[Open Assets] The Blocks Builder by Ors and LJ Sonik

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ Sonik

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Presentation:
Thanks to Lua, I highly improved the in-game editor possibilities: aside from many drastic technical improvements, I added a Direct Build feature, that allows you adding / removing blocks directly in the building slot.
You just have to aim a place, then pressing the Custom Action 1 or Toss Flag key for adding, or the Custom Action 2 key for removing, just like in Minecraft
Note that you can hold the key down to add / remove several blocks quikly.

To choose which kind of block you wanna add, you use the Custom Action 3 button. It'll switch to next block type.
You can equally do that by using a console command: "b <type>", where type is a number that indicates the type of block you need. Examples:
"b 2" will make you adding blocks of type 2.
"b 6" will make you adding blocks of type 6.
"b 0" would make you removing blocks, but is useless since you can just do it by pressing the key when you have a block ahead of you.

You can easily float up / down by spinning while jumping, then using the Jump / Spin buttons like in Spectate Mode. Walk on the ground to back to normal moving.

Tips:
-I suggest you using your mouse button to place a block, it's really helpful (in other terms, set a mouse button to Custom Action 1 or Toss Flag)
-If you have problems with placing / removing blocks, try moving a bit, most of the time this is due to the fact that you can't place blocks if you have any part of your character being where the block gonna be created. Remember equally that you cannot place blocks above you, or above any other player in the game, and that you can't remove the block you are standing on.

This wad currently features two maps specially made for the Blocks Builder (MAP01 and MAP04), and the two maps created by Ors that included in-game editor for 2.0.7, upgraded with the script (MAP02 for Co-op / MAP03 for CTF).
The first and fourth maps (MAP01 and MAP04) feature a 16 x 16 x 16 Blocks Builder that can handle 7 different types of blocks (using "b" command).

This is actually a beta, more blocks builders with various themes / dimensions are coming: probably a CEZ-themed CTF where players can build a tower to protect their flag, an ACZ-themed level, and more...

Controls:
Building:
-Custom Action 1 / Toss Flag: add a block
-Custom Action 2: remove a block
-Custom Action 3: switch blocks type

Flying:
-Jump + Spin: Active air floating
-Jump: raise
-Spin: sink

Console commands:
-"block <type>" / "b <type>": select the block you wanna place
-"fill <x1> <y1> <z1> <x2> <y2> <z2> <type> <blocksbuilder>": fill in a section of the Blocks Builder with blocks of type <type>. If there are more than one Block Builder, set <blocksbuilder> which is the number of the Blocks Builder affected by the command. Don't work if there is any player in the building slot.

Console variables:
-"floating": enable / disable flying
-"aimbuild": alternate between old / new building way.
-"buildingdistance": set the max distance for adding / removing blocks
-"aimbuildprecision": lower it to increase aimbuild precision. 4 is fine.

Credits:
-Main idea: Ors (i.e: making a 3d in-game editor)
-Script: LJ Sonik
-Maps:
-The Block Builder: LJ Sonik
-The Monument Builder: Ors
-Build the Flag: Ors
-The Factory: the cyan
Permission:
You may use this script in your own mods and even modify it without asking permission to Ors or LJ Sonik, however you have to give credits (Ors for main idea, LJ Sonik for scripting). This includes the header of the script (the first seven lines) which may not be removed or modified.

Link: http://www.4shared.com/rar/kDK4iA2Aba/BlocksBuilder3D.htmlhttp://www.4shared.com/rar/mHnOB63Fce/BlocksBuilder3D.html

Attachments

• BlocksBuilder3D.rar
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,120
Last edited:
Received a minor update to fix temporarily a bug that was randomly happening when placing a block in multiplayer: now it'll just display an error message instead of removing the hook.
The music is equally changed, because I first uploaded an older release instead of the last one.

I Was waiting for someone to do it !! , now we can build Maps Directly from game by this !!,Great work,really cool
EDIT :I Hope you complete the missing textures, but we can't save Progress ... it's good however

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

I Was waiting for someone to do it !! , now we can build Maps Directly from game by this !!,Great work,really cool
EDIT :I Hope you complete the missing textures, but we can't save Progress ... it's good however
Suggestions :
1 - Is there anyway to float up or down ?
2 - It's really bad to place blocks slowly, (by standing behind an area) why can't we just aim and place blocks DIRECTLY where we want (I've tried another wad like this before, this one isn't as i expected ) ??

R761Dw.png

Last edited:
we can't save Progress
I already thought about that, but Lua doesn't allows such things.

I Hope you complete the missing textures
Yeah I just realized that, we didn't update the custom textures to match with 2.1. Thank for noticing that anyway :D

Is there anyway to float up or down ?
Not currenly, but I could add a special console command to enable players to do that.

It's really bad to place blocks slowly, why can't we just aim and place blocks DIRECTLY where we want
Tip: You can still hold the build key to place many blocks quickly.

I guess you're meaning like in Minecraft, right ?
Well, I had to choose between this or the Minecraft way.
I thought that with MC way of building, players would only spend a very short time for building, what would be quicly boring cuz you would have everything easily, especially since I wanna make ctf / match versions of the Blocks Builder.

I could still do the same thing that with the floating thing you told me: a command to allow an alternative way of building, like in MC.
About commands, I didn't tell you anything about the "fill" command. You can use it to fill a part of the building slot with a specific block (see the console for help).

I've tried another wad like this before, this one isn't as i expected
What is this wad ? I am curious to know

This wad is great, just make it more like Minecraft to make it more enjoyable. Also add Grass Blocks and Lava Blocks. (or maybe quiksand if you are doing ACZ)

What do you think would be great dimensions for the builder ?
Currently it's 16 x 16 x 16, but maybe a littlest one (8 x 8 x 8 ?) could be better ?

By the way the aim build is coming. Maybe today.

What do you think would be great dimensions for the builder ?
Currently it's 16 x 16 x 16, but maybe a littlest one (8 x 8 x 8 ?) could be better ?

The Controlling is bad, it will be good to use weapons as building tools, ( Like the wad that i told you about it in PM)
For Example
Scatter Ring: Change Texture (should display a full list with all textures and we choose one of them by movment keys)
Automatic Ring : Change Lighting
Rail Ring : Copy Sector Proprities
Custom Action 2 : Paste Sector Proprities
Copy Sector Proprities (Height , texture , Lighting)
Explosion Rings : Colormaps (by Specifying the Red,green,blue colors levels)

Good ideas huh !! take your time

Last edited:
Ho I thought you were talking about a srb2 wad.

The Controlling is bad

it will be good to use weapons as building tools
What about this:
more blocks builders [...] are coming: probably a CEZ-themed CTF
The Blocks Builder have to allow players to use their weapons AND building, so your technique WOULDn't be that good (no offense ok ? :p).
However it is true that using a command to select the block type isn't very ergonomic neither intuitive. When I started the script I thought about using weapon select for that, but for the previous reason I won't. The idea with arrow keys is interesting though.

Colormaps (by Specifying the Red,green,blue colors levels)
Ok, easy to do, I just have to make 32 x 32 x 32 x 16 x 16 x 16 FOFs :D
No sériously, this will NEVER happend. Do you even have an idea how many FOFs I'm using just for SEVEN types of blocks ? Well, 28672. And that's not a lot (that's the minimum needed to be exact), this is just the consequence of Lua not allowing wall texture changing (I know what I am saying).

I fell like you're forgetting this is still a wad for srb2, so don't expect to play a replic of Minecraft. Using Lua doesn't mean you have no limits. Srb2 will always be srb2: blocks are just FOFs, you can't change colormaps just by changing a tag, and there is a limit of 32768 linedefs.
I'm totally aware that 7 textures isn't a lot, if I didn't make more, that's just that I coudln't.

I fell like you're forgetting this is still a wad for srb2, so don't expect to play a replic of Minecraft. Using Lua doesn't mean you have no limits. Srb2 will always be srb2: blocks are just FOFs, you can't change colormaps just by changing a tag, and there is a limit of 32768 linedefs.
I'm totally aware that 7 textures isn't a lot, if I didn't make more, that's just that I coudln't.
As i said before i've played a wad file that looks exactly like yours but more enhanced (We can copy Sector Proprities by the Rocket Launcher,change the colormaps by pistol,lighting by chainsaw,Change textures from a Plasma Rifle ( Full list of textures) and easily lower and raise floor or celling height with shotgun) and i thought you can make it as this wad "Sectorcraft 0.8.2.pk3"

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

As i said before i've played a wad file that looks exactly like yours but more enhanced (We can copy Sector Proprities by the Rocket Launcher,change the colormaps by pistol,lighting by chainsaw,Change textures from a Plasma Rifle ( Full list of textures) and easily lower and raise floor or celling height with shotgun, place objects with hands) and i thought you can make it as this wad "Sectorcraft 0.8.2.pk3"
The Wad is good like that
but if you can please add the following features ::
float up/down
Aim build
Question : can you make maps with larger building sectors ? or can we do it ?

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

A Real Funny mod, i can't stop playing it
GYqqLX.png

Qd0Oai.png

Last edited:
Just want to point out that this wad don't like OpenGL and can't run software due to Windows 8.1

You're right, I didn't try it with openGL before: there are no graphical glitches (aside from thok barrier sometimes) but the loading is extremely slow (about 1 minute for me), and if W8.1 doesn't allow software I guess it may make it just unplayable... Unless trying a smaller one...
I don't see what I could do though, since the lag is very probably caused by the massive amount of FOFs needed for a such concept (More than 28,000 for MAP01).
If you notice some others bugs, especially with netgames, keep in your mind that it is still a beta, more releases are coming later (don't expect to avoid resynch however... Custom variables of Lua are awful with netgames)

Updated !

-Now you can float up / down by spinning while jumping, then acting like in Spectate Mode. Walk on ground to back to normal moving.
-You no longer need the console to switch between various types of blocks. Just use the Custom Action 3 key.
-The internal stucture has been changed: now the datas are stored in a mobj. That could possibly make netgames more stable.
-The cyan has started a techno-themed map for the Blocks Builder. Even if the map is currently a beta, I included it in the wad.

No. I'm on an old XP laptop (at the moment). Just tested it, and it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back