What do you hate most about the game?

uh...I wish that the uhh air current section from Azure Temple would die a slow and painful death.
srb20105.png

I don't outright hate the two things I'm going to bring up, but I'd like to mention them:

1. The Hive Elementals and their Bumblebores in Aerial Garden Zone. I can deal with (and actually enjoy) the challenge of that stage, but those bees ruin the fun for me sometimes, in any stage they appear in really — but not as much as...

2. The fact that touching any wall even slightly completely halts your momentum!
It's as if someone pulls back your character suddenly every time you're near a wall. Not when you run straight into a wall — when you're running next to it and bump it, and then you suddenly stop in place. Not fun.

That said, these might just be due to my lack of skill when it comes to games these days. Maybe my views on these will change someday.

It's impossible for me to pick just one, so instead, here's a list of nearly every nitpick I have with SRB2.
In no particular order:
  • Physics that completely fail to live up to the promise that we've had on our website for 20 years of recreating the Genesis originals in 3D
  • Some unlockables take way too long to unlock, and I would argue some are not worth unlocking at all (looking at your maps, Mystic) -- I have only unlocked the emblem radar once in over 10 years of playing
  • Controls menus are way too confusing, consistently inconveniencing new players
  • Players are never taught how to play NiGHTS stages properly, usually resulting in them giving up or having to retry countless times to get the last couple of emeralds -- I never liked NiGHTS until Rob of all people informed me that the spin button slows you down, allowing for very precise control. We have a tutorial to teach thok, but not NiGHTS? Why?
  • Most enemies and bosses do not have large enough hitboxes, sometimes leading to deaths due to slightly missing your target
  • Mashing the jump key is required to fly as Tails, which is an accessibility issue and very annoying
  • Metal's dash mode is nearly impossible to utilize effectively and his hover is underwhelming
  • Fang must come to a halt to use his weapon, which is clunky and not very appealing (his bounce is neat though)
  • Ringslinger is a zombie game mode that was never truly more fun after Final Demo
  • Circuit maps no longer come with the game, meaning no one plays my favorite game mode back in Final Demo anymore
  • Sonic's thok is an uninspired ability with a silly name, and it encourages players to blow past enemies instead of ever engaging with them. High level Sonic play boils down to mashing the jump button while trying to keep Sonic on the most optimal path. Pretty much brainless gameplay, but you'll still die to pits from launching slightly the wrong direction
  • Installing addons is a total pain on any platform other than Windows
  • Port forwarding is required for netgames, preventing many people who are inexperienced with computers from hosting
  • Many graphics and maps have fallen by the wayside, really showing their age
  • Tools for moderating chat in netgames are too limited
  • 3D models are a nightmare to add/swap, they should just load from a .pk3
  • Devmode 15 makes the console log unusable
  • Mouse doesn't work in menus
  • You can accidentally bind Enter to something you shouldn't, bricking the game until you fix or delete config.cfg
  • F11 isn't a fullscreen toggle (yet)
  • Single player campaign isn't very good past Red Volcano (with exceptions in some areas)
  • Final boss gets its own shout-out for being a cheap and irritating fight
  • Techno Hill boss is easier than Greenflower boss
  • Using Tails to pick up other players and fly them somewhere else is way too finicky so it gets underused in netgames
  • There's next to nothing cooperative about co-op netgames; players can't really interact with each other other than Tails's flight and Amy's shield
  • Error messages shown when the game crashes are usually useless
  • PolyObjects are too unintuitive to create and require specific setups to work without glitches, meaning they're hardly ever used
  • Linedef executors are a nightmare to set up unless you're doing something pretty basic
  • Air bubble hitboxes are too small, and you will die over and over to missing the bubble by a few tics
  • Space countdown. 'Nuff said.
  • Various options are never saved
  • Insane restrictions on saving the game; if you get all the emeralds as any character that should be enough to unlock saving single player games with mods loaded
  • Say it with me, kids: control lag in netgames
"But Sev," you say, "aren't you a developer? Can't you fix most of these things?" No, I can't. I make maps, not pull requests, and I rarely find satisfaction in mapping for the base game, especially when it comes to making a new map from scratch. I still help out with little miscellaneous things when I can, though.

Before Mystic's removal -- particularly, during my brief departure from the dev team -- I asked him if he thought SRB2 was a step towards something greater. I don't remember his answer, and I don't know if I have an answer myself, but I still think about this question from time to time.

In spite of everything, I still love this game. I just seem to play it less as time goes on. Don't you worry, though. You'll all be stuck with me for a good while longer :p

It's impossible for me to pick just one, so instead, here's a list of nearly every nitpick I have with SRB2.
In no particular order:
  • Physics that completely fail to live up to the promise that we've had on our website for 20 years of recreating the Genesis originals in 3D
  • Some unlockables take way too long to unlock, and I would argue some are not worth unlocking at all (looking at your maps, Mystic) -- I have only unlocked the emblem radar once in over 10 years of playing
  • Controls menus are way too confusing, consistently inconveniencing new players
  • Players are never taught how to play NiGHTS stages properly, usually resulting in them giving up or having to retry countless times to get the last couple of emeralds -- I never liked NiGHTS until Rob of all people informed me that the spin button slows you down, allowing for very precise control. We have a tutorial to teach thok, but not NiGHTS? Why?
  • Most enemies and bosses do not have large enough hitboxes, sometimes leading to deaths due to slightly missing your target
  • Mashing the jump key is required to fly as Tails, which is an accessibility issue and very annoying
  • Metal's dash mode is nearly impossible to utilize effectively and his hover is underwhelming
  • Fang must come to a halt to use his weapon, which is clunky and not very appealing (his bounce is neat though)
  • Ringslinger is a zombie game mode that was never truly more fun after Final Demo
  • Circuit maps no longer come with the game, meaning no one plays my favorite game mode back in Final Demo anymore
  • Sonic's thok is an uninspired ability with a silly name, and it encourages players to blow past enemies instead of ever engaging with them. High level Sonic play boils down to mashing the jump button while trying to keep Sonic on the most optimal path. Pretty much brainless gameplay, but you'll still die to pits from launching slightly the wrong direction
  • Installing addons is a total pain on any platform other than Windows
  • Port forwarding is required for netgames, preventing many people who are inexperienced with computers from hosting
  • Many graphics and maps have fallen by the wayside, really showing their age
  • Tools for moderating chat in netgames are too limited
  • 3D models are a nightmare to add/swap, they should just load from a .pk3
  • Devmode 15 makes the console log unusable
  • Mouse doesn't work in menus
  • You can accidentally bind Enter to something you shouldn't, bricking the game until you fix or delete config.cfg
  • F11 isn't a fullscreen toggle (yet)
  • Single player campaign isn't very good past Red Volcano (with exceptions in some areas)
  • Final boss gets its own shout-out for being a cheap and irritating fight
  • Techno Hill boss is easier than Greenflower boss
  • Using Tails to pick up other players and fly them somewhere else is way too finicky so it gets underused in netgames
  • There's next to nothing cooperative about co-op netgames; players can't really interact with each other other than Tails's flight and Amy's shield
  • Error messages shown when the game crashes are usually useless
  • PolyObjects are too unintuitive to create and require specific setups to work without glitches, meaning they're hardly ever used
  • Linedef executors are a nightmare to set up unless you're doing something pretty basic
  • Air bubble hitboxes are too small, and you will die over and over to missing the bubble by a few tics
  • Space countdown. 'Nuff said.
  • Various options are never saved
  • Insane restrictions on saving the game; if you get all the emeralds as any character that should be enough to unlock saving single player games with mods loaded
  • Say it with me, kids: control lag in netgames
"But Sev," you say, "aren't you a developer? Can't you fix most of these things?" No, I can't. I make maps, not pull requests, and I rarely find satisfaction in mapping for the base game, especially when it comes to making a new map from scratch. I still help out with little miscellaneous things when I can, though.

Before Mystic's removal -- particularly, during my brief departure from the dev team -- I asked him if he thought SRB2 was a step towards something greater. I don't remember his answer, and I don't know if I have an answer myself, but I still think about this question from time to time.

In spite of everything, I still love this game. I just seem to play it less as time goes on. Don't you worry, though. You'll all be stuck with me for a good while longer :p
it's like you and I are on the same wavelength, I totally agree with a lot of these points. So allow me to add some fuel to the fire.

• Some maps are way too big for their own good (Lookin at you Castle Eggman.)
  • The online multiplayer puts Nintendo Switch Online to shame.
  • Linedef Executors just feel unintuitive to use, especially when making anything complex.
  • SOC feels pretty limiting in terms of what you can do with it.
  • Lua is a nice addition, but it's pretty much a massive skill barrier for amateur modders. You basically have to take an entire class on programming to use it effectively.
  • Brak Eggman is an underwhelming final boss. It's basically just a Cyberdemon but with the Archviles hitscan attack.
  • The Fang boss can kiss my ass.
  • 2.2 removed the SRB1 remake and replaced it with final demo's version of THZ2.
  • 2.2's artstyle just feels bland overall, I'd go as far as to say that it looks corporate in a few areas.
  • the 100% completion bonus isn't worth it at all, like "wooo! I unlocked level select and....the ability to do stuff that I could already do with devmode!"
  • Metal Sonic has so much wasted potential.
  • SRB2 just doesn't have a lot of modding potenial overall.

The best way I can describe SRB2 is that it's a great Sonic fangame, but a terrible Doom sourceport. I have some experience with GZDoom modding and hooooooo boy, the amount of stuff you can add, tweak, and change in GZDoom makes SRB2 look like Wolfenstein 3D. I've seen some truly Amazing mods for GZDoom (Project Brutality, Russian Overkill, Treasure Tech, the list goes on,) but then I look back at SRB2 and I think to myself "If only..." I just don't see a lot of modding potential with SRB2 unlike most other Doom sourceports.

I still do like SRB2 as a Sonic fangame, it's one of the best I've played. But as a Doom sourceport, yea it's garbage.

SRB2 just doesn't have a lot of modding potenial overall.
20 years worth of mods would like to have a talk with you lol. Mods are the life blood of the game! If so many people weren't making so many cool things all the time, people would get bored waiting for the next big update :p
the amount of stuff you can add, tweak, and change in GZDoom makes SRB2 look like Wolfenstein 3D
You don't have to tell me, I helped make a new GZDoom game from scratch. You should totally play it.
In fairness to SRB2, there are a number of things it can do that GZDoom can't, most notably dynamic slopes.

20 years worth of mods would like to have a talk with you lol. Mods are the life blood of the game! If so many people weren't making so many cool things all the time, people would get bored waiting for the next big update :p

You don't have to tell me, I helped make a new GZDoom game from scratch. You should totally play it.
In fairness to SRB2, there are a number of things it can do that GZDoom can't, most notably dynamic slopes.
I get that, theres definitely a whole bunch of other people that know the game far better than I do. The fact that you guys made a Sonic game based on DOOM is a very impressive feat and there can be some pretty great stuff I've seen. It's just that when I look at what other doom-based games have to offer, I just think to myself "If only SRB2 could do all that."

Also that GZDoom game you helped make sounds sick, mind giving me a link to it?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back