SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Kirby v1.1 Details »»
Kirby v1.1
Version: 1.1, by Tripel the fox (Community GU GU GUUUUU~) Tripel the fox is offline
Developer Last Online: Apr 2020

Version: SRB2 Rating: (17 votes - 4.59 average)
Released: 04-27-2020 Last Update: Never Installs: 14
Characters Scripts

Celebrating the 28th anniversary of Kirby's Dreamland, Kirby returns to SRB2 with new sprites and revamped gameplay!

Below is an explanation of Kirby's gameplay, though if you don't feel like reading this description, there's also an in game tutorial that replaces the default when you add Kirby!

Basic abilities
Kirby isn't the fastest around, but his versatility more than makes up for it!
By pressing jump mid-air, he can float around. Unlike Tails, simply holding the button will allow him to ascend, though Kirby's flight doesn't last as long. This can even be done from falling or springing!
Kirby's trademark inhale is used by pressing spin. Objects like badniks, monitors, and even some environmental objects like gargoyles can be sucked up. Kirby can spit any inhaled object as a projectile.
Kirby can also duck by pressing custom 2. While ducking, he can slide by pressing jump.

Copy abilities
Kirby, of course, also comes with his iconic copy ability! When Kirby inhales something, pressing custom 2 will allow him to swallow it and copy its ability, replacing his inhale!
There's 14 abilities in total, with a wide variety of uses ranging from speed, platforming, or combat. Copy abilities can also be discarded by pressing toss flag.
Spoiler: List of copy abilities
  • Fireball
    Shoot off in a fiery blaze, bouncing off of enemies!
  • Ice
    Freeze enemies with icy breath and kick them as projectiles!
  • Stone
    Fall to the ground with a forceful thud, clearing enemies around you as an invulnerable stone!
  • Bomb
    Explode anything that blocks your path!
  • Spark
    An electrical hazard nobody would dare to get close to!
  • Needle
    So prickly you can stick to walls and ceilings!
  • Tornado
    Twirl around, gaining height and keeping pace! You can even chain it into floating!
  • Wheel
    Roll around at the speed of sound, breaking bustable walls in your path!
  • Ball
    Bounce around to gain height as you hold jump!
  • Sword
    Slice straight through anything in your path!
  • Hammer
    Crush your enemies! And bustable walls! And floors! And spikes!
  • Mike
    Sing to your hearts content! Just, maybe not to others' content...
  • Sleep
    Nothing better than a good night's sleep! Though, you do get left a bit vulnerable...
  • UFO
    Fly around higher than floating can go, with a laser projectile!
  • ???
    A secret ability acquired by collecting all 7 chaos emeralds, 50 rings, jumping, and pressing spin while holding toss flag...
  • ???
    There may be other copy abilities hidden somewhere... Maybe try copying some other characters on the message board?

Kirby also has SRB2 Battle support! Pay 30 rings to spin the ability roulette and get a chance at a powerful copy ability!

Credits
Tripel: Programming
Maximus, KÝbito┴yame, HattyBoyo, Bendy: Sprites
Hydro, Yacker, Vinnis: Beta testing

Spoiler: Add-on support

To make skins or objects copyable by adding them to Kirby's ability table, use the following script:
Code:
if not(kirbyabilitytable)
	rawset(_G, "kirbyabilitytable", {})
end
kirbyabilitytable[MT_EXAMPLEOBJECT] = 1	// Makes MT_EXAMPLEOBJECT give fireball
kirbyabilitytable["exampleskin"] = 2	// Makes the skin "exampleskin" give ice
For custom abilities:
Spoiler:
To add a custom Kirby ability, use K_AddAbility(abilityfunction, secret, iconname)
abilityfunction is the function used for the ability. This is called every frame for the actual functionality of the ability, but it has a few other uses as well, which I'll get into later.
secret is wether or not this ability is a secret ability. The only real gameplay purpose of this is so that it has a ((1/256)/number of secret abilities) chance of appearing when the ability roulette appears.
iconname is a 7 character long name for the ability icon and name graphics. The ability icon graphic should be named I + iconname, and the name graphic N + iconname.
This will return a number for you to use in kirbyabilitytable, though keep in mind this function wont return a negative value for secret abilities!

Ability function:
The ability function should have the following arguments:
(checkflags, destroy, late, player)
If checkflags is true, the function is being called to check for ability flags. The function should immedietly return ability flags.
If destroy is true, then the ability is being discarded or otherwise lost. If you spawn an object for Kirby to hold, or mess with his flags, this is where you should restore them! Immedietly return after you're done cleaning up.
If late is true, then the function is being called at the end of Kirby's ThinkFrame hook. Once again, its a good idea to return after you do whatever you need to at this point, so normal and late functionality remain separate.
If none of the above are true, then the ability should run its normal functionality.
player is simply the player_t thats using the ability.

Code:
Ability flags:
AF_NOFLOAT		Disable Kirby's ability to float
AF_NODUCK		Disable Kirby's ability to duck
AF_NOJUMP		Disable Kirby's ability to jump
AF_NOSWIM		Disable Kirby's ability to swim
AF_NODROP		Disable dropping the ability with toss flag
AF_NOLOSE		Disable dropping the ability from taking damage or dying
AF_ALLOWSUCK		Allow Kirby to inhale like normal Kirby (this will not allow him to copy abilities)
AF_WALKSWIM		Use walking frames for swimming, even without something inhaled
Custom feet sprites:
If you create custom frames for Kirby, you probably want his feet to change color like normal
To do this, call K_AddCustomFeet(kirbysprite, feetsprite)
kirbysprite is the sprite Kirby is using, and feetsprite is the sprite the feet should use when Kirby uses this sprite.
If you use a sprite2 for your ability instead of a normal sprite, then make Kirby's feet the super version and he'll automatically use them.

Spoiler: Changelog

v1.1
  • Custom abilities are now possible, as well as custom feet sprites! Details added to main post.
  • Gold monitors are no longer inhalable.
  • Kirby will now be awarded the contents of monitors after swallowing them after inhaling them, if it has no ability tied to it.
  • Fixed Lua error when inhaling a monitor on a sloped surface that caused any future spawned objects to break, caused by a typo on a single line.
  • Kirby can no longer duck in THZ goop.
  • Kirby can no longer aim any projectiles vertically.
  • Inhaled players (and objects) will no longer fall through the floor when Kirby dies.
  • Players being inhaled will no longer fall through the floor when Kirby gets hurt and drops them.
  • Stars and spat players now move at a speed of 60 fracunits, down from 80.
  • Fixed being able to spit when in pain.
  • Fixed HUD breaking when switching renderers during gameplay
  • All audio is now compressed, resulting in a much smaller file size. Music in particular has been heavily compressed.
  • NES sound effects have been rebalanced, and should hopefully sound better.
  • Fireball can now break bustable walls.
  • Fireball now recoils when hitting a solid wall.
  • Fixed bug with ice not destroying parts of multi-object badniks, along with a potential crash that can be caused by this.
  • Fixed being able to use stone in minecarts, ropes, and RVZ stones.
  • Kirby is now forced to unstone when using springs.
  • Fixed Kirby being unable to jump or inhale after entering a dust devil while using stone.
  • Fixed Kirby being immune to death pits with stone.
  • Bomb sparks no longer linger after exploding.
  • Bomb can now destroy bustable walls.
  • Tornado can now ascend by pressing jump or spin, instead of only spin.
  • Fixed wheel breaking walls too early.
  • Eggman TVs now give sleep instead of nothing.
  • Crawla Commanders now give UFO instead of sleep.
  • Canarivores now give ice instead of nothing.
  • Banpyuras now gives ball instead of tornado.
  • Added special interation with Silver

Download Now

File Type: pk3 VCL_Kirby-v1.1.pk3 (7.37 MB, 5252 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	CopyAbilities.png
Views:	12234
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	30213   Click image for larger version

Name:	stone.gif
Views:	1460
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	30215   Click image for larger version

Name:	float.gif
Views:	1115
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	30216   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.gif
Views:	1024
Size:	5.28 MB
ID:	30217   Click image for larger version

Name:	sword.gif
Views:	977
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	30218  

Name:	bomb.gif
Views:	893
Size:	7.43 MB
ID:	30219  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-15-2020   #102
Icarus
The Final Doomer

This kirby seems like it's based off Adventure and Super Star rather than his other incarnations.
Old 05-15-2020   #103
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

Kinda weird he doesn't get Bomb out of Fang's, well, bombs.

Too bad he doesn't have the infinite flight he has in some games. It makes sense of course, wouldn't want him to just make a mockery of the platforming like Tails already does, but it would have made sense here in these expansive 3D environments than in the poky 2D hallways Kirby usually traverses.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #104
Solid SOAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
This kirby seems like it's based off Adventure and Super Star rather than his other incarnations.
That's something I really like about this mod tbh. From the visuals to the powerups Kirby is very much feeling like his classic self. Like Sonic, Kirby transitioned to a "newer" style after Return to Dreamland came out, both visually and in gameplau.
Solid SOAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #105
Magnemania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
Kinda weird he doesn't get Bomb out of Fang's, well, bombs.
I see it as a reference to Poppy Bros boss fight, where the same rule applies. The character boss fights are closer to being minibosses (which only provide projectiles to fire back) than bosses (which sometimes drop abilities to use).

Quote:
Too bad he doesn't have the infinite flight he has in some games. It makes sense of course, wouldn't want him to just make a mockery of the platforming like Tails already does, but it would have made sense here in these expansive 3D environments than in the poky 2D hallways Kirby usually traverses.
In the 2D games, the low ceilings and cramped spaces ensure that Kirby cannot completely bypass the platforming, as there's a fairly low limit to how far Kirby can get above the ground, and Kirby is much less agile while flying. This is not the case in SRB2; even the indoor levels with cramped corridors have high ceilings, presumably to avoid camera problems.
Magnemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020   #106
Icarus
The Final Doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
Well, Tails is meant to be an easy mode for people who have some troubles with platforming (especially during the 2.0-2.1 days) As for Kirby he got limited flight in Kirby 64 (the first "3D" game in the serie) but I'd agree that it would be too op for a fully 3D game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid SOAP View Post
That's something I really like about this mod tbh. From the visuals to the powerups Kirby is very much feeling like his classic self. Like Sonic, Kirby transitioned to a "newer" style after Return to Dreamland came out, both visually and in gameplau.
I would say that "modern Kirby" started with Returns to Dreamland (because of his logo change) but the 2000's were filled with games that were either remakes, spin-offs or simply not made by Hal lab. so I agree that RtDl is the first "truly modern" Kirby game in the serie.
Old 05-16-2020   #107
Dabir
Nitpicker

Kirby can afford to have infinite flight in the 2D games precisely because it can't just carry him over entire levels.
Dabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020   #108
CobaltBW
Community Noise Maker
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabir View Post
Kirby can afford to have infinite flight in the 2D games precisely because it can't just carry him over entire levels.
Even then that's still dependent largely on the level design itself.

The reason why limited flight was necessary in Kirby 64 is because certain challenges were designed under the pretense that Kirby couldn't just fly over everything without consequence. It's a lot more depend on platforming than some other Kirby games. Kirby's Adventure and Kirby's Dreamland don't have this problem, but Kirby's Dreamland has limited screen space that inherently restricts how powerful Kirby's flight is, while Kirby's Adventure compensates for the open nature of certain levels by incorporating lots of flying enemies into its level design to fill the open space.

Our design is more akin to something like Kirby 64's, in the sense that the levels expect the player to be spending a good chunk of their playtime on the ground. It's reasonable to enforce flight limits if it means that players are more likely to engage with the level design.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020   #109
Daviroll_Limit
SEIBAAA!

when i read
Quote:
There may be other copy abilities hidden somewhere... Maybe try copying some other characters on the message board?
does that mean that there would be some "secret" abilities?
what I think is that there are probably more abilities that are not put on the list, but now the question is: what are those who gives these "hidden" abilities?
my discord name: 「デビッド~」|PC-98|#4594 (i know, very original)
My Twitter Account (fixed the link, plus the account is no more on hiatus)
Daviroll_Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020   #110
Some Bird

All the abilities are really fun, but there's one that just really shines, uglyknux's ability just, oh no is basically it in a nutshell
Some Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #111
JayMission

Absolutely wonderful character, thanks for making it! The Fang fight had me in stitches.
JayMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #112
ClassicNC
Also known as Sonic Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviroll_Limit View Post
when i read does that mean that there would be some "secret" abilities?
what I think is that there are probably more abilities that are not put on the list, but now the question is: what are those who gives these "hidden" abilities?
s h a d o w.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #113
Daviroll_Limit
SEIBAAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicNC View Post
s h a d o w.
Going to see when he's going to be released
my discord name: 「デビッド~」|PC-98|#4594 (i know, very original)
My Twitter Account (fixed the link, plus the account is no more on hiatus)
Daviroll_Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #114
Icarus
The Final Doomer

This feels like if Kirby Air Ride was released for the N64 and didn't force you to always ride a star.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #115
carlrev
The living revolution

Where do you find the original tutorial file in SRB2?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #116
FlyingSquirrel04

How do you obtain the UFO ability?
FlyingSquirrel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #117
cookiefonster
Wiki Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel04 View Post
How do you obtain the UFO ability?
You can get it by inhaling Crawla Commanders (only found in Techno Legacy), or by inhaling multiple inhalable items at once if you're lucky.
Old 6 Days Ago   #118
「AxeCrusader」

I know this Kirby is based around Kirby's Adventure but is it possible to give the Cupido or Archer ability when inhaling Robo-hoods? Feels weird inhaling it and give you nothing
「AxeCrusader」 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #119
11gscanlan

The Character is very fun.

And can also be broken at some times. Case and Point;

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	srb20004.gif
Views:	81
Size:	5.77 MB
ID:	33750  
11gscanlan is offline   Reply With Quote