2.3 Discussion

When I was new to the game, I didn't even have any trouble with the thok what so ever, as I played some other games that something like the thok. It's not bad once you get used to it, which might be very quickly depending on the player.
Yet your experience is not the only one. Krab's Q&A doc listed not too far above shows numerous examples of people struggling with the game itself.

Does sonic even need a vertical movement move? Tails and Knuckles were designed with the vertical movement advantage from the start. Not just for SRB2, but for the official games they appear in too. (not counting SA2 for Tails)

He doesn't. That's kind of the thing. If it were up to me, FSonic's abilities would just be integrated into normal sonic, and he gains a couple of extra stuff too like a jumpswitch (is that what it's called?) and a peelout. The thok works, but sonic needs more benefits than just Thok and elemental shield use. He felt more lacking compared to the other characters, but not just because "oh he doesn't have any good vertical movement". Tails and Knuckles completely dominate in vertical movement, so i feel that sonic should dominate in horizontal too.

Ultimately, I don't see why trying to be more similar to the source material should be seen as a thing that makes the game "less unique" and therefore worse.
This. A million times, this. While it does technically make SRB2 more "Generic" in that it's fitting into the age old mold of what makes a Sonic game a Sonic game, I heavily disagree with the entire premise that "Generic" means "Bad". While there are some things that SRB2 can do to set itself apart from other 3D Sonic fangames, I feel no need for the devs to go overboard with that concept just to please those who would dismiss SRB2 at a glance just for being a typical Classic Sonic game, but with a third axis of directional movement. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I think we should be asking "why does sonic need a move for vertical movement?"
Although entirely unsurprising coming from me at this point, I agree with this a thousand fold as well. I see the issue with Sonic being unable to keep up with Tails and Knuckles less as an issue of Sonic lacking verticality, and more of an issue of the level design being too uphill. It's only natural that Sonic is going to climb mountain shaped levels slower than Tails and Knuckles can fly and climb up them. This is why Classic Sonic level design was structured more like a roller coaster in which slow climbs were kept brief as a buildup to the next speedy section you can roll downhill to gain massive speed, and depending on your skill level perhaps even keep it.

... ok, I knew what it was, but since you isolated the statement itself...
why in the world could Sonic be able to swap gravity on the go? Sounds more like you'd (the original jumpswitch proposer) want a stomp.
A stomp (or even a bounce for that matter) would be stupid. THIS AIN'T SONIC ADVENTURE!

A stomp (or even a bounce for that matter) would be stupid. THIS AIN'T SONIC ADVENTURE!
I can now object considering the following:
- The Bubble Bounce was already a thing prior to Adventure, and if you look into Sonic 3 development, it was VERY LIKELY that at some point in Sonic 3's development, the elemental shield abilities were Sonic's main moveset.
- The Thok literally uses a sound from Sonic Adventure and was meant to be a Sonic Adventure-esque Homing Attack. That train of logic doesn't exactly help.
- SRB2 also literally has a shield stomp.
- It's also arguably less out of place than Sonic changing gravity for a split second.

My point was that a stomp/double jump would serve the same role as a grav-switch without being utterly out of place for Sonic.

- The Bubble Bounce was already a thing prior to Adventure, and if you look into Sonic 3 development, it was VERY LIKELY that at some point in Sonic 3's development, the elemental shield abilities were Sonic's main moveset.
- The Thok literally uses a sound from Sonic Adventure and was meant to be a Sonic Adventure-esque Homing Attack. That train of logic doesn't exactly help.
- SRB2 also literally has a shield stomp.
- It's also arguably less out of place than Sonic changing gravity for a split second.

My point was that a stomp/double jump would serve the same role as a grav-switch without being utterly out of place for Sonic.
None of that is what I meant.

Source, please? Can't find any info on the web.

Source, please? Can't find any info on the web.
1. In the Sonic 3 prototype, the shield abilities have yet to exist... but we have other abilities, which indicate that something was likely being done with Sonic's moveset.
2. If you analyze Mecha Sonic's moveset... you see that he has not only one of the unused abilities from Sonic in Mecha's Super form (throwing rings) but ALSO versions of the elemental shield abilities.
3. You can then make the connection that perhaps... the Elemental Shield abilities weren't originally just for the shields.

1. In the Sonic 3 prototype, the shield abilities have yet to exist... but we have other abilities, which indicate that something was likely being done with Sonic's moveset.
2. If you analyze Mecha Sonic's moveset... you see that he has not only one of the unused abilities from Sonic in Mecha's Super form (throwing rings) but ALSO versions of the elemental shield abilities.
3. You can then make the connection that perhaps... the Elemental Shield abilities weren't originally just for the shields.
So MCSonic before MCSonic.

Actually, one thing i really think could bring up SRB2's momentum based gameplay in 2.3 is this mod by @Frostiikin https://mb.srb2.org/addons/v1-3-crossmomentum-a-complete-gameplay-overhaul.1371/
This is a complete gameplay overhaul of SRB2 that adds a whole bunch of new moves and makes the gameplay more momentum based and fast paced. Specifically, what he did to sonic, amy and tails really gets me. Sonic gets a momentum thok/jumpthok (which sort of solves the lack of vertical moves issue) and Tails's slow clunky crappy flight is replaced with 3 short but massive upward bursts which, when combined with a good spindash, basically allow him to skip MAJOR sections of the level, as well as amy basically getting a massive overhaul which i won't go into here. The mod in my opinion is probably THE BEST mod in the entire game and if if the devs took some massive notes from this guy (as well as remake the level design to be more suited towards speedy momentum gameplay like this) it could completely change the game for the better.

really all i want is to be able to save custom games without a patch. i understand why you can't do this currently for cheating reasons but i don't see why it can't just disable emblems and the ability to unlock content while custom content is loaded while still allowing you to save. the idea that players could use broken characters to blow through the game too easily is irrelevant since they could just do that without saving anyway.

oh and switching over to udmf maps or at least having compatibility for them. i first figured it was infeasible but apparently srb2k is going to have it in 2.0 so i can't imagine it's impossible for the main game. would really open up mapping possibilities but i understand it's a tall order. (apparently though it's already in the cards for 2.3 yay)

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back