Your First Time Seeing SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i found srb2 while i was collecting sonic fangames (i have 50+ i guess)
in SFG proboards67 (old sfg forum)

Back in January 2005, I was searching for a Sonic fangame that could run on Linux. I found xhedgehog, an old 1997 fan game, and didn't find one other than it.
Then some months later, I got interested in FreeDOOM (and DOOM in general). While browsing the DOOM Legacy web site, in the links section, I found a link to SRB2.
Being based on DOOM, I wondered if it could run on linux. So I search the forums for `linux` and found the 1.08 Linux port.
I didn't have a single Windows machine at the time.
In June '05, I decided to join the forums, because I believed, and still believe that SRB2 is an excellent game.
I also found a friendly community, not like the ruthless one I was in before joining this messageboard.
I would play SRB2 on Windows for the first time only a year later.

Strange story, don't you think? ;P

I first saw srb2 while i was looking for random sonic videos on youtube and i decided 2 look into it since someone on the comments said"i heard that u could play with more than 20 people online" so i was instantly obsessed with the game

I just googled for some Sonic Fangames, found the old srb2.org page with the 4 animated gifs linking to other pages, and downloaded the game. It was demo 3, I think. I started with the Second Person View, since it looked like 'C' was being pressed. I ran off, got past the bridge near the emerald, and past the opening that lets you see the big tall island where the lightning shield rests, and closed it for another time. I thought it was cool how it was 3D, but it didn't really appealed to me at the time, and just continued on with my life. I forgot what it was that got me into the game afterwards.

Glancing through the history section, it looks like I first saw the game in late 99/early 00, because I came onboard either right before or shortly after the Christmas demos started appearing.

Although I've been in the Sonic internet community since 94, so I played SRB1 in its heyday and knew about the new project already.

I came here after a member of the Gamefaqs Shadow the Hedgehog Board mentioned it. I had nothing better to do, so I downloaded it, played a bit, then found out about the online capabilities.

three lost (but admittedly fun) netgames later, I signed up for an account and here I am.

I believe the current Level contest was the one with Tree Ring in it...

I was looking at Wikipedia one day, and I was searching for Sonic stuff, with Sonic 2 having fueled my now-massive Sonic-likingness, which started the day I first played Sonic Adventure DX for PC, which I bought at Marshalls. I found Sonic Robo Blast 2, and got really interested. Some time later, I got the old Christmas version, which did not work right on my computer with its old Matrox G400 card. The red "OUT OF RANGE" box that sat on my screen blocked the exit message, and I couldn't figure out what key exited. When I Ctrl+Alt+Deleted, I couldn't reach the Task Manager button, so I played Demo 4.35 until my dad got a new GeForce card. When I discovered that Demo 4.35 now worked right, I tried upgrading to 1.09, which also worked, and the rest is history.

EDIT:

I like every single thing JTE has done, really.

I also found it on Wiki, but I DL'd it a bit later then I found it. I joined on 1.09.2, and I never turned back. However, I am seeking a challenge less evil than Soviet Russia difficulty.

Okay...I was browsing the ZDoom Forums one random day, and I saw SMG M7, or Blue Blur as you know him here, post a link to it, I looked at it, and I thought this was a pretty amazing game, so I spent a night downloading it on my dial-up(before I switched). Then when I finished downloading it and installed it, I played it and I was like 'Wow. This is an amazing game! It's hard to think that this came off of Doom!' Then I saw all the editing features for it, and I was even more amazed.

FSX said:
The red "OUT OF RANGE" box that sat on my screen blocked the exit message, and I couldn't figure out what key exited. When I Ctrl+Alt+Deleted, I couldn't reach the Task Manager button, so I played Demo 4.35 until my dad got a new GeForce card.
Actually, the image you DCC sent me is as follows:
untitledor4.png

Remember? I had no clue what was wrong? :|
Yes, I never deleted anything in my mIRC downloads folder. Ever.

I found SRB2 searching for Sonic Fangames on a site called Game Hippo. I at first thought it was some FPS with the word Sonic in it's name. (Hence the Doom-mod-ness)

I found it via SFGHQ, where I mostly lived back in those early days. The Hallowe'en demo appeared some time shortly after I first settled there, I think. I've only been floating around here since the beginning of 2004, but I did visit from time to time before that. I remember reading/listening to the White Glove Diaries as they came out, for example.

I was googling for "Sonic fan games" one day, in September, and came across a bit of text saying "3D sonic fan game" on the "F-Zero download manager" website. o.o Saw some screenshots, clicked the link to the site. Boom.

This was sometime in late 1.08, and I joined the community on the 26th. I started to use IRC sometime in february.

http://www.gamezworld.de
was the reason I started playing SRB2. It is a german hp which searches freeware-games and rates them with points from 1 to 10.
This day I was bored and I was searching for something entertaining. I thought: "A jump'n'run might be nice!", and I was going through the section when finally SRB2 appeared. The game got 9 out of 10 points and it was a Sonic game which sounds very well, because I always had liked Sonic games.
The little article told me that this game was in 3D and couldn't be compared to all the other crappy Sonic fangames, that were listed up on the page. This sounded interesting.
I thought: "You have to learn more about this..." and I entered the homepage www.srb2.org ...

The first time I heard about SRB2 was on SFGHQ, I loved that site and the many fan games that were on it (especially Time Attacked and Chaos Revolution), When I played the original SRB, I thought it was crap and never bothered to play the sequel. About 1 or 2 years later I search on Wikipedia about stuff on Sonic, then I came across a article on SRB2. I thought to myself, I remember this crappy game!! Once I read stuff on how it was 3D, I thought to myself, hmmm, I gotta try this. I couldn't download it at first because my cable modem was broken and my crappy dial up service wouldn't handle the download. So, I dragged my friend into it and he downloaded it for me and burned it into a disc. He was telling me about how cool this game is and said it could be edited with diffrent levels and characters! The next day at school he gave me the disc and i went home to try it. "Wow this is cool" I said, so I played the game for the rest of the day. I also thought the game is old and no one has edit it for a while so i felt alittle bad, I probably thought this because the characters are drawn in their Old school looks. The next day, I decided to check out the forum, I wasn't able to join because for some reason, the verification codes wouldn't go through. This was at the same time sepwhich was having problems. On the same day, I decide to try the online feature (I thought it wouldnt work because I had dial up). I was happy as hell and I was playing the game online for the first time! I was having problems though, I didn't know how to type or to change my name.
Alittle while later, I eventually figured it out and continued playing. Some of my first friends I met on SRB2 was Dark Mystic and Tailzdude. After like 2 months of playing the game, I tried again to join the forum, this time, it worked. I put my name, RgxSuperSonic and my password and hit enter. About 2-3 days ago before that, I was working on my new animations in Macromedia Flash and I was very satisfied on how it came out. It looks like Sonic from Next-Gen! I thought to myself, hmmm, wouldn't this be cool if it was a wad!? So, my first Topic was in the editing section Titled : "Next-Gen Sonic.wad" (which im still working on). A lot of people were very interested and were very impressed with my artwork. I also introduced myself on the Introductions page (which is now history). Since then i had some nice times here and some bad times with the admins and my bad grammar and etc. Now, you can still find me on the forums either viewing it through my computer or cell-phone or catch me in a net-game on SRB2. I will be waiting...

-RgxSuperSonic

( :mrgreen: You have too much spare time if your reading my post)

I think I found it in early 2006. I just couldn't stop ignoring the name SRB2 heard all over the place. I disliked it and liked it. The closest I could ever get was CEZ 1 and I thought that the whole thing was filled with small spaces that reminded me of a game I liked when I was younger. (Chexman) Started to netgame and I thought I was a lagger (was a shy person like some of the people said on this thread) and left the game until late September. That's when my computer was better and I then downloaded up the latest version, because I just wanted to play it again by see Youtube vids about it. I felt like I was back in my place starting the game again. I started netgaming and learned the pace of Match and CTF quickly. I also decided to try Very Hard mode with Knuckles and actually found my first two emblems in CEZ 1 and 2. That's pretty much what happened over my SRB2 life and I hope to continue honing my skills. I'm now actually getting off my lazy butt to find out my router thingy so I can open of the port so I can host netgames.

I remember playing SRB2: Christmas Edition, and I've actually been following the game for quite a while (and surprised that after 7 years it's still not done).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back