What are your thoughts on the Sonic Gameboy advance titles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLpresents

What are your thoughts on the Sonic Gameboy advance titles?
Sonic Advance [9/10]
Sonic Advance 2 [8/10
Sonic Advance 3 [5/10]
Sonic Pinball Party [Pity]
Sonic Battle [8/10]
Sonic Genesis [OH GOD!] for trying i'll give it a 1/10

Sonic Advance [9/10]
Sonic Advance 2 [8/10]
Sonic Advance 3 [7.5/10]
Sonic Pinball Party[6.5/10]
Sonic Battle[7.5/10]
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis[KILL IT]

Sonic Advance
It was an alright game, it took Sonic back to what he did best. Running. Actual speedy running for once. If they had removed the other characters, it'd of been 11/10. However...
8/10

Sonic Advance 2
A attempt to cash in on the sucess of Sonic Advance, this had the makings of a good game. However, it went down the Sonic Stream of Shittiness by not only adding more unessacary chracters but assraping the special stages.
4/10

Sonic Advance 3
The two-person gameplay was a good idea, but it was poorly executed, pointless, and combined with the worst level design ever, caused it to be my least faveroute of ALL the games. Seriously.
2/10

Sonic Pinball Party
I've never played it. As such, I refuse to write about it.
N/A

Sonic Battle
I disliked it. The thought of kicking the crap out of Sonic was appealing, but they completely did it wrong. The emerl customization feature was a bit pointless as well - simply a cash in of everyones 'HAI I'M A HEDGEHOG I'M ALL POWERFUL LOL' dreams.
3/10

Sonic Genesis
Again, I've never played it. But from what other people have been saying, I dont think I want to play it either.
N/A

kdone.

Sonic Advance [10/10]
Advance 2 [8.2/10]
Advance 3 [6.8/10]
Pinball Party [Its Alright..]
Battle [Eh... Okay..]
Sonic Genesis [OH JESUS, PUT THIS IN ATARI'S E.T LANDFILL! ITS A BAD GAME 'NUFF SAID!]

Sonic Advance [8/10] This game was quite good in my opinion, but playing as Amy made me want to bang my head onto a wall.
Advance 2 [7/10] I found this a wee bit difficult, manly because of the special stages/boss fights.
Advance 3 [6.8/10] the Teamwork gimmick wasn't good in heroes, it isn't good in this either
Pinball Party [6/10] I liked this for the first hour, the it got stale
Battle [8/10] I realy liked this game, I liked how you could customize the robot.
Sonic Genesis [-10/10] Do I really have to explain myself for this one?

I never played sonic Genesis but I youtube'd it and got a hilarious review. Just, terrible.

Sonic Advance is definately the best of the 3 but I believe sonic advance 3 had the best music. 1-up to whoever did it. (Probably one of SEGA's godly composers from Wavemaster)

Well.... Let's see....
SAdvance: 10/10, this is a Sonic game now.
SA2: Although the addition of MORE FREAKING CHARACTERS ticked me off, a good game.
SA3: I liked the 2-player mode, I liked hindering my friends progress.
Sonic Battle: Freaking fun, I loved over-powering Emerl and getting 100%.
Sonic Pinball: I won't touch this with a 25,000 foot pole.
Sonic Remake: KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT ASdAAAFFFF FUUUUUU!!

Sonic Advance [9/10]
Sonic Advance 2 [7.5/10]
Sonic Advance 3 [6/10]
Sonic Battle [5/10]
Sonic Pinball Party [DIE IN A FIRE]
Sonic Genesis [YOU TOO]

It's been a while, so take these reviews with a grain of salt.

SA1 - 7/10. The closest thing we have to Sonic 4. While this is mostly done in modern style, this takes a whole lot of elements from the classics, including bosses, momentum based speed, etc. If you're into both Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure, you'll likely enjoy the game. My one real complaint is that you can't turn super in normal levels.

SA2 - 5/10. Has redeeming elements, but screwed up a lot of what Sonic Advance 1 did right. Boost pads get rid of some of the platforming, and because this is more speed-based, the inclusion of more bottomless pits can be somewhat frustrating. One terrible alteration of the formula is that, in order to get into special stages, you must collect seven tokens hidden in a level, and dying in the midst of collecting them gets rid of the tokens you collected. I don't know what monkey of a game developer decided this would be a good idea; the special stage is nostalgic if you do happen to get to one, but considering the masochistic tokens and the fact that Super Sonic still isn't playable in normal levels, this isn't worth it. The worst part about it is the fact you must collect all emeralds with different characters to unlock certain stuff, such as playing as Amy Rose or unlocking the mini chao garden (unlocking the mini chao garden was a really stupid idea considering Sonic Advance allowed you to play it at the start). As for the redeeming elements, characters can do tricks in midair, which increases the skill involved in getting to certain paths and whatnot. The boss levels take an interesting twist on the usual formula by having you constantly running after Eggman's machine, and I personally had fun with the bosses, although a couple were a bit ridiculous. This game does introduce Cream, who makes the game far too easy as far as bosses are concerned, but you're not required to play as specific characters to beat the regular game once. Overall, not worth hundred percenting, but it may be worth borrowing from a friend.

Sonic Advance - 6/10. I felt this was less annoying. The team system was interesting, but I probably would have preferred to play without it. Collecting emeralds still could have been handled better. Otherwise, I honestly don't really have much to say about this game. Nothing stands out as exceptionally good or exceptionally bad.

Sonic Battle - 7/10. I quite enjoyed this. The customization was entertaining, but I never figured out the best way to get the master skills the best way. Probably the best thing about this game is that if you want to be overpowered, you can do so once you've proven your worth, but if you want a challenge, you can always choose the less powerful abilities. The stages unfortunately didn't have a whole bunch of variety, but it's still enough to entertain for a while.

Sonic Advance
It was the best of all three, and the gameplay reminded me of Sonic's better 2D days. The level design was great, characters were well balanced, ways of getting into the special stages weren't totally unrealistic, and the graphics were far better than I thought it would be. I still enjoy playing this game. The final boss was downright horrible though, it was rather cheap.
9/10
super said:
Sonic Advance [8/10] This game was quite good in my opinion, but playing as Amy made me want to bang my head onto a wall.
Really? The way Amy handled was actually one of the reasons I enjoy playing it. The other characters accelerated way too slowly for my tastes, and it was frustrating to speed up. With Amy I could just do a quick hop forward and already start running. Using her hammer on enemies and springs was useful as well. I enjoyed actually beating the crap out of enemies/bosses and ring monitors. I'd go on longer about all of Amy's advantages in this game, but I don't feel like it right now.

Sonic Advance 2
I got bored of this rather fast. There was too much running, and not enough emphasis on actual platforming like the previous title. The game also felt extremely dry without a water stage of some sort, LAME. The way to get into the special stages were totally unrealistic, no kid would ever waste their time collecting several well hidden special rings. And all that just to play as Amy. WTF?!
6/10 I gave away my copy to a friend who had recently lost their cartridge of the game, and they lived happily ever after. THE END.

Sonic Advance 3
Great heavens this sucked. The partner system was so poorly executed, I almost wanted to cry. (I was expecting to just be able to swap out characters, but NO...) The level design was outright frustrating, and I had to slow down more often than I wanted to. There were death pits EVERYWHERE as well, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! That made it even more difficult and frustrating than necessary, resulting in constant cheap deaths.
Overall SA3 was horrible, but it deserves a 4/10 for teh lolz. Lucky for me, I tried out a ROM on VBA before looking for a copy. Still haven't bought it, and won't ever care to, even if someone offered it to me for $5.

Sonic Pinball Party

It's a Sonic-themed pinball game, and Sonic isn't the pinball...HOW **** LAME. I won't ever touch a Sonic game where the blue blur himself isn't even playable.

Sonic Battle
Eh, I first bought it thinking "OMG A 3D SONIC FIGHTER ON THE GO w00000000t!!!", then that novelty kinda wore off after I beat a few times. I enjoyed it, but felt it lacked the same kind of replay value other fighting games do. And the fact that all of your friends needed a copy to play with you ("Multipak") made it even more inconvenient to enjoy the game's multiplayer. REALLY BRIGHT IDEA THERE NINTENDO...
7/10

IMO, Sonic Advance and Sonic Battle were the only well-executed Advance titles, every other Advance game could die in a fire for all I care, seriously.

Sonic Advance: 7/10: The platforming was good (the speed was kinda meh, the only fast part was in the 1st act of the 1st zone), and the bosses were alright (Mecha Knuckles and the 7th boss were the most hardest and they couldn't help at all for a challenge "no ring loss"/"no life loss"). The graphics were great. As I was a "newbie" in the game, I was like "skipping" the special springs without I didn't even take account of it, but in either way, the special stages could go to "Heh, kinda easy" to "OMG, that sucks so much!". And if you didn't make it, you needed to die so you could enter it again. My other complaint was Angel Island: The graphics were so strange for me, and the traps were soooooooooooo nasty that before you could take account of it, you die.

Sonic Advance 2: 3/10: Even though I only tested, it was the most hard advance game I ever played: The special stage is easy, but to get there is sooooo hard, and soooooooooooo stupid, that I would rather prefer (Genesis/MD) Sonic 2's way to go to the special stage rather than this one's way. You see, just running at full speed like, 5/6 seconds and you've already missed 1/2 tokens. And the bosses... guh, even Sonic Unleashed's Day bosses are much better than these. And Finally, I MUST say that the pits are much more unnoticeable than Sonic Advance 3's, I swear it.

Sonic Advance 3: 8/10: From my point of view, it's the best advance game I ever played, and with the team add, it can be either fast, either strong and vice-versa. I also liked the "mini-boss" the bosses the adventure fields and the bonus stages that you can get more lives. Too bad there isn't any tiny chao garden, it's still good though.

I never played the rest of the games, so I can't review it, and I never bother to.

Sonic Advance 10/10
What else can I say that hasn't been said? The nostalgia of this particular game is top notch. It's like the Genesis except for introducing Amy's spectacular controls. I hold some very fast level records thanks to her.

Sonic Adv 2 7/10
I'd love this game a lot more if I could ever earn Amy fair and square, but that's just too damn frustrating. Not to mention the only 3 zones I like here are the 2nd, 5th, and 7th ones.

Sonic Advance 3 6/10
What the hell, SEGA? the special stages are way too easy here. And bustable enemies worth rings, that's just ridiculous. Like anybody really stops to destroy them anyway (I know I don't, I go for speed)

Dr.P said:
The partner system was so poorly executed, I almost wanted to cry. (I was expecting to just be able to swap out characters, but NO...)

I always thought that, too! All they would have had to do was put that on the L button. Seriously, I swear we the fans come up with better gaming ideas than they do...

Anyways, pressing on.

Pinball Party 0/10
I've never played it, I never will.

Sonic Battle 6/10
After earning all the combo cards, this game got monotonously boring.

Jeez, Sonic Genesis isn't as horrible as everyone says it is. Yeah, it's significantly less enjoyable than the original Genesis game, but it's still playable, guys. It's not like trying to play the underwater sections on Aquatic Labyrinth Zone Act 1 in Software mode on a 933 MHz processor, kthx.

:SonicMaster: said:
It's not like trying to play the underwater sections on Aquatic Labyrinth Zone Act 1 in Software mode on a 933 MHz processor, kthx.
Well that was an oddly specific analogy.

SA1

Own it, its terrific. Plays almost exactly like Sonic 2!

10/10!

SA2

Its fast..very fast. Oh and it wasn't my style...

?/10 (only "borrowed" it)

SA3

Awesome, Coop mode,4 player and more?!
Wow! I loved these levels.
8.5/10

Sonic battle
Pretty fun I should say, when I played it. I thought a lot of the levels were ridiculously hard!

?/10

Sonic Advance: 8/10

Pretty much plays like the classics except the addition of the characters. The levels were nicely designed, the characters were well balanced, but I found a few levels were a bit short particually the 1st world in the game. The special stages I did not like, sometimes you go for some rings, and for some apparent reason you clip a bomb without even faceplanting it. It would of been better if Super Sonic was playable in the normal levels.

Sonic Advance 2: 6/10

This one wasn't too bad, but it focused too much on speed, and less on the platforming. All most players had to do was to hold the right button most the time with the occassional jump, and victory, strike a pose! The special rings were frustrating as hell to get because not only you have to find 7 to actually get the special stage, but if you die, you lose the whole freakin bunch of rings, and you have to start again trying to find them just to go to a poorly executed special stage running your ass off like crazy trying to catch rings in a time limit. Hello, Sonic 3 special stages anyone? why couldn't they do that? If there was more platforming, and the characters were more balanced, then I'd boost my score up by 2 marks.

Sonic Advance 3: 7/10

I found this one quite fun. The level designs were complex, some were confusing, and some were pretty good. Again, it was mainly speed, but this time it had more platforming, and toned the speed down a small bit instead of flying like a rocket in less than a fraction of a second. Finding 70 chao to get 7 chaos emeralds was just as frustrating as finding the special rings in Advance 2. The tag team was a good idea, but not properly executed. I was expecting to have another function to switch the character as well as being able to use team combo techniques. Few of the bosses were pretty damn annoying to especially Twinkle Snow's classic style like boss. Coop was okish, annoying if your mate uses the friggin L button to drag you where you don't want them to drag you, especially in a death pit >.> but it wasn't too bad of a game.

Sonic Battle: 6/10

The combo card thing was a bit confusing for me. Beating the **** out of Sonic was a cool idea, just not executed right, but I played this on a emulator, and haven't beat the game, so I can't say anymore.

Sonic Genesis: 2/10

The legendary classic remade into the GBA, but in this twist, they really screwed this one up. The screen is so small, compared to the genesis you can't really see an awful lot. Spin dash just made it easier, and added a save feature. Who needs one when someone can easily beat the game in 30 - 35 minutes? I've done it in 20 in the original version (I speedran it) play it on the genesis for better value. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are getting it for the lulz.

Sonic Pinball Party: N/A/10

Haven't played, therefore, can't comment.

Hyperknux said:
Sonic Battle: 6/10

The combo card thing was a bit confusing for me. Beating the **** out of Sonic was a cool idea, just not executed right, but I played this on a emulator, and haven't beat the game, so I can't say anymore.

Let me spoil the plot for you. You end up having to kill a psychotic Emerl as Sonic. And I use psychotic because it's about the only term that best describes it.

Sonic Advance: 7/10
Sonic Advance 2: 6/10
Sonic Advance 3: 8/10
Sonic Battle: 7/10
Sonic Pinball Party:6/10
Sonic Genesis: 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back