SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Kirby v1.1 Details »»
Kirby v1.1
Version: 1.1, by Tripel the fox (Community GU GU GUUUUU~) Tripel the fox is offline
Developer Last Online: Apr 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (19 votes - 4.63 average)
Released: 04-27-2020 Last Update: Never Favourites: 21
Characters Scripts

Celebrating the 28th anniversary of Kirby's Dreamland, Kirby returns to SRB2 with new sprites and revamped gameplay!

Below is an explanation of Kirby's gameplay, though if you don't feel like reading this description, there's also an in game tutorial that replaces the default when you add Kirby!

Basic abilities
Kirby isn't the fastest around, but his versatility more than makes up for it!
By pressing jump mid-air, he can float around. Unlike Tails, simply holding the button will allow him to ascend, though Kirby's flight doesn't last as long. This can even be done from falling or springing!
Kirby's trademark inhale is used by pressing spin. Objects like badniks, monitors, and even some environmental objects like gargoyles can be sucked up. Kirby can spit any inhaled object as a projectile.
Kirby can also duck by pressing custom 2. While ducking, he can slide by pressing jump.

Copy abilities
Kirby, of course, also comes with his iconic copy ability! When Kirby inhales something, pressing custom 2 will allow him to swallow it and copy its ability, replacing his inhale!
There's 14 abilities in total, with a wide variety of uses ranging from speed, platforming, or combat. Copy abilities can also be discarded by pressing toss flag.
Spoiler: List of copy abilities
  • Fireball
    Shoot off in a fiery blaze, bouncing off of enemies!
  • Ice
    Freeze enemies with icy breath and kick them as projectiles!
  • Stone
    Fall to the ground with a forceful thud, clearing enemies around you as an invulnerable stone!
  • Bomb
    Explode anything that blocks your path!
  • Spark
    An electrical hazard nobody would dare to get close to!
  • Needle
    So prickly you can stick to walls and ceilings!
  • Tornado
    Twirl around, gaining height and keeping pace! You can even chain it into floating!
  • Wheel
    Roll around at the speed of sound, breaking bustable walls in your path!
  • Ball
    Bounce around to gain height as you hold jump!
  • Sword
    Slice straight through anything in your path!
  • Hammer
    Crush your enemies! And bustable walls! And floors! And spikes!
  • Mike
    Sing to your hearts content! Just, maybe not to others' content...
  • Sleep
    Nothing better than a good night's sleep! Though, you do get left a bit vulnerable...
  • UFO
    Fly around higher than floating can go, with a laser projectile!
  • ???
    A secret ability acquired by collecting all 7 chaos emeralds, 50 rings, jumping, and pressing spin while holding toss flag...
  • ???
    There may be other copy abilities hidden somewhere... Maybe try copying some other characters on the message board?

Kirby also has SRB2 Battle support! Pay 30 rings to spin the ability roulette and get a chance at a powerful copy ability!

Credits
Tripel: Programming
Maximus, KÝbito┴yame, HattyBoyo, Bendy: Sprites
Hydro, Yacker, Vinnis: Beta testing

Spoiler: Add-on support

To make skins or objects copyable by adding them to Kirby's ability table, use the following script:
Code:
if not(kirbyabilitytable)
	rawset(_G, "kirbyabilitytable", {})
end
kirbyabilitytable[MT_EXAMPLEOBJECT] = 1	// Makes MT_EXAMPLEOBJECT give fireball
kirbyabilitytable["exampleskin"] = 2	// Makes the skin "exampleskin" give ice
For custom abilities:
Spoiler:
To add a custom Kirby ability, use K_AddAbility(abilityfunction, secret, iconname)
abilityfunction is the function used for the ability. This is called every frame for the actual functionality of the ability, but it has a few other uses as well, which I'll get into later.
secret is wether or not this ability is a secret ability. The only real gameplay purpose of this is so that it has a ((1/256)/number of secret abilities) chance of appearing when the ability roulette appears.
iconname is a 7 character long name for the ability icon and name graphics. The ability icon graphic should be named I + iconname, and the name graphic N + iconname.
This will return a number for you to use in kirbyabilitytable, though keep in mind this function wont return a negative value for secret abilities!

Ability function:
The ability function should have the following arguments:
(checkflags, destroy, late, player)
If checkflags is true, the function is being called to check for ability flags. The function should immedietly return ability flags.
If destroy is true, then the ability is being discarded or otherwise lost. If you spawn an object for Kirby to hold, or mess with his flags, this is where you should restore them! Immedietly return after you're done cleaning up.
If late is true, then the function is being called at the end of Kirby's ThinkFrame hook. Once again, its a good idea to return after you do whatever you need to at this point, so normal and late functionality remain separate.
If none of the above are true, then the ability should run its normal functionality.
player is simply the player_t thats using the ability.

Code:
Ability flags:
AF_NOFLOAT		Disable Kirby's ability to float
AF_NODUCK		Disable Kirby's ability to duck
AF_NOJUMP		Disable Kirby's ability to jump
AF_NOSWIM		Disable Kirby's ability to swim
AF_NODROP		Disable dropping the ability with toss flag
AF_NOLOSE		Disable dropping the ability from taking damage or dying
AF_ALLOWSUCK		Allow Kirby to inhale like normal Kirby (this will not allow him to copy abilities)
AF_WALKSWIM		Use walking frames for swimming, even without something inhaled
Custom feet sprites:
If you create custom frames for Kirby, you probably want his feet to change color like normal
To do this, call K_AddCustomFeet(kirbysprite, feetsprite)
kirbysprite is the sprite Kirby is using, and feetsprite is the sprite the feet should use when Kirby uses this sprite.
If you use a sprite2 for your ability instead of a normal sprite, then make Kirby's feet the super version and he'll automatically use them.

Spoiler: Changelog

v1.1
  • Custom abilities are now possible, as well as custom feet sprites! Details added to main post.
  • Gold monitors are no longer inhalable.
  • Kirby will now be awarded the contents of monitors after swallowing them after inhaling them, if it has no ability tied to it.
  • Fixed Lua error when inhaling a monitor on a sloped surface that caused any future spawned objects to break, caused by a typo on a single line.
  • Kirby can no longer duck in THZ goop.
  • Kirby can no longer aim any projectiles vertically.
  • Inhaled players (and objects) will no longer fall through the floor when Kirby dies.
  • Players being inhaled will no longer fall through the floor when Kirby gets hurt and drops them.
  • Stars and spat players now move at a speed of 60 fracunits, down from 80.
  • Fixed being able to spit when in pain.
  • Fixed HUD breaking when switching renderers during gameplay
  • All audio is now compressed, resulting in a much smaller file size. Music in particular has been heavily compressed.
  • NES sound effects have been rebalanced, and should hopefully sound better.
  • Fireball can now break bustable walls.
  • Fireball now recoils when hitting a solid wall.
  • Fixed bug with ice not destroying parts of multi-object badniks, along with a potential crash that can be caused by this.
  • Fixed being able to use stone in minecarts, ropes, and RVZ stones.
  • Kirby is now forced to unstone when using springs.
  • Fixed Kirby being unable to jump or inhale after entering a dust devil while using stone.
  • Fixed Kirby being immune to death pits with stone.
  • Bomb sparks no longer linger after exploding.
  • Bomb can now destroy bustable walls.
  • Tornado can now ascend by pressing jump or spin, instead of only spin.
  • Fixed wheel breaking walls too early.
  • Eggman TVs now give sleep instead of nothing.
  • Crawla Commanders now give UFO instead of sleep.
  • Canarivores now give ice instead of nothing.
  • Banpyuras now gives ball instead of tornado.
  • Added special interation with Silver

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VCL_Kirby-v1.1.pk3 (7.37 MB, 8772 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	CopyAbilities.png
Views:	17648
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	30213   Click image for larger version

Name:	stone.gif
Views:	1894
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	30215   Click image for larger version

Name:	float.gif
Views:	1424
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	30216   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.gif
Views:	1276
Size:	5.28 MB
ID:	30217   Click image for larger version

Name:	sword.gif
Views:	1236
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	30218  

Name:	bomb.gif
Views:	1159
Size:	7.43 MB
ID:	30219  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 04-27-2020   #22
cookiefonster
Wiki Admin

This mod only released an hour ago and it's already my favorite SRB2 mod ever by a landslide. Great job on this, holy shit.

Spoiler: Some thoughts on abilities

I love that the blue crawlas don't give you an ability when you inhale them, but the red crawlas do. It gives a useful distinction between two enemies that are barely any different in regular gameplay. I also find it really creative the way bosses are differently handled since Kirby can't attack them directly without a copy ability; the Greenflower boss's lasers contain stars to inhale, and you can similarly inhale the toxic paint blobs from the Techno Hill boss. That's as far as I've gotten.

One issue though: is there a way for Kirby to get past areas where you have to either spin or hammer the floor (like two rooms in DSZ2) without a copy ability?
Old 04-27-2020   #23
SD2CSemiFinalVersion
Kid or Squid? :shrug:

This works really nicely! I do agree about the whole monitor deal, but one of the other things I noticed that I haven't been able to get the Ability Roulette to work when I tried messing around in Battle. I'm not sure what caused it, but it's kind of an odd one.

Just a bit of context for what I mean.

EDIT: Ah wait... I might've figured the problem out. Give me a minute, and I'll edit this again...

EDIT 2: Nevermind. Thought adding things in the wrong order broke it, but I guess it didn't.

EDIT 3 (I'm making a lot of these, aren't I?): For some reason, the Ability Roulette is working for other players in my server, yet isn't for me?? I'm not sure what caused it.

EDIT 4 (Should hopefully be last one for now): Ok so for some dumb reason by Toss Flag key was what was supposed to be my Ring Toss key. Not gonna question it. Forget me thinking it was a bug.

Last edited by SD2CSemiFinalVersion; 04-27-2020 at 06:35 PM.
SD2CSemiFinalVersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #24
Magnemania

Everything I wanted and more.
Magnemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #25
Gameobatts
"Hat Boi" in netgames.

Nothin' like waking up to your childhood in your favorite game.
Epic. Or as kirby says it, "Poyo!"
Old 04-27-2020   #26
ClassicNC
look guys look

Words cannot describe how absolutely shocked I am. Good work.

that sms ability though

Last edited by ClassicNC; 04-27-2020 at 07:15 PM. Reason: discovery
ClassicNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #27
GXP3000
Alligator in the North

I saw what you did and I love it. Just hope it doesn't bring in too much chaos.
GXP3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #28
Pyrakid Wolfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiefonster View Post
This mod only released an hour ago and it's already my favorite SRB2 mod ever by a landslide. Great job on this, holy shit.

Spoiler: Some thoughts on abilities

I love that the blue crawlas don't give you an ability when you inhale them, but the red crawlas do. It gives a useful distinction between two enemies that are barely any different in regular gameplay. I also find it really creative the way bosses are differently handled since Kirby can't attack them directly without a copy ability; the Greenflower boss's lasers contain stars to inhale, and you can similarly inhale the toxic paint blobs from the Techno Hill boss. That's as far as I've gotten.

One issue though: is there a way for Kirby to get past areas where you have to either spin or hammer the floor (like two rooms in DSZ2) without a copy ability?
If Kirby could inhale stationary gargoyles, this problem may be solved. But the big ones may be too big for him to inhale. The only workaround is maybe inhale pushing the big one towards you, and somehow crushing the floor, but that doesn't sound POSSIBLE to code. The next one is kirby's inhale working like spindashing on the spin thing. The next solution is just get the devs to remake dsz2.
Pyrakid Wolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #29
cookiefonster
Wiki Admin

Question: is it intentional that Kirby has to jump to get on the Castle Eggman launchers?
Old 04-27-2020   #30
GliderTheGliscor
(Glidro) The #1 Gliscor!

Default A noclipping glitch related to Silver & Kirby

For whatever reason, a Silver player grabbed Kirby, and when he swallowed the one that grabbed him, the game still thinks that the grabbed player is within Kirby, thereby making him act as if he's noclipping through the level. This is what happened after Kirby swallowed said player (Gif is below the message):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20006.gif
Views:	45
Size:	5.00 MB
ID:	30252  
Old 04-27-2020   #31
Pyrakid Wolfo

He's so small he can drown in the deep sea zone boss, that tiny bit of water lol
Also, Sword Kirby

Last edited by Pyrakid Wolfo; 04-27-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Pyrakid Wolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #32
AxewDragon

Default 1856 error: "Target" is nil

Here's some more GIFs:

Name:	srb20009.gif
Views:	110
Size:	7.58 MB
ID:	30258

Name:	srb20010.gif
Views:	86
Size:	5.36 MB
ID:	30259

Name:	srb20011.gif
Views:	85
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	30260
I hope these are not too much!
AxewDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #33
GreenKnight9000

THIS IS AMAZEBALLIOS!
Man, I love creative characters like these! They add so much replayability!

Still waiting for Controller Support to be fixed...
GreenKnight9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #34
Icarus
Warrior from Algol

Oh my god this was one of my most awaited character to come in!

Also I forgot it was the anniversary of the franchise already.
Old 04-27-2020   #35
Princess Draykon
Plush Princess

I love how this changes the way you think about enemies throughout the game. I was having loads of fun just going through the game and seeing what everything was gonna give me.

The giant list of characters with special interactions was also a nice touch.
Princess Draykon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #36
GreenKnight9000

In my opinion, Kirby should be able to break destructable walls with his exhale and slide, as well as certain abilities
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20038.gif
Views:	48
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	30262  

Still waiting for Controller Support to be fixed...
GreenKnight9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #37
TehPuertoRicanSpartan

Why does he have red lines instead of red circles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I agree with Silver on this one, could you please refrain from using cuss words?
TehPuertoRicanSpartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #38
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

This is great! It seems like we get one of these Kirby projects every couple of years or so, and every time I see it come back, there's more polish on the concept than last time.

The spritework this time around is definitely the highlight. I appreciate the direction gone using the classic artstyle, and I think it makes logical sense considering that there are no ability hats and that the abilities themselves are more or less based on their Kirby Adventure iterations.

The abilities themselves are all pretty fun, with probably sword, bomb, and ball being my favorites.

Some various minor critiques based on what I've observed while playing:

Spoiler:

- It would be kinda neat if Kirby could inhale rings
- Kirby's height is so small that this causes some gameplay irregularities. It seems like it would make more sense to raise Kirby's default height, but to reduce it again when Kirby is sliding so that he can slide under crevaces.
- missed opportunity to make eggman monitors grant Kirby the sleep ability
- while in tornado, both Spin and Jump should make Kirby rise. (it is more intuitive for some players to use the jump button to rise)
- Fireball feels like it ought to maintain Kirby's z position, as this is more in line with the ability's mechanics in Kirby's games. Also, it might feel a little better to use if Kirby could slightly adjust the horizontal trajectory while in motion
- Poor volume balance of SFX (Try messing around with the Normalize function in Audacity)
- The spit projectile seems a bit fast! It actually makes it harder to aim, because I'm expecting to have to lead my shots more than I actually must.
- Golden monitors do not reward Kirby with abilities
- Red Crawlas granting wheel and Blue Crawlas granting nothing is a nice touch, but it's kind of weird that you didn't do the same for other enemies with type variants (all spring shells grant ball, red buzzes don't grant anything)
- Bombs not destroying certain bustable walls but wheel being able to feels like an oversight
- Dust particles when running are a bit distracting. Maybe reduce scale or opacity?
- It might be more accurate to the source to make the ability star disappear on contact with spike damage floors
- Kirby does not slow down when flying, and I think this gives him too much power to cheese level design without losing time.
- Lost opportunity to give the Canarivore the Ice copy ability
- The abrupt end of Fang and Metal Sonic's fights when Kirby inhales them really busted my sides. I will say though, that in Kirby's game canon, there are some enemies of Kirby's height (like Meta Knight) who can't be inhaled. So if you wanted to go that route for Metal, you can!
- Tornado would be slightly more interesting (and more accurate to the source) if it forced a certain amount of horizontal thrust on its user while active.
- Fireball might feel a little bit better to use if it reacted to colliding with walls, a la Kirby's Adventure.

One last thing I want to point out is that there is a lack of consistency in how certain abilities are aimed. For example, the core spit ability is aimed using the player's mo.angle and vertical aim, whereas bomb cannot be aimed vertically. Fireball is aimed with mo.angle but wheel applies its initial thrust in the direction of player.drawangle. I think the mod would benefit from making it so that all abilities' initial thrusts and projectile shots are aimed via mo.angle and none of them can be aimed with vertical mouselook; this is so that the rules for controlling Kirby are consistent and the player doesn't suffer from muscle memory whiplash when changing abilities. Wheel would likely control best by applying the initial thrust in the direction of mo.angle, then determining all consecutive movements via movement input.

All in all though, this is really good stuff. I can't imagine that a character with as much breadth as Kirby has is easy to maintain, so I always respect when modders go out of their way to undertake a project of this scale. Definitely the best iteration of the character I've seen yet. Nice work!

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff

Last edited by CobaltBW; 04-27-2020 at 09:45 PM.
CobaltBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #39
Iveary
bomb Slinger

now that we got the pink puff ball in the game....

how about the rest of the cast? maybe Gooey, for a start?
Iveary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020   #40
SnocBoi
The Snoc

Hey, didn't this guy get rejected from submissions back in 2.1? Its nice to see him back from that ssg3 video. I'll try him out later
Old 04-27-2020   #41
BioHazard

After beating the main campaign with Kirby, i have to say, this is one of the most fun characters i've tried so far. I love each and every ability he has to offer (Specially Wheel and Fireball, those two were my favorites, lol).

What Kirby as a character has as one of its strenghts, is that he can have this big catalog of fun and wacky powers without being too complex, so instead of having to memorize multiple moves you can just pick whatever you like the most or what's more convenient for you at the moment and roll with it.

Overall, i think Kirby is a good fit for SRB2, even though Egg Rock was kind of a pain as a whole, but you can literally just eat most projectiles bosses throw at you (or eat the bosses themselves) so i guess that balances it out.

I'm not sure what to say about this mod that's "not that good" aside of what people already said, but yeah, the monitors should give you their stuff when you eat them. Also, this is just an idea, but what if Kirby could inhale nearby rings? Anyways, Kirby is a very solid character.

Also a tip... even though most probably already figured it out, if you exhale (mid-air spin) every time you double jump, you'll reach a further distance, this can also be enhanced by Tornado or Fireball.
BioHazard is offline   Reply With Quote