2.3 Discussion

And if you don't know how to do that(which is fair, I don't even know if SRB2 on consoles like that is possible, myself, and the game is unstable enough on android), you can always connect a controller to whatever device you use to play the game and play it like that to make it feel like it's on a console like that.
Exactly. Not sure how you do that with the controllers that dont support Bluetooth,though.

...True. In the case of laptops, that's usually not a problem, but then there's the phones.
Either way, what I said was just merely a suggestion. :P
And thats why i like it.Its a simpler way of "playing SRB2 on diffrent consoles", and it doesnt require doing the entire port for a console.

What could be even more identical like a "console port" is that if your phone/PC supports showing what your doing on TV,then you can connect a controller to your device,enable the feature i said,and you basicly have a console port now (its best to do on PC,though phone is also ok)

Might as well throw in my two cents. From what I've heard/seen, this is mostly what I'm expecting from 2.3.
  • DSZ2 remake - The one in the game currently is a weird mash of early DSZ1 assets thrown together AFAIK, and we've already seen gifs of a much larger DSZ2 before 2.2 released. This is honestly the thing I'm looking forward to the most in 2.3 aside from ERZ due to me just loving Deep Sea Zone and the fact that Act 2 just feels like Act 1 aesthetic-wise really bothers me. Every zone in the game right now has an Act 2 that is VERY different compared to Act 1 except for Deep Sea. I'd go into this a bit more, but I don't want to make this any longer than I think it might end up being and besides I think you get the point LOL

• ERZ remake - This was originally going to be in 2.2 before it was decided to just release the update and save ERZ for later. Not much to say here, but I'm pretty excited to see what gets done with the Metal Sonic race.

• RVZ2 and 3 - Again, not much to say here. RVZ2 is a main goal for 2.3 from what I've heard, and Act 3 is kind of a given if you're going to have Act 2.

• Dark City and Grand Eggship - ...Act 1. Realistically, I'm only expecting Act 1 from each. Every new zone in the game has always just been introduced with one act, so it'd make sense. I also think that Grand Eggship would work best as one long act anyway, being a sort of Wing Fortress or Sky Sanctuary-like stage for SRB2. It's meant to be the ship going up to Egg Rock, so it'd be kind of odd for it to be two full acts with a boss.

• Revamped Multiplayer stages - I understand that it's likely that Ringslinger is getting removed, but there's probably going to be a new multiplayer gamemode to replace it. ...I hope. It'd be nice to see all of the old crusty Ringslinger stages revamped to have slopes and just generally look nicer.

• MISC STUFF WOW!!!
    • Palette changes - Heard this was going to happen at some point, and it's definitely not happening in a patch. Please fix those god awful yellows...
    • General level tweaks and new gimmicks - Judging by the devetopment channel, THZ seems to be getting much larger with the steam gimmick being reworked. GFZ also seems to be getting a new badnik..??
    • Sprite tweaks - New shields by Chrispy have been posted in the devetopment channel as well, and I'm hoping that Jet Jaws and Skims get new sprites. Maybe even Crawla Commanders? Sure, they're unused, but I think they're neat and deserve more love LOL
    • Better menus - Nothing to say about this, its self explanatory.
    • Sonic rework - We all know this. The thok isn't staying. I like it personally, but I agree that it kind of sucks ass as an ability.
    • also ummm add milen to 2.3 thanks!!!!!!!!!!

• MISC STUFF WOW!!!
    • Palette changes - Heard this was going to happen at some point, and it's definitely not happening in a patch. Please fix those god awful yellows...
    • General level tweaks and new gimmicks - Judging by the devetopment channel, THZ seems to be getting much larger with the steam gimmick being reworked. GFZ also seems to be getting a new badnik..??
    • Sprite tweaks - New shields by Chrispy have been posted in the devetopment channel as well, and I'm hoping that Jet Jaws and Skims get new sprites. Maybe even Crawla Commanders? Sure, they're unused, but I think they're neat and deserve more love LOL
    • Better menus - Nothing to say about this, its self explanatory.
    • Sonic rework - We all know this. The thok isn't staying. I like it personally, but I agree that it kind of sucks ass as an ability.
    • also ummm add milen to 2.3 thanks!!!!!!!!!!
There are going to be new (and revised) palettes in v2.2.12, I believe.
I would really like to know what this badnik is (and hopefully it won't replace the Red Crawlas, they're very funny and epic and shouldn't be left in the dust like in v2.1).
The vanilla cast is getting a sprite revamp in v2.2.12, but I do hope the Crawla Commander gets used or revamped somehow, I don't think it should be just an unused enemy (assuming Techno Legacy gets removed in v2.3 or a v2.2 patch)
better menus
i second ading minne to sarby 2 (very epic)
a few more comments, while I do hope a dark city addition gets more than just one act right off the bat, I do understand why DCZ would get just one act, since every new level since around 2.0, heck, even Final Demo, (mostly being completely brand new, and not a level from the SRB2 TGF version) have only been one act (ACZ, RVZ) with only a few exceptions (DSZ if you don't count the two indev FD builds, ERZ), but I actually do like the idea of Grand Eggship being a "Sky Chase" zone for SRB2, only having one act, I mean, the rocket in Red Volcano is fine and all but it doesn't really make much sense?? I guess it'd be better for you to go onto the ship in RVZ to fly up to ERZ
i approve of all of these epic suggestions 👍
Post automatically merged:

oh, and also, srb2 has been ported to the switch before, but generally modding nintendo consoles (especially later ones like the switch) is very difficult and not really worth the risk of having your entire system banned
like seriously just get a phone and get a controller and that's quite literally what srb2 on the switch is, let alone the wii or gamecube
there's those guys, i get it, but like all of that would be unofficial, and pretty hard to maintain, more ports would probably come out if srb2 was "absolutely finished", in some dystopian future where arid canyon's music didn't sound as good as in srb2 v2.2 or v2.1/2.0

Last edited:
Here's a bullet list of additions that I think should be in 2.3
  • 2.2 mod compatibility hopefully
  • RVZ2/3 added
  • Vanilla map revamps (Larger maps or remade levels)
  • Momentum (kinda like XMomentum)
  • Loop physics/wallrunning i guess (Making use for much better levels)
  • DCZ added
  • New character (Maybe vanilla Mario or vanilla Shadow)
  • ERZ finally getting an act 3
  • BCZ being its own zone with maybe 5 acts or smth idk
  • Secret boss unlock when you beat the game with all emeralds (Like the Subarashii true final boss but with multiplayer support I guess?)
  • More challenge stages
  • Switching to different SRB2 versions so you can host your netgames in 2.1, 2.0, etc anytime you want
  • Mod manager (so you can install mods and use them while SRB2 is still open)
  • Giant rings leading to revamped NiGHTS stages, halfpipes like Sonic 4: Episode 2 or an obstacle course on a time limit leading to the emerald
  • A way to make custom NiGHTS special stages?
Looks like a lot to read, but that's what I think should be added to give the game a lot more playability.
These suggestions could also give Sonic Team Jr. an idea for an SRB3 or smth, but we never know.

2.3 should totally include removing addons though (aside from the essentials like the srb2.pk3 and zones.dta, and probably generally all stuff added by SRB2 itself that isn't in an autoexec file), because it's literally painful to close out the game, reopen it, add the wrong version of the file you want, and have to do it all over again many many times because you KEEP ADDING VERSION 1 AND NOT VERSION 2 BY MISTAKE
Post automatically merged:

it would be fun to add 2.1 mods in srb2 2.3 or a later version of 2.2 though, but switching between 2.1, 2.0, or 2.2 is probably impossible (it's a miracle we have a build of srb2 where we can seamlessly switch between levels, but different versions of the game is a little more impossible)
it would be pretty funny though if you could unlock mario himself after beating pipe towers, but idk how he would actually play or whatnot, and i have no idea how a vanilla shadow would be unlocked (new bonus map?), but generally srb2 probably won't have any new characters in vanilla in srb2 v2.3 since getting fang, amy, and metal were blessings in and of itself, let alone getting another one
and also, for making custom nights levels, you can just use zone builder, but a custom level editor inside srb2 wouldn't be the worst (or at least a link to uzb or zone builder)
Zone Builder
Ultimate Zone Builder
finally, new special stage ideas would probably be delegated to the multiplayer campaign, as those levels are direct ports of v2.0's special stage lineup with mostly texture changes, (the reason being the regular ones were laggy in 2.1's mp i think), but again, a bunch of these ideas would be cool, but they're practically impossible, or sorta uneeded
promise me, whatever comes in 2.3 will be a total blessing, not without minor annoyances of course

Last edited:
Why are you guys suggesting P Ranks? I understand the rest, but P?

Let me guess, you guys were thinking of Pizza Tower and it's usage or P Ranks?

I think something else could go over P Rank. Like, uh... SS? Does that count?

I feel like SS rank would show up if you get less than 30 seconds in a level, since Sonic games usually determine a higher score based on the fastest time to complete the level and not the highest score you get while playing. In Pizza Tower P Ranks are given out with both objectives in mind.

Why are you guys suggesting P Ranks? I understand the rest, but P?

Let me guess, you guys were thinking of Pizza Tower and it's usage or P Ranks?

I feel like SS rank would show up if you get less than 30 seconds in a level, since Sonic games usually determine a higher score based on the fastest time to complete the level and not the highest score you get while playing. In Pizza Tower P Ranks are given out with both objectives in mind.
And keep in mind that Pizza Tower has nothing to do with Sonic.
...Seriously, they're made by completely different people.

I've seen several variations used in a number of games that have ranking systems. Some have S, SS, and SSS. I've also seen S, S+, and S++. The only other variation I can remember off the top of my head is X as the highest rank, usually either after S or SSS.

P could make sense though, if you think of it as being shorthand for "Perfect". It could be a rank denotation that indicates to the player that they got the highest score possible. Though, such a thing might not be very fitting for something like SRB2.

In fact, I feel like adding a ranking system in general should be reserved for addons or challenge modes. Ranking systems are generally a thing that exist to, well, rank the player. If you're playing through the stages casually there's no need for such a thing, and as it just so happens SRB2 does have side challenges such as Time Attack that would be a better fit for it.

if 2.3 will have menus. I think the menus need to be moddable like adding new menus to the title screen. and dont have to change mod options (like the tweaks mod) and have an custom option in the menu

I think a option for the characters' movesets would be pretty awesome! Instead of the community bickering over whether or not the Thok needs to go, why not just have a option for Sonic's ability? What about the other characters' abilities? A SA1-styled flight option for Tails would be cool! And, to top it off, since these options significantly change the characters, in Record Attack, there could be different sets of records for each version of the characters, and different pages on Speedrun.com for each version of the characters. This way, nobody has to commit tax fraud, and nobody has to argue about what abilities the characters should have! Although, I might(y) be asking for too much here...

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back