[Open Assets] SRB2: Oceanic Cove Zone v.2.0

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny, everyone is complaining "it lags! :(" but it played perfectly fine on my computer.
This applies to me too. Really, it didn't lag at all on my PC.

I personally prefer ERZ2 because it looks just as good as has actually interesting gameplay.
Ironically it's the opposite for me. I don't see what the hell makes Egg Rock popular, but I really liked Oceanic Cove.
Why do I find this so funny? Anyways, I do prefer Egg Rock, but I like Oceanic Cove as well.

SpiritCrusher said:
Sure, if you prefer 15 minutes of jumping over slippery and/or crumbling platforms, this is heaven.
The strange thing about this level is that that's exactly what it is, but there's something about it that makes it better than most other SRB2 levels. I dunno what it is, but this level is just impossible to hate or rate lowly for me.

The strange thing about this level is that that's exactly what it is, but there's something about it that makes it better than most other SRB2 levels. I dunno what it is, but this level is just impossible to hate or rate lowly for me.
Don't get me wrong, I like this level too. But that mostly stems from the outstanding visuals, the platforming alone wouldn't draw me to it (although it isn't bad, per se).

2duzerk.png
2duzerk.png

I found an error right here...

Thanks for the comments, I hope they keep coming. I am glad at the least that this topic seems to be more active now. I'm getting somewhat further need to continue on this. I thought this is dead.

I wanted to play this, laggy as it was. Act 1 was somewhat bearable, but when I got to Act 2 it turned into a freaking slideshow. Does this level not have any one-sided linedefs?

So I opened it up in SRB2 Doom Builder to try and figure out what the hell was going on.

What in hell...?

Why do you have so many redundant linedefs? Like, for a completely flat wall, you use up 4 linedefs. No wonder the game lags so much, it's trying to render four stages at the same time! Did you goof up or something? How does this happen?
It seems that splitting linedefs did fix the level's graphical issues. Otherwise, the level would contain lots of those disgusting slime trails. I'll double check after I merge linedefs (why isn't there a simple feature for this...) for some rooms.

Geh, I was unable to play it at ALL it was so laggy on my system. Running in windowed 640x400.

I managed to get like, 2FPS at best. (Actually counting the frames per second, not using the glitchy FPS counter. That always says 30. No matter what.)

As Neo Chaotikal stated, I believe you should stop trying to render four stages at the same time. This thing's laggier than CASTLE EGGMAN!
Neo was over exaggerating when he said "rendering four stages at the same time." If the game really was, then ALL the linedefs in the level would be split into 4 smaller ones. Not in this case.

It's too bad the level was so slow for you. Did you have so many other applications chewing on your RAM? Have you tried playing with a smaller video resolution?

The only thing I didn't understand was what permitted the level to run so well. Some of those rooms are WAAAAAY to big to not be subject to all kinds of horrible graphical issues, so all I'm wondering is why it works well, when I get those weird bars that block out the character sprite when I make rooms that size.
I spent much of my time trying to clear these ugly glitches. I am not sure either if what I did really fixed those bugs (splitting some extremely long linedefs into smaller ones, moving control sectors over the place, positioning of sectors within larger ones, etc.). Maybe I was just lucky because you can never be sure for a perfect nodesbuild (or, I just lack knowledge on how it works).

There is only one thing you might want to change editing-wise that I noticed. In the room in part 2 with the big waterfall that has a button that shows a different camera view at the top, I didn't think it was obvious enough that there was a tube present right next to it. Maybe give it a different texture or put an arrow sign over it or something.
Oh, yeah. That zoom tube in that final cavern room was used for when the two acts were one level (earlier betas, not released here). I didn't feel like taking it out; I think I'll use it for something in the future.

Sure, if you prefer 15 minutes of jumping over slippery and/or crumbling platforms, this is heaven. i personally prefer ERZ2 because it looks just as good as has actually interesting gameplay.
I enjoy platforming challenges over gimmicks. They just appeal more to me. I understand that people all have different tastes, which may be the reason why Kyasarin also implied he prefers platforming over gimmicks.
It depends if you like gimmicks or if you like platforming.

The more you play through it, you may discover what you do not know.

2duzerk.png
I found an error right here...
Any ideas for what causes this? I'll discover a remedy for this myself.

Fawfulfan, I am afraid I missed your post here. I don't know what you were feeling initially upon posting it, and what made you delete it.

Last edited:
Regarding Autosaver's image:
When the thok barrier is next to a sector with an FOF in it, the adjacent linedefs don't let you see into the thok barrier. There's other causes I'm sure, but that's the major one I'm familiar with. Instead of trying to remove it, I tag the water to the dry land sectors next to it so that the thok barrier is universally not-visible. Assuming the water doesn't show on those sectors, of course.

Regarding Autosaver's image:
When the thok barrier is next to a sector with an FOF in it, the adjacent linedefs don't let you see into the thok barrier. There's other causes I'm sure, but that's the major one I'm familiar with. Instead of trying to remove it, I tag the water to the dry land sectors next to it so that the thok barrier is universally not-visible. Assuming the water doesn't show on those sectors, of course.
It's not just FOFs; this glitch occurs whenever the bordering sector's tag and/or light level is different from those of the thok barrier. I usually do the exact opposite, and take painstaking measures to ensure that the thok barrier is universally visible, but we all have our preferred methods.

I enjoy platforming challenges over gimmicks. They just appeal more to me. I understand that people all have different tastes, which may be the reason why Kyasarin also implied he prefers platforming over gimmicks.
You talk like gimmicks and platforming were polar opposites. It's not like that. Gimmicks are just a way of making the level unique, in whatever way possible. In Oceanic Cove, I just jump over platforms that are either slippery or collapsing for about 15 minutes. There's absolutely no variation. In fact, there are only about two spots where I even get to jump on a platform that moves up and down. In one half of this zone, I have to run forward to continue, and in the other half, I have to jump from platform to platform. I never get to do anything else, and it does get tiresome.

I kind of agree. In fact, I'm astounded that nobody has complained about this up until now.

No one complains about it because the sheer size and detail of the level hides the fact that it's actually quite boring and repetitive. We haven't seen levels large like this since Kuja remade Aquatic Labyrinth. And even then, that level had plenty of gimmicks and platforming variation to keep things interesting.

No one complains about it because the sheer size and detail of the level hides the fact that it's actually quite boring and repetitive. We haven't seen levels large like this since Kuja remade Aquatic Labyrinth. And even then, that level had plenty of gimmicks and platforming variation to keep things interesting.
We have, in SRB2 itself. But apart from that, yeah. The main factor of its popularity is its size. It's the same reason as with Mystic Realm's popularity: that wasn't exactly the best thing ever made, but it was decent and large.

It looks fun,im going to try it =].I mostly going to predict that this WONT lag my computer.
(some seconds of playing).
There's some weird ring sound thats looping,it doesnt lag on my computer,

All right, I've been waiting for this. (can't believe I didn't notice this immediately when it was released). *downloads*

Can't play it right now, review later.

For as long as I can remember, there have been levels that, even in the absence of notable gimmicks, manage to thrive on simple platforming and immersion; they presents the player with a vast world to trek through, filled with small details and secrets that are highly involved, often hidden in plain sight... this immersion, and the way they encouraged exploration was their primary appeal. For many, the first thing to come to mind as such is Mystic Realm, though some would remember such standalones as Egg Palace and Metal Flower as well. Long, difficult, but of wonderful detail, Oceanic Cove embraces this style and excels with it, enough so that many here have recognized 123 Runite's creation as one of the best levels currently on the message board.

So can anyone honestly be surprised that it's now in the hall of fame?

So can anyone honestly be surprised that it's now in the hall of fame?
I can be. In my opinion, it isn't deserving of it.

Note for clarity: I'm not exactly whining, here. I'm just stating that I don't like OCZ a lot, and am surprised at how many others do. I mean nothing ill of the fact that it's in the HoF, it clearly deserves it from the pretty much massive praise it gets; but again, I don't think it deserves it.

Last edited:
犬夜叉;698971 said:
I can be. In my opinion, it isn't deserving of it.
You cannot be, because you were there when the decision was made and you know that it would make it. You also never really said why you don't like it. Why don't you?

Hmmm.... Both Runite and Digiku weren't on the message board since Nov 2010. I wonder if they even know they're in the HoF now.

I decided to go through this one more time with my newly improved laptop, and I must say, "this was really, really, spectacular!" This time, when I played through this, I was expecting some HUGE major lag, since those were one of the problems with this zone, but there wasn't as much lag as I expected. Which means there's still a little laggy areas, If I recall correctly, that wide open area of platforms leading upwards near the beginning of act 2. But, good idea splitting this zone into 2 acts.

One of the thing's that I've noticed in these maps was that there was only platforming with nothing really interesting except some of the detail you really put into them, and there were alooot of secrets...and I mean alooot. But, still, this was an amazing level to play through! This was a hell of a long level when I played through this with Sonic. About 10-15 minutes, maybe. But with Tails and Knuckles, it was pretty simple. I loved how at the end, you didn't want things to stop and kept it going with a boss battle. By the way, take the enemies out. It was a little lame how you have to kill every enemy in the sector using the "No more enemies" effect. But other than this and the lag areas, this was about incredible!

I can really tell how much heart and time you've really put into this zone, and im truly grateful that you've released this out to us. Thanks Reunite! This truly deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. One of the best levels I've ever played. Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back