SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Kart Releases & Mods > Kart Miscellaneous

KartMP: A hot take on Kart balance Details »»
KartMP: A hot take on Kart balance
Developer Last Online: Jul 2020

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (3 votes - 3.80 average)
Released: 04-20-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
Scripts

KartMP is an addon that features togglable solutions to certain balance issues seen in SRB2Kart.
All of them are disabled by default, it's up to the server host to choose which features they want to activate.

List of commands (On/Off toggles) and the reasoning behind them:
  • kmp_bumpspark: Allows you to keep your Drift Spark after bumping a wall. This also fixes drift direction switching after bumping a wall.
    Spoiler: Reasoning

I always found situations where you barely bump a corner because of a slight misjudgement or because of lag to be frustrating, especially because you lose all your speed and that it takes forever to build it back. This change allows you to minimize such a mistake so long as it's not too great, as you will be able to release your drift after the bump to get back to speed thanks to the acceleration given by a drift boost. This allows the games to feel much more fluid overall.

• kmp_hardsneakers: Sets the Sneaker boost to 50% instead of 27.5% in Hard game speed. Makes catching up a whole lot easier.

I find hard speed to be horribly unfun to play as it punishes mistakes far too much. Yet it seems to be the preferred gamespeed for most of the servers. A prominent issue in hard mode is that Sneakers are rarely ever useful outside of shortcuts, which makes people more prone to holding onto them and getting them stolen. This change allows Sneakers (And particularly Rocket Sneakers) to be a lot more useful and allow you to recover from mistakes.

• kmp_extendflashtics: Extends invulnerability after taking damage according to the number of players in the game.

When recovering from a hit, you're a slow moving easy target, and it's easy for passing players to just drop another middle finger with another orbinaut, thus adding to your frustration.

• kmp_slowspinout: Reverts spinout to its slower 1.0.4 iteration.

bruh.

• kmp_floatingitemfuse: Makes dropped floating items disappear after a variable amount of time that depends on the amount of laps required to clear the map.
    Spoiler: Reasonig

No, first place shouldn't be able to pick up Invincibility or Growth, this is stupid and further amplifies the escape velocity problem V1 has.

• kmp_itemlimiter: Limits how many of a single item you can get when the player count goes past 8. This change primarily affects Decabananas.
    Games with 8+ players quickly become a mess once quad orbinauts and decabananas start being commonly obtained by players. This aims to limit the chaos somewhat.

• kmp_orbitlimit: Changes the way orbiting items are handled; they spin faster when first brought out and slow down to a crawl overtime. This rewards good timing with better protection against players that want to get a bit too close to your comfort zone. A timer will start depleting after using the item. If it reaches 0, the item is destroyed, so use it before then.

The timer exists notably to prevent Double Jawz users from being impossible to pass safely as they keep hoarding onto their item which they can keep out for no cost or punishment at all.
    The faster spin rewards timing and gives an incentive to want to keep your item undeployed until the right time.

• kmp_hyudoro: Extends Hyudoro duration.
    Makes Hyudoro an actually worthwhile and powerful item beyond stealing stuff. You become invulnerable to any and all items and bumps but can also freely go over offorad during that time, making it a semi decent item for catching up!

• kmp_orbinautfuse: Makes orbinauts disappear a while after being thrown.
    Orbinauts kind of become really powerful permanent hazards when thrown in long straights like Virtual Highway's beginning section where they'll bounce back and forth for the entierety of the game. This will make them disappear after a while to solidify their use as on-the-spot projectiles rather than slow moving bananas.

• kmp_growthbump: Disables growth squish in mid-air and at low speeds.
    Getting squished in mid air feels horrible, getting squished by a growth player you hit from behind moving at a snail's pace also feels horrible. This fixes that.

• kmp_haste: Tyron's Haste Lua. Gives low speed characters longer drift sparks.
    In most cases, high speed characters are by far superior, as unless they get hit, at equal skill levels, they will always outdo lower speed tiers. This change allows low speed characters to shine when taking turns with longer drift boosts that can really make a difference and even the playing field!

• kmp_offroad: Brings back offroad leniency of 1/4th of a second, but harshly punishes players trying to drift through offroad without a sneaker.

Lawmowing is still a prominent problem as you can charge drift before entering offroad and release sparks afterwards to undo the slowdown. V1 adresses this problem by introducing Glue, which is the absolute worst band-aid solution in my opinion because it harshly punishes players that ended into offroad against their will as well.
    This change will slow down players drifting in offroad without sneakers or a ghost to the point where they lose their drift sparks, thus preventing cheese. The grace period allows for more lenient cornering and allows to be a bit more greedy with how sharp you can take your turns, tiny mistakes no longer harshly punish you.

Mandatory fixes: Adding KartMP will fix the following recurring issues. There is no toggle.

Fixes an issue where your own orbiting shields didn't protect you against your own items (lol):

Fixes spring pads not liking size difference: (Courtesy of jameds)

Download Now

File Type: pk3 KL_kartmp-v1.pk3 (9.1 KB, 297 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0768.gif
Views:	70
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	29862   Click image for larger version

Name:	kart0766.gif
Views:	75
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	29863  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 04-20-2020   #2
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored

The modtype prefix needs to be upper case.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020   #3
Lat'
Absolute territory where

Reuploaded.
Lat' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020   #4
wolfs
Watch Symphogear
Developer

Welcome to releases!
[23:56:36] <SM-MaxX> prisma illya is a gift to this impure earth and a shining beacon for all anime
wolfs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020   #5
aa479758
The average Puyo Player

I'm very interested in some of these features that have been made for this add-on. Hopefully I have the time to try them out.
aa479758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020   #6
Katmint

These are good changes so I'd turn pretty much all of them on.
Katmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020   #7
Alessand97

Is there a way to turn them on while launching a dedicated server?
Alessand97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020   #8
Lucario_
Lucario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessand97 View Post
Is there a way to turn them on while launching a dedicated server?
In "kartserv.cfg" file, add this line:
Code:
addfile "KL_kartmp-v1.pk3"

Lucario - The Aura Pokémon
Lucario_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020   #9
Alessand97

I meant enabling all options
Old 05-18-2020   #10
Alessand97

Testing I found out you can just write them in the kartserv.cfg like kmp_haste On
Old 05-21-2020   #11
SCOTT0852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario_ View Post
In "kartserv.cfg" file, add this line:
Code:
addfile "KL_kartmp-v1.pk3"
Don't do this. When running the game, use "-file KL_kartmp-v1.pk3" as a launch argument. You can then put the commands you want to run in kartserv.cfg.
Old 3 Days Ago   #12
aa479758
The average Puyo Player

So after testing this addon for a bit, I noticed that the slow spinout feature seems to be bugged in 1.2. (Though I could be wrong.) I enabled it but I still travel at half speed when spinning out instead of slowing down. This didn't happen in when I tested it in 1.1.
aa479758 is offline   Reply With Quote