Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys! I just came back from watching this really cool Youtube video. One of our favourite things from Sonic 4 is back!

Further explanation from Kirby:

Also, it only lasts a few seconds, it's NOTHING like Sonic 4 Episode 1.

(EDIT: You also cannot move what-so-ever for some reason...)

Well I guess we'll have to do with a few seconds of not moving while you stand on the wall before sliding down.... Or better yet, not, once they fix the bugs before releasing this in 3 months. (Oh, who am I kidding, they're not going to fix this.)

Hey, guys! I just came back from watching this really cool Youtube video. One of our favourite things from Sonic 4 is back!

Further explanation from Kirby:

Well I guess we'll have to do with a few seconds of not moving while you stand on the wall before sliding down.... Or better yet, not, once they fix the bugs before releasing this in 3 months. (Oh, who am I kidding, they're not going to fix this.)

Not that big of a deal, since it takes alot to activate it.

When did they nerf the spindash? That guy in Chemical Plant was still going pretty fast with it.

Edit: I see framerate drops.
THIS GAME IS SHIT AND I WILL NEVER BUY IT, SEGA WILL NEVER TRICK ME AGAIN.

Edit2: I see parts of Flying Battery, I forgive you Sega even though I really shouldn't as Sonic Team did this.

Last edited:
At about 1:10, I see bits of Flying Battery, but that could just be me since I played it two nights ago. >>

I'll show you guys this on that's from the Sega forum:

MrFranklin said:
Touching on what I said earlier, when you think about it Colours is a repurposed Generations Wii. It all slots into place now.

1) The same badnik models.

2) Sonic Generations was developed 2.5 years ago. So Sonic Colours was developed alongside it, after Generations Wii was scrapped perhaps a year or so into development.

3) Fans pointed out that the co-op stages in Sonic Colours seemed to be based on classic stages. Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking? Iizuka-san denied it but I think they are the Generations Wii stages stripped down to their basic textureless, backgroundless self.

4) The space theme was quickly chosen for Colours. Ideal for producing a pretty looking Wii game without worrying about organic level design of zones like Green Hill that likely looked awful on the Wii.

5) The space theme also allowed them to turn the game around quickly on a lower budget. Less story to worry about to tie things together and disjointed planet areas tied together by a map.

6) The final boss sorta resembles the Time Eater a little bit. If I couldn't make it look good on the Wii as an organic creature I'd redesign it as a robot with a lower polygon count for Colours final boss. I really do believe that Sonic Team will have based the Time Eater on it's real world fame
It's possible.

Last edited:
That isn't flying battery. I don't recall pink liquid in that level and nerfing the spindash doesn't break anything that is why Sega changed it without hesitating.

oh no you can stand on walls the game is ruined
Assuming you're making a big deal out of the last two seconds of that video like everyone else seems to do, I was never able to do that in all the time I had playing the demo. It seems to be isolated to that one case, and the bickering about a minor issue is something even I haven't seen... Well, outside of Sonic Retro.

The modern Chemical Plant looks insanely fun. Where's our modern Sonic demo?

I can't wait for the modern version of the Chemical Plant Zone music to be available to download. Classic version is 99% the same.

City Escape's modern music is unchanged, and still unloved by me. I prefer the classic one.

Assuming you're making a big deal out of the last two seconds of that video like everyone else seems to do, I was never able to do that in all the time I had playing the demo. It seems to be isolated to that one case, and the bickering about a minor issue is something even I haven't seen... Well, outside of Sonic Retro.

The last thing I wanted to be reminded of when it comes to this game was Sonic 4. But no, it's not too big a deal if it's as minor as Kirby said it was.

And that's some pretty nice Chemical Plant footage. I'm missing the intense speed though, considering the momentum seems to be toned down, plus one of my favourite bursts of speed (zooming through the loops at insane speeds) wasn't shown. However I'm keeping my mind a little bit more open at the moment that this just may as well surprise me.

Then again, some of it still seems scripted (coming off of the large ramp and the curves immediately afterward). I'll just have to wait, methinks, to see if it hinders my experience with this title.

EDIT: Oh wait. Of course it felt scripted. That ramp had TWO boosters in order to help Sonic get up the ramp. Sega STILL can't get a proper Retro Sonic experience right because Sonic, while he does gain momentum, doesn't gain enough because of too much friction. I swear, they make this stuff look like rocket science. Forget that last paragraph, I should have known Sega is still incredibly incompetent with their flagship franchise.

What makes this scenario worse is that they have the code to the Genesis classics on Emulator waiting for another re-re-re-re-release. And yet they aren't going to study the code or the working mechanisms or check out the many copies of Sonic Retro's Physics Guide that I'm sure Aaron's forwarded them thousands of times now?

Sorry for giving you the benefit of the doubt, Sega. I should know better by now. Iizuka's current excuse rings all too clear to me now. So much for a functional Retro Sonic experience.

Last edited:
Noticed that design flaw, Greg. It is a little embarrassing that they threw in a booster to help the player and yet it still doesn't get them completely up.

I do kinda wish that they'd get rid of that odd-looking auto launch they seem to put at the top of every ramp that curves up 90 degrees and just let the player go really fast to get up there.

Then again, that's the only video we've seen of that particular segment.

Still...it's a noteworthy flaw.

Okay then, so how will one part of the level which doesn't work out exactly as you wanted it ruin the entire game again?
For all we know, the friction could be perfect and prevent things from screwing up running wise and the problem could be the gravity formulas which are similar to Modern mode to keep the same consistency.
Consider it a challenge that part, rather than gimmicks such as drowning and disappearing floor.

Okay then, so how will one part of the level which doesn't work out exactly as you wanted it ruin the entire game again?
For all we know, the friction could be perfect and prevent things from screwing up running wise and the problem could be the gravity formulas which are similar to Modern mode to keep the same consistency.
Consider it a challenge that part, rather than gimmicks such as drowning and disappearing floor.

This means that Rolling in the whole of the game is broken. Oh sure! We'll bring back Classic Sonic. Oh wait... You want Classic Gameplay too? Uh... Uh... HERE. We'll give you Sonic 4 while fixing one of the big problems that obviously needed fixing since Classic Sonic doesn't have a homing attack.

I'm sorry. When I saw Retro Sonic from the very start, I would have thought they would have cared to blindside all of the Retro fans with incredibly accurate gameplay. In fact, I was going to even sacrifice complete accuracy as long as they got the gameplay 80% right. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Look where it got me.

I can't trust Iizuka to bring me that kind of enjoyment. I should have realized that last year, but no. It's totally not like they brought out the most beloved form of their character back from the grave. No. And trust me when I say... Iizuka's words mean more than you think. This man is in charge of the direction the games are made. Most problems are probably more intricate than I think, but when the man who tells us that Sonic 4's physics were SPECIALLY made so that Sonic could actually run on ceilings because he TOTALLY couldn't have done that in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is in charge of the series's direction you better bet that a whole lot of the problems start there.

On top of a game with a really weak choice of levels, incredibly cheesy autotune remixes and an appalling lack of diversity in the series's rich history in favor to accommodate for the Modern Fans' hunger for Cities, this is beyond disappointing. For a game embracing the Sonic history and all its core fans's greatest fantasy to have remade stages in HD(debatable on Adventure fans, since there are STILL too many 2D sections), it sure loves to ignore most of it for what we loved most. The city!

Last edited:
Good God. One of the things I hated the most about most Sonic Fans is that someone is always going to bitch and complain about Sonic's new game in some way. They're always finding ridiculous and stupid reasons to complain about this game. Some of the posters in this topic are no exception to the "complaining about stupid shit" rule. If you love the classic games so much, go hug and enjoy your Sega Genesis. Stop whining about the new games that quite frankly I would dare to say a lot of us would actually enjoy.

On that note, I'm absolutely loving Sonic Generations so far. This whole game is a great big awesome Nostalgia Trip for me. I've been with Sonic since Sonic 1 on the Sega Genesis and I've always played most, if not all, of their games. And seeing such a game with all of my favorite stages, music, and all of the such, is such a great thing to see. Especially in nice High Definition. I must also say, that upon seeing this
holyrayandmighty.png

I... well had a Sonic Fangasm. I happen to love Mighty, and seeing that they care enough to put such a cameo in this game well... it's just amazing. Sonic Generations is proving to be more of a "Nostalgic Trip" than Sonic 4 was, which, I enjoyed by the way, despite the physics problems I never encountered unless I actually TRIED to encounter them.

Okay, is this a long enough Essay? Long Story short, for those of you who do the "tl;dr" thing this is for you.

I hate people who whine about stupid crap for the new Sonic games, and I'm absolutely loving this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back