The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somebody say Spin-off?

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Eh not bad. The ending made me laugh XD But the TF2 cupcake's song was funnier. . .

Agreed. The facial expressions in the TF2 video were priceless also the voice acting in epic cupcake time was spot on, almost as the real voice actors were there.

Somebody say Spin-off?
...no?

Also, tomorrow.
aRDpW.png

Huh... never thought I would post in this topic, but I figure I do since I found this in my Gameinformer Magazine that just came... within Issue 223.
gameinformeroddness1.png

They are talking about it in a Gameinformer Magazine...? By the looks of it, it's maybe a letter or something. Also... crappy cellphone camera, yay, and I'm sure you can't even read it due to how jpegy it is.

Seeing as I'm posting in the topic, I might as well finally talk about it, although I don't want too, but if I post in here, then I have too.

-----

Right... watching the show feels weird at first and it's been like that ever since I saw the first 2 episodes of it, and after that, I didn't really bother watching it anymore... but... as time passed... I somehow begin watching more of the the episodes and it's been a long time since I ever watched a cartoon in a long time that actually is.... good?

How should I say it... it's a good cartoon but you have a feeling that you hate to admit that your watching it, but over time... you can't hold it back anymore, why is this show good? Why am I still watching it? Why am I putting in too my whys... WHY WHY WHY?

Maybe I took it too far there, but... as they say... give it a try, if you like, watch it, of you don't then... don't. No one is forcing you and besides... aren't cartoons mostly aimed for younger groups? Yet some watch them regardless of how old you are? Then again... I DID talk about this in 'fun when the Season 1 Finale showed after someone linked me to it, although I didn't talk much about it other than Fluttershy becoming... how should I say it... not-so-kindish?

The came along Season 2's first 2 episodes... where I think I see a pattern here... first 2 episodes has someone evil that tries to take over and the mane 6 have to use the elements to stop them, although in Season 2 the villain turns them into their opposite of their element, hence how Honest -> Lying, Kindness -> Cruel, etc. I did wonder what was gong to happen after the first one ended.

The show's decent to good, that's all I'm going to say for now, I'm not really a fan of it, but at least it's better than the other stuff we get nowadays anyway... and no, I don't ramble about it everywhere, because it's just... weird doing that, although I did ramble about it here, so... eh.

As for the scale on the first post... hmm... I'm within the Applejack area of that scale? Maybe Fluttershy, who knows... between the two, I don't know... leave me alone... argh.

-----

TL;DR: I admit it, I watch the show, go away.

Last edited:
This was going to be in response to Rocky's question on his pony obsession thread. I had wanted to say this there, but I didn't get a chance to before it was locked and redirected here. I guess I'll just post it here, as I spent a lot of time writing it.

To expand more on what Whackjood said...

The pony obsession started when someone on the internet noticed how good the cartoon was, and brought it up. As things on the internet do, it caused quite a commotion. Some people watched it too, and found that they loved it, while some just proceeded to hate on it. It eventually climaxed into a rupture of 4chan (which is really quite something), and a split off of bronies and pegasisters who soon brought it to every corner of the internet, eager to share it with everyone. It's one of the most grassroots movements of the web, and thankfully, It does more good than it does bad. What made the show so likable in the first place? It started with Lauren Faust, who has been a producer of several other cartoons over the years, getting ahold of My Little Pony. She was aware of the fact the My Little Pony had obtained a bad reputation as a media that existed solely to push plastic toys on young girls, so she decided to do something about it. What she did was called "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". This show took everything that made other shows so bad, and fixed it. I'll give some examples.

#1: Unrealistic Conflict
I don't know how familiar you are with typical children's shows, but if you've seen much of any Strawberry Shortcake or Care Bears, you'll know what I'm talking about. Having had a little sister and multiple younger cousins, I've seen more than my fill of them. One of the things that absolutely plagues these shows is the gut-wrenchingly unrealistic ways conflict is portrayed and resolved. To quote Lauren Faust herself:
"I was extremely skeptical at first about taking the job. Shows based on girls’ toys always left a bad taste in my mouth, even when I was a child. They did not reflect the way I played with my toys. I assigned my ponies and my Strawberry Shortcake dolls distinctive personalities and sent them on epic adventures to save the world. On TV, though, I couldn’t tell one girl character from another and they just had endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying–which miraculously inspired the villain to turn nice. Even to my 7-year-old self, these shows made no sense and couldn’t keep my interest."
In FiM, such things are not only avoided, but made laughingstock of.

#2: Girl Power
Wouldn't you think that for a show with such a majority of female characters, this would be extremely prevalent? Even in many shows not aimed at girls, feminism is blatantly obvious. Foolish, fumbling males who spend the majority of their time trying to chase after females who outrank them in intelligence and charisma are the staple of most shows. This problem is entirely non-existant in FiM. Though the main characters, indeed, a majority of characters overall are female, the male characters there are portrayed fairly and unbiased. I could list a number of strong male characters in the show throughout the episodes. I've heard people bring to mention more than once the point that "all the antagonists are male". I don't know where they got this from, but they're wrong. Sure, we have Discord, Prince Blueblood, and the Diamond Dogs, but don't we also have Nightmare Moon, The Great and Powerful Trixie, and Gilda? I see no discrimination there. Besides, like I mentioned. There are plenty of positive male characters in it.

#3: Pop Culture Saturation
Nothing turns me away from something more than incessant pop culture steroetypes. You know, drama queens, fashion shows, pop stars, glitter, and all the girly mushy stuff. The kind of stuff you'd see in a Barbie movie. Thank God I have never had to watch a Barbie movie, but it's obvious enough even thought I haven't. Anyways. Though you will find such things as a fashion show, dresses, galas, rainbows, (which you'll find are some of the most beast things ever [I don't mean in a gay way, either]) butterflies, and bunnies, they're never used as filler material, or a means to push pop culture. Each one of them plays an important part in who the different characters are. In all truth, throughout the show the only one really interested in fashion at all is Rarity, and that makes sense. She's a seamstress, after all.

#4: Flying Ice Cream Truck LOL Random Humor
At least that's what I like to call it. It's the type of humor that shows like Spongebob, or The Mighty Boosh, are full of. Having little wit, most of the humor from such shows comes from randomness, wackiness, and crude humor. Of course, wackiness and randomness have their place on the humor spectrum, but honestly, the overuse of it is getting a bit old. Friendship is Magic comes as a refreshing breath of air after it all, as it brings with it real wit and humor. There have been times I've had to pause the show just to go back and watch a hilarious scene over and over again.

#5: Poor Writing/Stuffy Morals
Now, there is nothing wrong with morals. Heck, they're what makes this world a livable place. But really, a lot of children's shows have been so ridiculous and unrealistic in portraying them that it isn't even funny. In contrast, FiM has a combination of serious morals and good storywriting, which together make the episodes very effective at getting the point across. Sometimes it's a lesson on moral absolutes, other times it's a lesson on pacifism and the resolution of disagreements. I never thought I'd actually learn something from a children's show, but I am constantly finding myself pondering over the realities of it all, and it has had quite an influence in my life, and how I relate to others.

But more than any of this, I think the following point is what makes it key, and sets it apart from merely being a fad that will soon be forgotten.

Friendship is Magic changes people.

I'm speaking for myself, but I'd be more than willing to bet that others feel the same. Since I've been introduced to it, I've learned a lot about appreciating the true beauty in something, and how that true beauty can affect others. Watching the show has caused me to step away from the world, in all it's dirtiness, and take a look at the big picture. It's caused me to realize that art is as effective as all the lecturing in the world. Through art, you can cause others to step away also, and when they too see the big picture of life and purpose... That's when good things begin to happen. Also, it has caused me to have a firmer conviction about the standards of cultures. The best way I can explain this is through an example.

Just the other day, I went to see the movie Courageous with a group of friends. It was an awesome, inspiring movie, about truly being manly. The one part that stuck out to me most of all, though, was this: The main character in the movie had gone for a drive, with his friend and young daughter. While his friend was in the convenience store, the daughter hopped out onto the grass, and began twirling.
"Come dance with me, Daddy!" She said.
You could almost see the thoughts going through his head.
'I wish she hadn't asked me that...
There's other people watching!
It could be very awkward.
I don't feel comfortable doing it.'
Finally, he told her weakly "I'm dancing with you in my heart, sweetie."

The next day, the girl was in a car crash on a way to a friend's birthday party, and died.

I could entirely empathize with what the father was feeling. I can see myself having the same emotions and thoughts. But here's the thing. A year ago, I would not have danced if I was put in that situation. I would have done whatever it took to stay in my comfort zone. Now, after having been introduced to Friendship is Magic, I know I would have danced, comfort zone be damned. If there has been one thing ponies have made me realize, it is this:

When we stand before the reality of love and eternity, arbitrary cultural standards drop away, and we are left with the truly good and the truly beautiful.

To expand more on what Whackjood said...

The pony obsession started when someone on the internet noticed how good the cartoon was, and brought it up. As things on the internet do, it caused quite a commotion. Some people watched it too, and found that they loved it, while some just proceeded to hate on it. It eventually climaxed into a rupture of 4chan (which is really quite something), and a split off of bronies and pegasisters who soon brought it to every corner of the internet, eager to share it with everyone. It's one of the most grassroots movements of the web, and thankfully, It does more good than it does bad. What made the show so likable in the first place? It started with Lauren Faust, who has been a producer of several other cartoons over the years, getting ahold of My Little Pony. She was aware of the fact the My Little Pony had obtained a bad reputation as a media that existed solely to push plastic toys on young girls, so she decided to do something about it. What she did was called "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". This show took everything that made other shows so bad, and fixed it. I'll give some examples.

#1: Unrealistic Conflict
I don't know how familiar you are with typical children's shows, but if you've seen much of any Strawberry Shortcake or Care Bears, you'll know what I'm talking about. Having had a little sister and multiple younger cousins, I've seen more than my fill of them. One of the things that absolutely plagues these shows is the gut-wrenchingly unrealistic ways conflict is portrayed and resolved. To quote Lauren Faust herself:
"I was extremely skeptical at first about taking the job. Shows based on girls’ toys always left a bad taste in my mouth, even when I was a child. They did not reflect the way I played with my toys. I assigned my ponies and my Strawberry Shortcake dolls distinctive personalities and sent them on epic adventures to save the world. On TV, though, I couldn’t tell one girl character from another and they just had endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying–which miraculously inspired the villain to turn nice. Even to my 7-year-old self, these shows made no sense and couldn’t keep my interest."
In FiM, such things are not only avoided, but made laughingstock of.

#2: Girl Power
Wouldn't you think that for a show with such a majority of female characters, this would be extremely prevalent? Even in many shows not aimed at girls, feminism is blatantly obvious. Foolish, fumbling males who spend the majority of their time trying to chase after females who outrank them in intelligence and charisma are the staple of most shows. This problem is entirely non-existant in FiM. Though the main characters, indeed, a majority of characters overall are female, the male characters there are portrayed fairly and unbiased. I could list a number of strong male characters in the show throughout the episodes. I've heard people bring to mention more than once the point that "all the antagonists are male". I don't know where they got this from, but they're wrong. Sure, we have Discord, Prince Blueblood, and the Diamond Dogs, but don't we also have Nightmare Moon, The Great and Powerful Trixie, and Gilda? I see no discrimination there. Besides, like I mentioned. There are plenty of positive male characters in it.

#3: Pop Culture Saturation
Nothing turns me away from something more than incessant pop culture steroetypes. You know, drama queens, fashion shows, pop stars, glitter, and all the girly mushy stuff. The kind of stuff you'd see in a Barbie movie. Thank God I have never had to watch a Barbie movie, but it's obvious enough even thought I haven't. Anyways. Though you will find such things as a fashion show, dresses, galas, rainbows, (which you'll find are some of the most beast things ever [I don't mean in a gay way, either]) butterflies, and bunnies, they're never used as filler material, or a means to push pop culture. Each one of them plays an important part in who the different characters are. In all truth, throughout the show the only one really interested in fashion at all is Rarity, and that makes sense. She's a seamstress, after all.

#4: Flying Ice Cream Truck LOL Random Humor
At least that's what I like to call it. It's the type of humor that shows like Spongebob, or The Mighty Boosh, are full of. Having little wit, most of the humor from such shows comes from randomness, wackiness, and crude humor. Of course, wackiness and randomness have their place on the humor spectrum, but honestly, the overuse of it is getting a bit old. Friendship is Magic comes as a refreshing breath of air after it all, as it brings with it real wit and humor. There have been times I've had to pause the show just to go back and watch a hilarious scene over and over again.

#5: Poor Writing/Stuffy Morals
Now, there is nothing wrong with morals. Heck, they're what makes this world a livable place. But really, a lot of children's shows have been so ridiculous and unrealistic in portraying them that it isn't even funny. In contrast, FiM has a combination of serious morals and good storywriting, which together make the episodes very effective at getting the point across. Sometimes it's a lesson on moral absolutes, other times it's a lesson on pacifism and the resolution of disagreements. I never thought I'd actually learn something from a children's show, but I am constantly finding myself pondering over the realities of it all, and it has had quite an influence in my life, and how I relate to others.

But more than any of this, I think the following point is what makes it key, and sets it apart from merely being a fad that will soon be forgotten.

Friendship is Magic changes people.

I'm speaking for myself, but I'd be more than willing to bet that others feel the same. Since I've been introduced to it, I've learned a lot about appreciating the true beauty in something, and how that true beauty can affect others. Watching the show has caused me to step away from the world, in all it's dirtiness, and take a look at the big picture. It's caused me to realize that art is as effective as all the lecturing in the world. Through art, you can cause others to step away also, and when they too see the big picture of life and purpose... That's when good things begin to happen. Also, it has caused me to have a firmer conviction about the standards of cultures. The best way I can explain this is through an example.

That's exactly how I feel about this series.
- Having a vast majority of female characters ... as you say so, MLP has both a serious scenario, both a sense of humor which make me really happy and which comes up very often, so much that in my opinion, all these properties (the scenario, the humor, ect... and all the good things found inside) change my ideas, my thoughts. In fact, this so great overall success will push me to even say that this is not just a cartoon, but also a dream world, I feel MLP like a 5-years children who love his hero. I have my eight hours of school everyday, I live in the harsh reality, and I'm sure my friends laugh at me if I tell them something about MLP, because they'll take it at first value. They'll will talk about the pony appearance without understand the 2nd face of MLP.
But then, when I get home, I have my personal world, when I look at the series, alone. This world makes me softer, more pleasant, more social, and nicer. However, the only thing left sad is that these cute little ponies are programmed to carry out each of their cute actions ...
I drift can be a bit of what you want spoken, the exceptional properties of the series.

Last edited:
RedEnchilada said:
All joking aside, I really liked the episode. Aside from what they did to Rarity. Way too stereotyped for me.

. . .Really? I rather thought it was humorous and appropriate for a character like herself. Then again I freaking love Rarity for some odd reason XD

Few comments about this episode:
I swear, halfway through I was considering leaving it for later. That was creeping me the fuck out. "HII GIIRLS!"
It was a pretty damn good episode, and yeah, I have to agree that Rarity was a bit too overdramatised.
The only thing I don't get was why Celestia wanted to punish her, I thought she wanted to punish her due to causing such an uproar in Ponyville, but she was over there because, Spike asked her to? So the whole punishment thing was a bit of a lie? Or was it a troll....
Anyway, nice scripted Derpy entrance I must say and absolutely loved chiropractor Fluttershy.
Don't know what else to say, I really like these episodes, although I can't seem to pick out may favourite parts of an episode, I seem to look back and go "okay, that was an episode". I dunno.

Twilight Sparkle, u crazy.

Goddamn Twilight is scarier than Pinkie Pie in Party of One. Some of those facial expressions are just plain terrifying.

In other news, Fluttershy is still a badass. Very fun episode.

Also this is too perfect, I'm inclined to believe that this was on purpose.

71437%20-%20animated%20deal_with_it%20rainbow_dash%20season_2%20season_two.gif

Last edited:
I came in to ask a question related to My Little Pony.

I'm not a giant fan like all of you are, but I tend to watch the show if I have some time and am alone in my house.

Anyways, whenever I see or hear a southern accent, I immediately think or imagine Apple Jack being the person with that voice. It's strange to me because it's the only time in my life where Ponies come in.

So, is that strange at all?

I'll be honest. As the real first episode of Season 2 (Discord's episodes being leftovers from Season 1 and all), this was pretty damned weak. And that's considering that Return of Harmony Part 2 was a major letdown seeing as it had me questioning why Discord was evil to begin with or why the final battle against him was so rushed.

Let's be honest. This may be becoming an incoherent mess. There's a new animation studio and it shows. The characterizations seem to be slipping (I think I speak for most when I say that Fluttershy taking down the bear and almost killing him just to give him a massage was one of the strangest moments this show has produced thus far, dis-including Twilight's mental breakdown that was far beyond unwarranted). Since when was Twilight so anal retentive? Since when was Rarity such a drama queen? Why is the show seeming to become something of an incoherent mess right about now? And the moral seriously made no sense whatsoever. Were they seriously supposed to take Twilight's overreacting over nothing seriously? And to be frank, the humour is beginning to get a bit too random for my taste. However, the idea of all the Mane Six writing letters might prove to be interesting if it gives an opportunity for character development. I say might, but I don't know with this new team.

Anyways, I can't wait for the Luna episode (since nopony seemed to want to focus on her or let her show up at all in Season 1 after the second episode). Maybe the new team might start making sense..... hopefully.

Thundernova said:
So, is that strange at all?

You sound like a closet brony to me.
When I first started watching it, that was one of the things that always caught my attention too.
I had watched a few of the episodes, when my family took a trip to Roanoke Virginia to visit grandparents. While we were down there, the guys all took a trip way out to a shooting range. On the way back, we stopped at this restaurant in the middle of nowhere. It was a really quaint place, like you only find in the country, but the thing that made my day was the waitress. She had a thick southern accent, and the whole time I was grinning to myself thinking "Apple Jack Apple Jack Apple Jack Apple Jack SOOOOO Apple Jack!"
So the question is, are you strange? That really depends on your definition of strange. But assuming you mean "compared to the average non-brony male am I strange", the answer would be...

Yes! We all are, aren't we?

I'll be honest. As the real first episode of Season 2 (Discord's episodes being leftovers from Season 1 and all), this was pretty damned weak. And that's considering that Return of Harmony Part 2 was a major letdown seeing as it had me questioning why Discord was evil to begin with or why the final battle against him was so rushed.

I was going to take your post seriously until I read this. Now I'm too busy laughing. *Ha! Ha!*
Didn't we discuss this back a page or two? The whole "questioning why Discord was evil to begin with" is nonsense.

Did you not see the stained glass in Celestia's hall? Did you not see what he was doing? He had ponies attached to puppet strings. But that's not all. He was dangling them over a pit of fire.

Did you not see the stained glass in Celestia's hall? Did you not see what he was doing? He had ponies attached to puppet strings. But that's not all. He was dangling them over a pit of fire.

Pictures may speak a thousand words, but sometimes pictures lie. Remember old War World I propaganda pieces with the U-boats having turrets intentionally shooting down American ships? And given how Discord presented himself in both parts, I kind of doubt the validity of the murals. And who's to honestly say he would have mind raped them if they weren't on Celestia's side to begin with? All he ever seemed to bring about was chaos in its purest form, not necessarily evil, though not necessarily good. You know, as far as the human definitions of "good" and "evil" go (which is all derived from, surprise surprise, the one mentality of humans I will ever despise the most: Religion). Oh well, I kind of expect "morality" when the super power in the world is the Nation Under God(c). It's called the Problem of Evil, my dear Charybdiz. The only logical choice is to make that which is most advantageous, not which is quote on quote "right".

But enough of this. That's beyond what I even said in the first place. You're not going to bother reading my evaluation on this episode? Well, gee, I'm kind of heartbroken, luv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back