Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installing programs on Linux is a chore. I personally hate to go to the command line to do stuff. Also, what Windows needs is an "Open Command Prompt Here" button or menu option.

By the way, there is a better version of Wine out. It was called WineX, but now it's called Cedega. Google it. You have to pay a small fee, but I've heard good things about this Windows emulator. One of them being able to run Half-Life 2. The normal Wine wasn't meant for games. Starcraft has the bottom of the screen chopped off and is quite slow when a unit is selected. I can't change the resolution in Unreal Tournament GOTY edition, and I have to ut up with the taskbar expand button taking up a sizable part of the screen. More so because the resolution is locked at 320x240.

I suppose Linux could add native .exe support, but that would be ditching one of its main advantages: security.

Overall, choosing between Linux, Windows, and Mac is largely a matter of taste. More and more developers are making ports alt OS-friendly, but they need to pick up the pace in doing so.

By the way, you do need Windows installed (or certain parts of it) to use the standard Wine. I don't think Cedega requires that, but I don't know for sure.

The thing I like about Linux is that you can download cool stuff offa the website. ^_^ Like the DOOM Legacy demo and an icon editor. It also has a bunch of games that absolutely rock.

EvilCowSlayer said:
Also, what Windows needs is an "Open Command Prompt Here" button or menu option.
You can do that, using the Powertoys. Link. For pre-XP versions of Windows, there are corresponding versions of Powertoys, but you'll need to go hunting for those.

SRB2-Playah said:
The thing I like about Linux is that you can download cool stuff offa the website. ^_^ Like the DOOM Legacy demo and an icon editor. It also has a bunch of games that absolutely rock.
If you get SuSe Linux Pro, it comes with 3 CDs of miscellaneous crap. Games, utilities, and the like.

I have a shortcut configured for my machine so that the command prompt opens whenever I press Controll + Alt + C. It's handy for making logical drives on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back