Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to force you to upload another bugfix, but the teleport on the new path of DDZ2 has a tag that refers to no sectors, thus making the player stuck.

Sadly, the Alien Armageddon Zone Act 2 crash still occurs for me, in the same place. I've looked around in SRB2 Doom Builder, and I can't tell what is wrong with it for the life of me.

'Fraid I can't do anything about that.

As for the teleport glitch, though, I've fixed that. v5.2 is on its way.

Red-tile sectors are instant death on contact? Blue-tile sectors are instant death PERIOD? Hell, the only objects that AREN'T instant death in that zone are the robots. You're missing the point of a good mod: to ENJOY PLAYING IT. There is no way I can enjoy playing this.

Can't it just be this to make it less confusing.

Red -> Evil, which, well I don't know, KILLS ya?
Blue -> Good, which it's safe to go by.

Because I too had a issue like this in Spacewalk, so if I figure red kills you, I stay away from those tiles in the level that are flashing red, then I come across red with blue textures, so I figure I should take the Blue Route, right? *Dies*

In my eyes, I think of it as this.

Red -> Deathpit or something
Yellow -> Damage
Blue -> Safe
Black -> Instant Kill

Not to mention, for the flashing red textures, you won't know if it's a insta-kill for the whole sector, or a deathpit, only way to find out is to ether die or just avoid it, which avoiding it isn't the answer sometimes.

You know, for those that are Insta-kill, why not change the texture that flashes black? It could work.

Last edited:
I've pretty consistently used red as death pit, blue as instant kill, and yellow and black as damage (yellow is sometimes electrical and sometimes generic, black is always generic). The whole red/blue issue doesn't really become an important issue until Spacewalk Zone, in which I try to first drill the color significance into players' minds with some "tutorial" rooms before I make it a genuine danger (the rooms with the arrows pointing you towards the red and away from the blue, for instance). I tried to make it as obvious as possible. If I failed in that, I apologize. I'll explore some options in making the gimmick more creative and/or easier to understand.

Did the bugfix include the one on the beginning of sunshine atoll zone? When i went to the place with the coconut tree i sometimes get sigsev'd.

Did the bugfix include the one on the beginning of sunshine atoll zone? When i went to the place with the coconut tree i sometimes get sigsev'd.
Sorry, but I can't really fix that, because I never experience it myself, and therefore I have no way of knowing whether anything I do actually will fix it. Besides, that room is in an extremely delicate balance...the tiniest change to its dimensions can set off a huge network of HOMs, as I have discovered on countless occasions when I try to make changes. The room already has HOMs, but I've contained them to places the players rarely go, and I want to keep it that way. In the meantime, you might try just avoiding that section of the level.
Why is it doing that?
I dunno...you must have had a bad internet connection or something.

Slow down the objects in Gritty Columns Act 2, they move really quickly and they don't even stop or slow down for the player, it is TOO QUICK to jump on! This mainly counts to most platforms.

I just want to announce that Spherallic has earned coauthor status in Tortured Planet for the enormous stack of custom textures he gave me. I might also add that an upcoming new scenery feature was also inspired by Radiant Cavern, so that's more that I have to be thankful to him for. Let's all give him a big round of applause!

UPDATE:

There's something big coming in Tortured Planet v6.0. This time, I'm going to provide an incentive for players to hunt for the emblems. If you can find them all, there'll be a treat waiting for you. I'm also considering a reward for getting the Chaos Emeralds, seeing as I've made it pretty challenging.

Last edited:
I know this isn't that important, but is it possible to put the "Icy Tundra" (Tunes 14) that you added into the mod in a slot that isn't occupied by a song already? It's just kinda annoying that the tune overwrites a tune that I would like to listen to during your Gritty Columns levels.

I have some unfortunate news for all of you. There is a good chance that the ZIP containing Tortured Planet 6.0 will be too large to host directly on this site. Unless that size limit gets increased, I may have to host it through another site like 4shared or MediaFire.

I have some unfortunate news for all of you. There is a good chance that the ZIP containing Tortured Planet 6.0 will be too large to host directly on this site. Unless that size limit gets increased, I may have to host it through another site like 4shared or MediaFire.

Perhaps you could try SRB2FFH?

Glad to see that Fume Shaft Zone 2 doesn't have that bad framerate issue anymore in the Sonic only area... (It's the one with the Green insta-kill slime in which you have to jump vent to vent to past it.)

It must of been fixed before this version came, but the game crashed thanks to that polyobject fan at the beginning of Fume Shaft 2 in some old version, forgot the number.

On another note, isn't the Acid suppose to rise in this room, or has it been taken out?

Uhh...
srb20005.png

srb20006.png

srb20007.png

Not to mention thanks to the wooden part of the Polyobject, I got pushed into a pillar, and became stuck, until I manage to thok out after a few tries. Surprised I didn't die.

srb20008.png

Well, there I go, into a wall.

srb20010.png

...what am I standing on? Perhaps it has to do with the mine cart Polyobject?

So I leave it alone now, and then I see this...
srb20011y.png

Incase you can't see it, look in the center, there's a weird black block right there.

I am hanging off of nothing in Liftoff Gantry Zone 2.
srb20012.png

Missing texture in Spacewalk zone 1.
srb20014.png

Last edited:
That PolyObject mine cart sometimes splits into pieces. There isn't really anything I can do about it. As for the rising acid, that was what was causing the frame lag. The higher it got, the worse the lag. So I sacrificed that gimmick to improve the framerate.

I dunno why that wire mesh would cause you to hang from nothing...I engineered that gimmick pretty meticulously. But I'll go and fix that missing texture in Spacewalk right away.

Oh, and about the crashing that happens to some people on the palm trees of SNZ1, I don't know if this is definitely the cause, but I found a level deformity in that area that could potentially have something to do with it: the ceiling height of the palm tree sectors is 3072 fracunits, but the rest of the room is 1864 fracunits. I've now changed all of it to 2304 fracunits. Even if that doesn't solve the SIGSEGV, it's still a bugfix.

Last edited:
-SWZ3's gravity is screwed up. I had to play as Tails and fly down to the Capsule to finish it.
srb20074.png

-AAZ1's flags have screwy graphical glitches.
srb20075.png

-If you get hit by a Castlebot Facestabber on the platforms in the rising-water library on AAZ2, it sigsevs.

-STOP LURING ME INTO DEATHPITS WITH INVINCIBILITY!!!!!!!!!

That last one's okay, just annoying. Use more starposts and air and less enemies and lag on AAZ. Less lag on SWZ, too, please.

-SWZ3's gravity is screwed up. I had to play as Tails and fly down to the Capsule to finish it.
You mean that the gravity stuck you on the opposite side from the Egg Capsule? Just wait for it to reverse. It's annoying, but I can't really see any way around that short of removing the Egg Capsule entirely. I'm considering that, but I may not do it.

-AAZ1's flags have screwy graphical glitches.
Don't blame me. Blame the code for PolyObjects.

-If you get hit by a Castlebot Facestabber on the platforms in the rising-water library on AAZ2, it sigsevs.
That doesn't sound like a level deformity. You should probably post that in Bug Reports with the EIP.

-STOP LURING ME INTO DEATHPITS WITH INVINCIBILITY!!!!!!!!!
Ummm...what does that even mean? Can you provide an example of a time when Tortured Planet does that?

Use more starposts
I might see about doing that.

What do you mean "use more air"?

and less enemies and lag on AAZ.
That's been a chronic complaint throughout Tortured Planet's history. There may still be most types of enemies in AAZ, but I'll make efforts to depopulate it. Lag, on the other hand, may be harder to fix.

Less lag on SWZ, too, please.
I'm not aware of any excessive lag in SZ. Can you provide an example of an area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back