useless in SA1. SRB2 has no required Lightdashes, so brainlessly spamming it on every tiny ring cluster is the status quo here normally. This buff was practically mandatory for a charged version.

Sorry, that's from the hangout mod I was using. We're not trying to pack in a full SRB2-to-Adventure conversion, just sticking to a lightweight character mod for the time being!

So....air braking. Let go off the stick mid-jump and Sonic gradually comes to a halt like in Adventure. It's similar to SRB2's autobrake, but for jumping. I'll make sure players can turn this off or tweak it, since it's very different from vanilla SRB2 behavior. Neither this nor SA-Sonic's natural air drag will affect spring-launches.
srb20193.gif

Precise jumps like this are easy to land even from massive distance leaps. Controls/physics stuff is hard to show off in GIFs...
im not shocked to see this mod gets released in xmas 2021 or heck maybe before xmas 2021

srb20193.gif

Oh ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back