Whatever happened with the tunes command?

X27543

I remember noticing this some time after coming back to SRB2 a long while ago (from the pre 2.0 era) and had never really found a solid answer to this. I remember back in the day music would fill in slots that you could go through and oftentimes even memorize (even with addons) and bind and play as you wished. This would let you go around exploring all the tunes in the game and listening to them whenever you wanted to and I would often leverage that to set the tone as desired. Nowadays I see the tunes are associated with maps or general internal names. Does that mean that these days the only way to use tunes is to know beforehand every single exact internal name? That seems like a massive downgrade especially if there's no simple way to get a list. It was always fun back in the day to find tunes I'd never even heard of before. But it seems that now you can't anymore because you'd have to know the exact denomination beforehand. Is there any way around that? I do believe there is a way to list the currently playing tune but I don't remember that making too much of a difference so I didn't use it often.
The tune numbers used to go into the thousands and even though I know all the slots weren't occupied it wouldn't be very difficult just plugging in random numbers until you found something cool. If you throw addons into the mix, this problem is further exacerbated as there is no readily available method to have them all listed or reachable that I know of. I think the wiki has a list of vanilla internal names for tunes, but I swear that list is nowhere near as long as the amount I was able to go through even with just vanilla back in the days.

I get there were likely technical reasons for the change with music / map slots and this could alleviate overlap, but doesn't this mean it's a flat downgrade in terms of being able to switch tunes as desired? I'd appreciate thoughts on the matter.

The Tunes command still works, but yea, you do need to know the name of the track. While this is a downgrade for the command, it's an upgrade for the music system in that you can now name music tracks more inline with the level they go with now, or even if they're suppose to evoke a feeling.

For addons, you can get the music track names from the addons themselves using slade.

Apologies for skipping around the wall of text. It was sparse on spacing.

The Tunes command still works, but yea, you do need to know the name of the track. While this is a downgrade for the command, it's an upgrade for the music system in that you can now name music tracks more inline with the level they go with now, or even if they're suppose to evoke a feeling.

For addons, you can get the music track names from the addons themselves using slade.

Apologies for skipping around the wall of text. It was sparse on spacing.
Apologies for the hastily made message, I didn't have too much time to make it easy on the eyes! Yeah, it is sad to see that overall the system seems just downgraded for the user despite it helping in the developmental side of things. The tip with Slade is immensely helpful though, thank you. It's a bit weird and disruptive to have to tab out and load in assets to analyze the track names but I suppose long gone are the days of just flipping through random tunes slots for fun and surprises. It would be interesting if an addon could perhaps streamline the user's side of things by pointing to the tracks using, say, numbers for example. Regardless, very appreciated!

I kinda miss the old system, but I also see the benefits of the new one. I kinda wish there was a way to have our cake and eat it too, but I can't imagine how that would even work.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back