What in the world is SRB2 Workshop?

i feel like it’s kinda similarly disrespecting the artist, but idk I haven’t been able to get a lot of ppl to agree with that 1 lol
It kinda iiiiis and kinda iiiiisn't? It is a very grey territory right there. You as the author can't necessarily FORCE people to play the way you intend them to, that even is against the rules I believe. You may endorse it, and anyone calling your map shit because they didn't play the intended way shouldn't be criticizing you to begin with. On the other hand you can just make the stage doable by the core cast and call it a day. There's way too many custom characters released on the MB to accommodate every single one in a single map. It's not only impractical, I'm pretty sure it's impossible. However you can make custom paths for custom characters you like, that's entirely up to you.

I'm not entirely sure how it works if you want to make a map only for a specific character, custom or otherwise. Is it against the rules if it can't be completed by Sonic or Knuckles, but can be by Tails, for example? Especially when intentional and specified in the thread?

Oh modding is absolutely art, I don’t see it as different from drawings
That actually makes a lot of sense and I can see where one would view that, prob not the best feeling to make a hard level and have someone “fix it” by making it easy

I really need to write that thing to the staff tho it’s further proving my point lmao
Post automatically merged:

I feel like although there are ppl that do that lumping everyone in is kinda inaccurate
I don’t see how someone thinking all mods should be reusable, for example, and even voicing that, automatically makes them hate the mb and like the workshop
I wasn't trying to lump everyone that think that into this. I'm sorry if I kinda wrote it that way

It kinda iiiiis and kinda iiiiisn't? It is a very grey territory right there. You as the author can't necessarily FORCE people to play the way you intend them to, that even is against the rules I believe. However on the other hand you can just make the stage doable by the core cast and call it a day. There's way too many custom characters released on the MB to accommodate every single one in a single map. It's not only impractical, I'm pretty sure it's impossible. However you can make custom paths for custom characters you like, that's entirely up to you.

I'm not entirely sure how it works if you want to make a map only for a specific character, custom or otherwise. Is it against the rules if it can't be completed by Sonic or Knuckles, but can be by Tails, for example? Especially when intentional and specified in the thread?
Pretty sure it's allowed as mods like Kirby's Dreamland which are stated on the page to be built specifically for Kirby and Meta Knight, and are next to impossible to beat as Sonic, currently exist.

I’m more comparing it to playing a portleg, not making one
it's not really disrespectful to play a portleg. it's your time, do whatever you want with it

the problem would be if you try to get support for it or try to criticise it, both targetting the author of the original product
since, you know, you played something that wasn't particularly ported by them...

it's not really disrespectful to play a portleg. it's your time, do whatever you want with it

the problem would be if you try to get support for it or try to criticise it, both targetting the author of the original product
since, you know, you played something that wasn't particularly ported by them...
I think it's fair to criticize it in the context of how it fares as a port (i.e. what is the quality of the port job, hell well did the portlegger translate these assets into the newest version) since that's targeted towards whoever decided to portleg and not the original author, but otherwise I would agree.

Yeah I feel, sorry if this was confusing it was more just a little “hey my brain see connection here” lol

To get back on track, I think the Workshop's rules about reusability would be entirely fine if they only applied to content from the Workshop. As in, you posted your content to the Workshop, you agreed beforehand that anyone could do anything with it. That would be totally okay. But they also treat MB mods explicitly marked "Please don't edit this" the same way.

They claim to just want to be left alone, to be allowed to use their own rules. But that's a two-way street, and they don't respect the wishes of the MB. They take content from here, edit it, and post it there against our wishes. This is why both sides do not share equal blame for starting this situation. If you want to be left alone, then leave us alone too.

To get back on track, I think the Workshop's rules about reusability would be entirely fine if they only applied to content from the Workshop. As in, you posted your content to the Workshop, you agreed beforehand that anyone could do anything with it. That would be totally okay. But they also treat MB mods explicitly marked "Please don't edit this" the same way.

They claim to just want to be left alone, to be allowed to use their own rules. But that's a two-way street, and they don't respect the wishes of the MB. They take content from here, edit it, and post it there against our wishes. This is why both sides do not share equal blame for starting this situation. If you want to be left alone, then leave us alone too.
Yeah no I totally agree here with you. You can't claim you want to be left alone if you keep disturbing us. Back to my point about ports, I think someone holds off a port because they wanna port it themselves, more power to ya. I wanna talk about if they don't have plans for it. I understand that get a say because it's they're mod, but at the same time you're denying the enjoyment of others of your work in a new version. I'm not saying they have no rights, I'm saying it feels unfair that some folks won't get to enjoy your art in the latest version. Shouldn't it be flattering that fans of your mod wanna recreate your mod into the latest version? Also, about the argument of that you can just go back into 2.1 or whatever it is and enjoy it there, 1. New fans should not be forced to download 2 versions of a fangame because the creator said "no port for 2.2" 2. There are specific mods that are only compatible with 2.2 that you cannot enjoy in a version like 2.1. Once again, I respect the modder's wishes, but these two points make it feel unfair (for me at least), especially for newcomers. Once again, I wanna hear your guys thoughts on the matter (please stop calling me "entitled", name-calling is very rude and I'm trying to be civilized here).

it feels unfair that some folks won't get to enjoy your art in the latest version. Shouldn't it be flattering that fans of your mod wanna recreate your mod into the latest version?
i'd find it flattering if you want to do something derived from something i did because you liked some particular mechanic i built.
think "borrowing the railgun from quake 2" or a "tf2 rocket jumping in srb2" sort of deal.
note this is completely different from making a port. in this case, you would be just replicating a mechanic.

i'd find it weird if someone took my mod, changed a few variables around without asking my dumb ass if that'd be okay or if there are going to be any possible incompatibilities, and tried to distribute it as a port.
i don't get to know the changes, i don't get to know the performance, i might be against some changes, and i'm going to get people that can't read asking me why is "my" 3.6 port of my 1.23.45 mod not worky.

that's not flattering. that's just showing you're impatient and want a port now now now *foot stomp*.

edit: tpyo

Last edited:
Yeah no I totally agree here with you. You can't claim you want to be left alone if you keep disturbing us. Back to my point about ports, I think someone holds off a port because they wanna port it themselves, more power to ya. I wanna talk about if they don't have plans for it. I understand that get a say because it's they're mod, but at the same time you're denying the enjoyment of others of your work in a new version. I'm not saying they have no rights, I'm saying it feels unfair that some folks won't get to enjoy your art in the latest version. Shouldn't it be flattering that fans of your mod wanna recreate your mod into the latest version? Also, about the argument of that you can just go back into 2.1 or whatever it is and enjoy it there, 1. New fans should not be forced to download 2 versions of a fangame because the creator said "no port for 2.2" 2. There are specific mods that are only compatible with 2.2 that you cannot enjoy in a version like 2.1. Once again, I respect the modder's wishes, but these two points make it feel unfair (for me at least), especially for newcomers. Once again, I wanna hear your guys thoughts on the matter (please stop calling me "entitled", name-calling is very rude and I'm trying to be civilized here).
You keep making these assumptions that you have the right to do whatever you want with something just because you like it. That's why you're being called entitled. It's not an insult. It's not name-calling. It's just a very normal adjective to describe what's going on here.

It's not unfair to make someone take 5 minutes out of their day to click "Download" on the SRB2 website to get an old version of the game. If you aren't willing to do that, that's on you.

i'd find it weird if someone took my mod, changed a few variables around without asking my dumb ass if that'd be okay or if there are going to be any possible incompatibilities, and tried to distribute it as a port.
i don't get to know the changes, i don't get to know the performance, i might be against some changes, and i'm going to get people that can't read asking me why is "my" 3.6 port of my 1.23.45 mod not worky.

that's not flattering. that's just showing you're impatient and want a port now now now *foot stomp*.
In this circumstance, they didn't ask you, which is wrong and not my point. I'm starting to think maybe I miscommunicated. I just wanna be able to sit down, grab some coffee, and discuss about porting their mod. That's all I want here. Just a simple shot to talk about porting their work. Is that too much to ask?
You keep making these assumptions that you have the right to do whatever you want with something just because you like it.

It's not unfair to make someone take 5 minutes out of their day to click "Download" on the SRB2 website to get an old version of the game. If you aren't willing to do that, that's on you.
Look, all I wanna do is just talk to them. I get if they say they aren't gonna port, I'm just asking. Once again, we really shouldn't be forcing newcomers to SRB2 to download 2.2 and 2.1 for one mod they saw was cool. This isn't about me. It's not about me going and downloading earlier versions. In a sense, that's very controlling for a fangame that claims it's open-source community-driven (once again, just because I claim it's controlling doesn't mean all hell can break loose like the WS, I just mean I feel like it's oddly controlling more than it should be).

Is that too much to ask?
you always could just go and ask
plenty people in this thread have said so

the problem is when people feel entitled to do it without asking or without permission because ??? and the consequences thereof

you always could just go and ask
plenty people in this thread have said so

the problem is when people feel entitled to do it without asking or without permission because ??? and the consequences thereof
Yes, I 1000% whole-heartedly agree with you. I don't wanna do a port without permission and go feel entitled because I like it. And a issue that could happen is that they just dont respond, like at all. I heard that if they don't respond and they haven't said anything against porting, that it's legal then. But what about if the same situation happens, but they did say you can't port it. What now?

that's when you say "oh, okay" and do something else
...but is that fair??? They don't respond, most likely out of the community, but we still follow their rules? Ig? I know this sounds like "thats just you being selfish for wanting the port *crying*" but its the same situation as before, but the sole difference is that they something beforehand as opposed to not at all. It's the same issue, but one variable changes. Once again, this feels slightly controlling (no them having wishes isnt selfish) to me. Wanna know your thoughts.

In this circumstance, they didn't ask you, which is wrong and not my point. I'm starting to think maybe I miscommunicated. I just wanna be able to sit down, grab some coffee, and discuss about porting their mod. That's all I want here. Just a simple shot to talk about porting their work. Is that too much to ask?

Look, all I wanna do is just talk to them. I get if they say they aren't gonna port, I'm just asking. Once again, we really shouldn't be forcing newcomers to SRB2 to download 2.2 and 2.1 for one mod they saw was cool. This isn't about me. It's not about me going and downloading earlier versions. In a sense, that's very controlling for a fangame that claims it's open-source community-driven (once again, just because I claim it's controlling doesn't mean all hell can break loose like the WS, I just mean I feel like it's oddly controlling more than it should be).
Okay, then talk to them! No one's stopping you. If they say yes, great! But if they say no, you have to respect that.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back