SRB2 Demo 2 Remaster - 2.1.17, Beta 1

Detons used to have a "loose" homing, actually. You could dodge them, and they accellerated towards you rather than perfectly moving in your direction based on your max speed.

That old type is probably more suitable to the way they're used in THZ2, to be honest.

about the detons, they worked basicly the same way back then as they do today. they chase the player and explode upon contact with anything. but every time I compained about them it was because of how you used them. you gave the player no warning they were there and they were basically ambush traps.

DSZ Spikes: they don't fit with the way you used them.

Sky slime: I think you can fix that by just making a thok barrier. I suggest you take a look at how I fixed it in SRB2 the Past

Go where I can see: I tried using invisible walls (with fence) in one of my own stages before, the reception to that was poor. Players don't like being blocked from taking a path that looks like they can clearly get to, plus it's bad level design

Unstable floors of Rocky Mountain: you may have intended them to be an improvement, but it actually didn't improve things as the crumbling floor was along the only path to the exit.

Dark City's Volcano portal: the hole is still in the sky, it makes no sense.

Dark City's Gravity problem: Even low Gravity wouldn't make sense for this stage. it's not in space and there's noting that can be seen as being an anti-gravity generator.

Dark City's missing window to the outside: I can give you coordinates. the area is located in the area of X128 Y-1664. What you have is an open thok barrier, what you need to do to get the sky to show is to lower the celing all the way down to the floor.

Dark City 3's Gravity problem: There is nothing in this map indicating that gravity should be heavier. in actuality, Nothing in Sonic OVA (the inspiration for Dark City) would indicate that there is anything there manipulating gravity there.

Robotnirock's Crulity: let's start off with what was the crusher room. the platforms sink before you even land on them. Then you have it so that the Eggheads can't even be hit, but then they can hit you, and then there was that Deton hiding behind the door

Castle Eggman's Missing Wood beams and Torch holders: the missing FOF's are actually suppose to be in the first room of CEZ2.

Detons: they'll be brought back to their old versions and their locations will be fixed to either fit the old ones or just not be annoying, no further need to discuss that.
DSZ Spikes: well then, they'll be placed in fewer quantities more separated from each other, is that ok?
Sky slime: A thok barrier is in the map. It may be done in a way that doesn't fit the level, and if that's the case, will be fixed.
Invisible walls: Well then, if they don't like it, it will be removed.
Crumbling platforms: Yes, I know that. Its supposed to give an impression that the place its not very stable.
Volcano hole: Yes, that's because Dark City is underground. Maybe the sky is South Island's sky and its not a fake sky set up by eggman to make the city more real. In that case, apologies.
Missing glass texture: I really missed that?! Okay, will be fixed in 4.2.
Dark City Act 3: Well, I thought it would be a nice gimmick, but it doesn't fit, so everything related to gravity will be removed.
Robotnirock:
-I used that to add up to the challenge, if its too much or its just not ok will be fixed.
-You couldn't kill Eggheads before, you can't kill eggheads now. Though, the way I used snailers and invisible walls to deal with the nonexistant custom enemy problem was poor at best, and they will be a custom enemy after.
-I hate the deton placement as much as you.
CEZ FOF: Well, I formally apologize for making that mistake.

Again, almost everything you said will be fixed. Thing placement, RMZ grass corners, brightness and more things regarding map design will be fixed in 4.2. Everything else will be fixed in either hypothetical 4.3. I can only but thank you for the criticism, really helps me for my first wad.

Wow. Just WOW. This is a VERY accurate recreation of the old SRB2 demo 4. SRB2 The Past might have ported some of these boards, but this does them a million times better! With the original textures, sprites, and even the midi music! One of the best parts of this pack for me is the new characters. These older versions of the main 3 are SCARILY accurate. Sonic's ball is the same, he still has some Xtreme sprites, and even tails has his Sonic 3 flying frames! Even UglyKnux has been made more accurate, with more accurate colors to the original version! I'd love to have a separate download for these characters, expecially sonic, because he's very different. Overall, really good mod pack.

Wow. Just WOW. This is a VERY accurate recreation of the old SRB2 demo 4. SRB2 The Past might have ported some of these boards, but this does them a million times better! With the original textures, sprites, and even the midi music! One of the best parts of this pack for me is the new characters. These older versions of the main 3 are SCARILY accurate. Sonic's ball is the same, he still has some Xtreme sprites, and even tails has his Sonic 3 flying frames! Even UglyKnux has been made more accurate, with more accurate colors to the original version! I'd love to have a separate download for these characters, expecially sonic, because he's very different. Overall, really good mod pack.

Thanks a lot! If the public really wants to, I will separate the characters and put them in a wad and submit that in submissions or just add it as an extra file in the OP. Again, thanks a lot, exoect more updates in the future!

No prob! I never actually played Demo 4 believe it or not, but I've seen some videos, and this looks very similar. I think I'm gonna download the original Demo 4 to see how much this lives up to it. Also, I heard you were gonna port all the TFG SRB2 levels. The past also tried doing that, but had no slopes, and were missing a lot of levels! Overall, I'm looking forward to the future of this project! I'd just love to use Xmas sonic in the current levels, and break the space sonic continuem.

No prob! I never actually played Demo 4 believe it or not, but I've seen some videos, and this looks very similar. I think I'm gonna download the original Demo 4 to see how much this lives up to it. Also, I heard you were gonna port all the TFG SRB2 levels. The past also tried doing that, but had no slopes, and were missing a lot of levels! Overall, I'm looking forward to the future of this project! I'd just love to use Xmas sonic in the current levels, and break the space sonic continuem.

Heh, yeah. So far THZ is completely done, the second acts of GFZ and DSZ are barely playable but first and third acts of both zones are done and the last 2 acts of the TGF experience are also complete, so we have somewhat a bit of progress, but I wouldn't look forward to it being done this year. I've been and I will be busy until december because high school and some things in the demo campaign will be fixed as the next days and weeks go on. However, this wad will be finished, as I plan to start releasing my own maps after big update 5. But this year, I'm concentrating on this.

Ok then. You think today you can add those 3 characters you added in this download as separate characters to play as, and not just in the main pack? Let's hope you can update this throught the year to add more levels and cool stuffz like that.

Ok then. You think today you can add those 3 characters you added in this download as separate characters to play as, and not just in the main pack? Let's hope you can update this throught the year to add more levels and cool stuffz like that.

Sure, you want it to replace the 2.1 characters like in the demo wad or do you want it to be additional characters? The Sonic and Tails sprites in the selection screen are the same as the 2.1 characters tho.

Last edited:
Separate Characters. I like it more that way.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Also, I'd love physics from the very old demos. These include the weird ring scattering, and running, jumping, and overall everything else too.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Those should also be a separate download as well.

Separate Characters. I like it more that way.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Also, I'd love physics from the very old demos. These include the weird ring scattering, and running, jumping, and overall everything else too.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Those should also be a separate download as well.

There you go! Separate download for separate demo character wad.
Took us 18 years to get xmasonic in Egg Rock, but the wait was worth it!
Also, physics may not be possible. This is my first completed wad, I don't know how hard it would be to change the physics.

WOO! Yas! Now, I can bring the old characters along with the new ones! Also for the Physics, maybe ask around for people to help on it. Play demo 4 or 2 to see references for the physics. In short, look around for help on it.

Also, I heard you were gonna port all the TFG SRB2 levels. The past also tried doing that, but had no slopes, and were missing a lot of levels!

Still doing it too. Currently working on Deep Sea Act 1 and I replaced all the fake slopes too. And believe it or not, SRB2 the past actualy has half the levels that were completed in SRB2 TGF

I always wondered how old SRB2 would have been if those old levels had been completable in any regard - you did a great job making them just as bullshit as they were intended to be. There are a few things I'd change to make the levels a bit more accurate gimmick-wise, but it's very solid and accessible way to present the old levels.

Still doing it too. Currently working on Deep Sea Act 1 and I replaced all the fake slopes too. And believe it or not, SRB2 the past actualy has half the levels that were completed in SRB2 TGF

Glaber, will you port just the first ten levels? I can assume you'll just do those, however, tell me now cause I don't want to just pop up with no new levels. I mean, they will be mine and thus they'll be different in comparison to yours, but if you're working on the 27/28/idk acts, I want to let the more experienced guy to do it, I also don't want to take your credit.

the first 10 are the only ones that exist in the tgf version. I can't include any original stages for it.

Its been long enough hasn't it? I'm sorry if 4.2 is taking too long for some simple changes, I can promise you this week or the next I'll get it done. I've been somewhat lazy, and for that I apologize, however, I want to show you what the first 9 levels looked like at the start to make up for it. This is even before update 1, they were made in very early January, and I guess you'll get why I decided to call it "remastered".
However, I realized soon after making this that this wouldn't bring anything new to the table, and if I wanted to make something that would be at least a bit worth playing, I needed to go back to its roots. Either way, I hope this entertains you for the next days as I actually try to get 4.2 done. See you in a few days!

Attachments

• old9maps.rar
    400 KB · Views: 704
Its been long enough hasn't it? I'm sorry if 4.2 is taking too long for some simple changes, I can promise you this week or the next I'll get it done. I've been somewhat lazy, and for that I apologize, however, I want to show you what the first 9 levels looked like at the start to make up for it. This is even before update 1, they were made in very early January, and I guess you'll get why I decided to call it "remastered".
However, I realized soon after making this that this wouldn't bring anything new to the table, and if I wanted to make something that would be at least a bit worth playing, I needed to go back to its roots. Either way, I hope this entertains you for the next days as I actually try to get 4.2 done. See you in a few days!

ooohhhh
this should be fun :3

Hey everyone! I told myself 4.2 was taking too long and I already made a lot of changes that needed changing, so I released it today!
NO, ITS NOT RUSHED! It has everything I planned to do! Except some stuff, like a quarter of stuff. I felt like it stuck better and that it should stay.
Also, this is just a small update that changes details that need changing.
Detons have been reduced as well as spikes, no more blimey slimey wall from RMZ, no more invisible walls, no more reverse gravity (BUT GRAVITY GIMMICKS ARE STILL THERE, I don't know much about physics but I theorize that being very close to the core of the earth, Dark City's natural gravity is heavier and Robotnik needs to make artificial for blah blah blah intelectual exposition), cutscenes have been entirely removed (new cutscenes however will be made for SRB2 TGF), CEZ2 start fofs have been fixed along with currents and hanging chains, and some more stuff I'm too stupid to remember!

As to what wasn't fixed, Mine Maze will stay one way backwards incompatible as it always was to keep it more bullshit, Robotnirock will still be so cruel, starposts give the wad more originality, and some other stuff I like how they are.

And no, this doesn't mean changes in the original maps are finished entirely, in fact, custom enemies, along with physics and some other miscellaneous changes will be made in update 4.3. (But I'm keeping that GFZ boss like that cause homing lasers are so f**king cool.)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back