Windows 7, everything Vista was meant to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fully aware this topic is 8 months old, but I really deem it quite necessary to fill you in on the latest and to also get the ball rolling on this discussion again since it's only a month or so away.

Windows 7 will be released on October 22nd, if you're looking to upgrade to Vista then forget it, pre-order Windows 7 and wait it out for a month, you won't regret it.

Having used Windows 7 since Boxing Day, it has been fantastic to me, much faster than Vista and I'm going to be installing it on the remaining Vista PC's this weekend using the MSDN Released Build (Not the leak, the actual download from MSDN).

I wouldn't be installing it if it wasn't worth it.

I agree, Windows 7 has been great for me too. I've been using it since the beta (Release January 2009 I believe) and so far it's been the best windows OS yet. Most devices are already supported for Windows 7 and most software work without problems.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to the final release as well.

Yeah Win7 is pretty good.
I started on build 7000 and "Hacked" (as in moved one number down in a .ini file) the up-grader on the release build (Which I torrented, but It's just a 30 day trial.)

I have had 3 issues so far:
1. Got a random BSOD after quitting SRB2 and logging out.
2. x64 STILL doesn't see all my memory, but that might be my elderly DELL 8400 MOBO circa 2005.
3. SRB2 gets a sigseg'v every time I close after testing in workbench, which is probably more of a Workbench problem. Though it could be both seeing as I'm running a release candidate on a release candidate.

I got a legal Ultimate final copy from my school and I've used it for a couple hours and I'm really not impressed with it. The interface such as the taskbar is difficult to adjust to and MS Paint is really messed up now. There are no advantages for me to gain with this "upgrade". I'm wondering how businesses will react to this because I know Vista didn't get much attention in the cooperate world. It just didn't help anything in the business computing world.

The taskbar takes getting used to, I agree, but I learnt to love it over time, and now I can't stand not having a lower-right desktop button. :(

http://www.win741.com

If you have a college EDU email address, Windows 7 Home Premium (or Professional) is only $30 for you! Windows 7 is seriously the best ever -- or it may as well be since it's cheaper than your college textbooks!

Windows 7,your comments.

Since I still have XP am planning on getting a new computer,a one that has an OEM'ed Windows 7.However I may not go get it right away.I must hear the people's comments.and that is you guys.

Not that it applied to me, since I did something different: I torrented a Windows 7 ISO and used the product key I received from my $30 purchase to activate it. Worked like a charm and it's legal! And while it's true that Microsoft may have screwed up the download, it's not their fault that some tech-savvy individuals tried to hack an ISO out of it -- it's the individual's fault for doing it wrong!

My point is to not be prissy about it: Microsoft's not out to make ****ty software, so why not shell out $30 if one is a college student, just to try it out? $30 is not even an investment to me. I wholeheartedly recommend Win7, and no it won't screw up your computer if you do it right. And no, it's wholeheartedly not as screwy as Vista. Win7 honestly performs like magic on my 4-year old laptop.

Of course, if you're not a college student, then you're SOL :)

I don't think so, I have both MSVS 2005 and MS office ultimate using something similar to this. Both are still usable and I don't to pay again to keep them, I assume it is the same thing here.

Student licenses don't expire. The idea doesn't even really make sense, quite honestly.

Afaik, the licenses sold as part of this deal are not special "student licenses" -- they're totally regular. I've never heard of there being any distinction, at least (see: winsupersite.com, istartedsomething.com; aka the websites of a Windows reporter and a former Windows developer blogger.)

So these "student licenses" won't expire because they're no different from any other consumer Win7 license. They're just sold at a sharp discount 'cause Microsoft is so in need to regain face after Vista. On another note, they're different from XP licenses because you can transfer Win7 (and Vista) licenses from computer to computer. They're reusable, so long as you use Win7 on one computer at a time.

Last edited:
Yeah, if they killed the licenses when you graduate it would cause no end of trouble. Just like if MSDN licenses expired when your subscription goes all my family and friends would be totally screwed because for some unusual reason they're not paying for their licenses any more. ;)

Yeah, having the student licenses expire would cause no end of trouble, just as it would be with MSDN licenses expiring after your subscription ends (if not more trouble since generally, you use a few more than one license, I've gone through over ten for an assortment of software so far... =P).

But anyways, they don't expire, or shouldn't, you sure it didn't expire for another reason, Jamil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back