Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple computers have worked the best for me. All my old Macs still work and have never had any problems.
1. Apple ][e
2. Macintosh Plus
3. Macintosh SE
4. Macintosh LC3
5. Macintosh Power PC (Cant remember exact model)

Now I mainly use Linux based systems because I like to build my own computers which you cant do with MacOS. Linux works far better then Microsoft could ever dream of doing with Windows. Lack of software dosent really bother me ether. There is plenty of great Open-Source software for Linux users. If I need something it does not have I can always Port it using SDL or just write a completly new program. I know how to use a computer. Its not me, Windows just sucks. I know how to maintain a computer. My PC has all of the latest Anti-Virus and Spyware protection. I use the Disk Defragmenter and everything else needed to maintain a Windows PC. But it always finds a way to crash anyway.

No, SOMETHING is wrong with what you're doing because I swear to God Windows has NOT crashed for me. And don't come up with BS telling me I'm lying and Windows is the crash-iest thing in existence, since I'm not, and I've really not had any problems that I can blame Windows for. If anything, most of the problems are drivers (which, BTW, aren't written by Microsoft either).

Then show me an OS crashier than Windows. Sorry, but that's the true, Windows is expert in crashing and in virus-access-allowing.

I AM serious. I'm DEAD serious. I'm having a hard time restraining myself from posting some full-out flames at you people for coming up with things that register with me as blatant lies.

You (and ALL you damned anti-Windows preachers) are REAAAALLY pissing me off right now, and I'd like you to stop before I crack. Now. T_T

Shadow Hog SERIOUS???

I suggest to find a safe place, because the end of the world is near!!!

Oh oh, my 662th post...

akirahedgehog said:
Shadow Hog said:
And yet you continue to attack new versions of Windows, when all your experience is based on 8-year-old technology? Brilliant (not).

I have used all of the Windows Operating Systems and I have not been impressed with any of them.

Windows 3.1: Crashed every two months
Windows 95: Crashed every month
Windows 98: Crashed every week
Windows ME: Crashed every three days
Windows XP: Crashes about once a year
Windows Vista: Who Knows... I will find out during the Public Beta Test.

Why do you support Microsoft so much. Do you work for them or something?? Stop living in a fantasy world where Windows does not crash.

Uhh.. what's so bad about one crash in a year?

Seriously, people don't give XP enough credit. The only thing I hate about it is that it's a total resource hog and wastes so much processor power and RAM for itself.

It doesn't crash nearly at all, it has very nice support, and it can be set to not look like Photoshop puked. Most of the issues I have with my computer since running XP have been related to the programs I'm running, not the operating system itself, and I'd say that's the correct direction to go.

Personally, if Vista does the same thing XP did, making the operating system stable while adding features that are actually useful, I will gladly give my money to the evil empire for a better operating system. Windows has come a long way since Windows 98, to be blunt, and while we all take shots at it, it really has improved an amazing amount.

Mystic said:
Seriously, people don't give XP enough credit. The only thing I hate about it is that it's a total resource hog and wastes so much processor power and RAM for itself.

It doesn't crash nearly at all, it has very nice support, and it can be set to not look like Photoshop puked. Most of the issues I have with my computer since running XP have been related to the programs I'm running, not the operating system itself, and I'd say that's the correct direction to go.

Personally, if Vista does the same thing XP did, making the operating system stable while adding features that are actually useful, I will gladly give my money to the evil empire for a better operating system. Windows has come a long way since Windows 98, to be blunt, and while we all take shots at it, it really has improved an amazing amount.

Thank you.

I've seen some screenshots, and I must say it looks like Windows XP but everything looks a little darker. MS is going to pull off another half assed job which will be quickly surpassed by GNU/Linux or other free operating systems (free as in freedom, not free as in beer) with KDE 4.0. Oh, 4.0 will be so... Sweet. *Drools*.

Anyways, the problem with Windows is that MS does exactly the opposite of the free software / open source theories. It likes the "keep the consumer in the dark about everything, even error messages, release late, release seldom" point of view.

By the time Windows Vista comes out, it's going to already be ugly and out of date.

It's difficult to think of what people would say when it's released. "Enhanced... Desktop pictures..." "Extended... Viruses." "Added some new possible buffer overflows..."

Nick

@nick:
Don't think KDE is better than Windows. As of version 3.5, KDE is a total copy of windows and is a total bloat.
I will think I'll return to more "normal" windowmanagers, like twm or wm2 (maybe Fluxbox?)

EDIT: Anyway, don't bump old topics...

Well, XP has crashed on me many times. Not "BSOD-crash", but "OMG LOCK UP-crash". One such time: I access a computer on our network. Afterward, the wireless on that comp decides to spaz out. I ask for a file while the connection is still spazzing. Windows focuses so much on it, when it doesn't get what it wants, it goes "OMG WTF" and locks the whole system.

ME constantly crashed for a year, then stopped crashing. This was partially due to the fact that it was running on a Compaq.

I'm a gamer, and a hardcore one at that, so I demand as much power as my computer can squeeze out. If this Windows Vista will eat up less of my processor, I'll take it. If not, I'm sticking with XP until I have to switch.

I've used Linux before, and I would consider it a good backup OS. On the same Compaq, Windows got infected irreversibly with a virus that corrupted installations.

I've barely used a Mac OS, and it was an old one anyway, so I won't make any judgements.

I had the opportunity to try out the Vista beta, and, really, it's something else.
If you don't have a high-end PC though, it's not too different from XP, but it does have features that really improve usability. It's the sort of thing you need to see in action, really.

I'll take screenshots when I get the chance.

Oh, the public beta, I assume? I was tempted, but I should probably wait for an actual new computer to use it on since I don't believe I have the space to make a new partition for it without losing a LOT of data.

Anyways, I don't see what Windows Vista will have that KDE 4.0 won't have, and that MacOSX won't have. Wow! OpenGL on top of DirectX! That's beautiful, really! I'm sure most people can't wait to have their OpenGL graphics 50% slower. I personally value my freedom to use software any way I like, including reading, editing and redistributing the source code, more than having 50% slower graphics and slightly darker images. Oh, I forgot about that faster searching. All of the other operating systems have nothing on that. I mean, it's not like slocate exists for Linux and Spotlight exists for MacOSX.

I better go ahead and go flip some burgers so I can get enough RAM to run this resource hogging pile of crap, erm... High tech new operating system!

Nick

Yep, definitely a Linux zealot. Please be productive if you're going to insult Microsoft, please. It's not like we haven't all heard it before.

Remember when XP came out and how much of a resource hog it was? It's totally irrelevant now. I'd assume it'll be the same way here. Microsoft has a history for programming for computers that don't exist yet, but will when the product is released. I don't see why this would be any different now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back