What's with servers nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see how this is any different from Single Player.
Because in coop, you don't have to actually DO anything. It's like single player, only with multiple people who do their own thing. Not very fun, isn't it? There's no point in playing coop when you can play it in single player.

I honestly don't get your arguments. (Do they exist?)

Because in coop, you don't have to actually DO anything.
If everyone stands still, does the game play itself?

It's like single player, only with multiple people
There's no point in playing coop when you can play it in single player.
Your words contradict even themselves. Coop is exactly like Single Player, except with multiple people, yet it's the same as Single Player, so there's no point to its existance?

You can just ignore the gametype and play Match, you know.

You can just ignore the gametype and play Match, you know.

Ya see, this is the problem; almost every serv is Coop! It's hard to find a GOOD match serv nowadays; some of the good/decent servs are turning to Coop too! Granted, if a serv hosts coop, they usually arn't good servs, but still, not enough Match/CTF servs nowadays.

If everyone stands still, does the game play itself?
No, but if you do nothing, the other players in the game will finish the level for you. (You CAN avoid this with "playersforexit" but then everybody has to wait for the last one. And why wait for everyone if you don't have to wait in singleplayer?)

Your words contradict even themselves. Coop is exactly like Single Player, except with multiple people, yet it's the same as Single Player, so there's no point to its existance?
I did not contradict myself anywhere. What I said was: Coop is single player with multiple people. But what is the point of playing the single player campaign in a server if you can play it alone? It doesn't make any difference, so coop is pretty much useless if you don't help others.

Ya see, this is the problem; almost every serv is Coop! It's hard to find a GOOD match serv nowadays; some of the good/decent servs are turning to Coop too! Granted, if a serv hosts coop, they usually arn't good servs, but still, not enough Match/CTF servs nowadays.
Then host it yourself! Or ask someone to do it for you!

You can't blame people for not playing the gametype you want to. If the gametype flat out didn't exist, THEN you'd have something to complain about.

No, but if you do nothing, the other players in the game will finish the level for you.
This is an illogical statement. If everybody follows the same imperative, there are no "other players" to finish the level for anyone.

What you're talking about isn't a problem with the gametype, it's a problem with the players. It's the equivalent of having a 16 player CTF game where there's only two people not idling, one in each team. What's the point of the other 14 players?

I did not contradict myself anywhere. What I said was: Coop is single player with multiple people. But what is the point of playing the single player campaign in a server if you can play it alone? It doesn't make any difference, so coop is pretty much useless if you don't help others.
The difference is that you can play it with multiple people. This is what SRB2 Coop is right now and in no way does it fail that principle.

Whether you like it or not, that's a completely different beast. But Coop, as it is supposed to be, works fine right now. Again, if you want to make some truly cooperative maps, go right ahead. Steer the community into the right path. But SRB2 currently has no real cooperation built into its design.

Last edited:
This is an illogical statement. If everybody follows the same imperative, there are no "other players" to finish the level for anyone.
But nobody does. As it stands, coop doesn't need YOU to finish the level, it needs ANYONE in the group to finish the level. You can just sit around and do nothing but still continue.

The difference is that you can play it with multiple people. This is what SRB2 Coop is right now and in no way does it fail that principle.
And what's the point of playing it with multiple people?

Forget it, I'm not wasting any more time with this. Just go ahead and read all the posts again from the start and pretend that's how the conversation went on.

I was doing a non coop server yesterday but then someone asked for coop. So I did it anyway cause I had nothing better to do. Good thing I had some extra map wads on.

Whats the point of playing it with ONE person? =\
Coop is good if there are good level wads added, srb2's levels get boring after playing 90+ coop servers from gfz - erz. ALTHOUGH it can help WADders or SOCcers to have people beta test their WADs or SOCs.

Whats the point of playing it with ONE person? =\
You're NOT being serious, are you? The fact is, playing the regular levels in coop means playing single player, only that other players are on the same map. What's the point of connecting to a server just for THAT?

I agree that it's a totally different thing if you're actually playing custom maps that you HAVEN'T played to death already.

No, actually, the conversation is just going in circles, so, rightfully, he decided it wasn't worth it.
Ahhh, so he was being sarcastic when saying this:

Forget it, I'm not wasting any more time with this. Just go ahead and read all the posts again from the start and pretend that's how the conversation went on.

Anyways, we both had two different opinions and couldn't be convinced otherwise, so yeah, it was time to stop.

I'll reiterate this AGAIN for those that don't seem to get it:

Coop is a multiplayer version of the single player game. That's ALL it is, and we're not going to make it more than that. I know a lot of people seem to think it's somehow a priority around here because so many people seem to play it, but it's not. All it's for is to allow you to play the single player game in a group of friends, like when Player 2 could control Tails in S3K and fly Sonic around. In S3K Coop, Player 1 can ignore Player 2 entirely and just run away from them, kinda defeating the point of "Coop" as well. However, the option is there if you'd like to use it.

If you don't want to PLAY Coop, I suggest you find or make some servers using the other gametypes. It seems there are a lot of people who would join if this topic is anything to go by.

I don't know if this applies anymore, but whenever I played Coop post 2.0.0, it was less "hey let's cooperate and i'll flying you around yay"... yet it was also less "hey let's speed through the level as fast as possible" at the same time.

A lot of times, yeah, we'd be going our own ways... but half of it was that you'd be exploring the levels and be talking to people also, maybe even observing the others around you (F12 is an absolute wonder). You'd have some splitting up the tokens and stuff, but I noticed people were generally fine with waiting around, especially since if they knew people would be taking their time that you'd also take your time trying out new paths or just exploring/messing around in general. In particular, me and another person or two often will be trying out a new wad together, commenting, exploring, and generally having a fun time.

Yes, it's the same things you can do in single player... you could also play Garry's Mod in single player mode just as much as you could multiplayer. But SP Garry's Mod is very boring... MP is an totally different story, even if it's just so you can observe what everyone else is doing and talk to them, too.

Of course, considering how socially I can use SRB2 sometimes, it's a wonder I haven't been banned from the MS for not playing super srsly. Then again, I usually only play random new coop wads or play on CTF servers anyways.

Basically what Mystic said, I have more fun in coop when I have one of my real friends come over and we go though the game in split screen mode. This just gives more of the Sonic the Hedgehog feel that I originally wanted when I played this game. I mainly do coop to show off, do something that allows chatting while playing (Match sure doesn't) and to find out any tricks for levels I never knew about. It's kinda like why would anyone replay Sonic the Hedgehog 2? It's the same game right? Well at least in SRB2 people are given the chance to change who they play with, what stages they play on, and how they play it.

The same point there is to playing it alone? You keep taking your discussion in circles.
Hell, the only time I ever play coop is to play with Luminous, because the players I meet online either don't let me finish or never shut up.

I don't get the arguement. Most people have there servers on "People for exit: All". I usually start Co-op but I always remember to the people for exit thing so I don't have to deal with people just sitting there chatting away while the other finish.

I agree with Jamil. I play with him all the time, and he always sets the settings for that. Also Jamil, chatting while the others finish, that is sort of the point of SRB2, to bring people together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back