2.3 Discussion

really all i want is to be able to save custom games without a patch. i understand why you can't do this currently for cheating reasons but i don't see why it can't just disable emblems and the ability to unlock content while custom content is loaded while still allowing you to save. the idea that players could use broken characters to blow through the game too easily is irrelevant since they could just do that without saving anyway.

oh and switching over to udmf maps or at least having compatibility for them. i first figured it was infeasible but apparently srb2k is going to have it in 2.0 so i can't imagine it's impossible for the main game. would really open up mapping possibilities but i understand it's a tall order.
Personally I think something that would be pretty fair is the ability to flag a save slot as "modded". As long as you are playing on that save slot, the game behaves as though it is modified other than that you are able to save progress. You cannot collect emblems, cannot earn unlockables, etc. This allows you to play through the game as modded characters over multiple sittings in a way that is fair. You would have to reboot the game in it's vanilla state to be able to save on normal save slots again, but that's not too big of an issue.

Perhaps modded slots could even remember which character mod was saved to it so that it automatically gets loaded into the game when you select that slot if it's not loaded already?

Perhaps modded slots could even remember which character mod was saved to it so that it automatically gets loaded into the game when you select that slot if it's not loaded already?
now that's a fantastic idea. shouldn't be at all difficult to add either since this is pretty much how loading into modded mp games already works

I Saw On Youtube A Possible 2.3 Leak Hinting At A CTF Stage That Looks Like Its From Doom As Well As Running Through A Loop

Actually, one thing i really think could bring up SRB2's momentum based gameplay in 2.3 is this mod by @Frostiikin https://mb.srb2.org/addons/v1-3-crossmomentum-a-complete-gameplay-overhaul.1371/
This is a complete gameplay overhaul of SRB2 that adds a whole bunch of new moves and makes the gameplay more momentum based and fast paced. Specifically, what he did to sonic, amy and tails really gets me. Sonic gets a momentum thok/jumpthok (which sort of solves the lack of vertical moves issue) and Tails's slow clunky crappy flight is replaced with 3 short but massive upward bursts which, when combined with a good spindash, basically allow him to skip MAJOR sections of the level, as well as amy basically getting a massive overhaul which i won't go into here. The mod in my opinion is probably THE BEST mod in the entire game and if if the devs took some massive notes from this guy (as well as remake the level design to be more suited towards speedy momentum gameplay like this) it could completely change the game for the better.
XMom is.. good, but I wouldn't say it should replace the standard physics. While the physics do, indeed, need rebalancing, (we really need a slope/ramp update) I wouldn't say it needs an outright overhaul.

a man once told me, that 2.3 will have menus
honestly I preffer the <2.2 menus to the newer Android-Like Menus.

XMom is.. good, but I wouldn't say it should replace the standard physics. While the physics do, indeed, need rebalancing, (we really need a slope/ramp update) I wouldn't say it needs an outright overhaul.
I bet this is something that's already on the works... Specially because (I guess) they are doing the loops and probably wall running too, so for that they would have to overhaul the physics, atleast the slope ones

I highly doubt they're bringing in loops or wall running
weeeeeeeeell
welllll.gif
this is taken from the official SRB2 Discord in the Development section. if you already knew this sorry for being annoying ignore me.

I could have sworn that they were going to be left out because of the whole sprite angle thing where you needed more sprites for at least a few more angles.

Last edited:
I could have sworn that they were going to be left out because of the whole sprite angle thing where you needed more sprites for at least a few more angles.
Actually 🤓, there's plenty of lua codes to do that on SRB2 2.2 already

Actually 🤓, there's plenty of lua codes to do that on SRB2 2.2 already

That doesn't prove him wrong. sloperollangle operates without adding any new sprites, meaning the player character has no visible rotation when viewed from certain angles which is incogruent with the angle of the floor. That's the exact problem which Glaber was describing, and it would only be exacerbated by the ability to run on walls.

There are a few solutions I can think of, none of which are incredibly appealing but that on it's own doesn't necessarily rule them out.

• Render playable character sprites in such a way that they are always facing the camera, which would look odd from above and below.
  • Render playable character sprites separate from which way the camera is facing, causing characters to appear flat from above and below, which could be abused in certain online game modes.
  • Always use spin sprites for playable characters when seen from above or below, which could look odd under certain contexts.
  • Transition entirely to using OGL 3D models for characters, solving the visual problem but removing the option to use the legacy art style while simultaneously upping the required hardware specs to run the game. This in particular could prove detrimental to players with potato PC's.

1: What about multiplayer?
2: see 1
3: Would only really work with spin only loops
4: See the end of the Paragraph,
1 and 2: I had multiplayer in mind when writing my post. With 1, you would sometimes have situations where it looks like a character is facing you when they are actually just above/below you, whereas with 2 the flat nature of the sprites could be abused to render players invisible to each other when seen from above/below, landing cheap shots in match for example.
3. Not necessarily, but it would definitely look odd to have characters suddenly spinning for a moment as they run past you from above/below when they aren't actually spinning, and it would be especially jarring for characters like Espio and Blaze.
4. All you did here is reiterate the point I already made, so I don't really see the point to it's inclusion in your reply at all.

There are a few solutions I can think of, none of which are incredibly appealing but that on it's own doesn't necessarily rule them out.

• Render playable character sprites in such a way that they are always facing the camera, which would look odd from above and below.
  • Render playable character sprites separate from which way the camera is facing, causing characters to appear flat from above and below, which could be abused in certain online game modes.
  • Always use spin sprites for playable characters when seen from above or below, which could look odd under certain contexts.
  • Transition entirely to using OGL 3D models for characters, solving the visual problem but removing the option to use the legacy art style while simultaneously upping the required hardware specs to run the game. This in particular could prove detrimental to players with potato PC's.
If you look at the .gif image, it looks like the issue with workload is ameliorated by using a combination of sprite angles and clever camera code (ie. not allowing characters to be viewed from the top).

As for making 3D models the way to go, even today's bargain basement Celerons can render 3D well enough for well optimized games (even though the detail level can't be too high which is no problem with SRB2). If anyone had a PC so old that it had trouble running 3D of any kind, then I commend them for their ability to actually make it run in this day and age.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back