What are your thoughts on Sonic Origins?

The announcement of the original games being delisted has even thrust doubt onto the future of S3AIR, which is currently the best way to play 3&K on PC. Currently it requires a Steam copy of 3&K, which is pretty cheap. Once 3&K is off Steam, there's not really any other storefronts offering the game in any accessible manner, so there won't be an accessible way of legally installing S3AIR anymore. The best option being considered right now is to find a way to use Origins instead of the S3K rom, but that does come with a significant price bump that would make AIR much less accessible.

Oh jeez, I totally forgot about that. That actually puts the delisting into perspective. It's entirely possible that modding of Steam titles could be seen as competition for Origins; unlisting the titles would certainly be a method of silently removing those options without handing out lawsuits.

Oh jeez, I totally forgot about that. That actually puts the delisting into perspective. It's entirely possible that modding of Steam titles could be seen as competition for Origins; unlisting the titles would certainly be a method of silently removing those options without handing out lawsuits.
Yeah that's one of the speculations going around. Another speculation is that SEGA doesn't have confidence in the game to be able to compete with the originals on the same storefront, and are removing them to force people to pay for the Origins price to play the games rather than the much cheaper alternative. Personally, I'd like to believe that they simply just want people to experience the games in as "definitive" a version as possible, but whatever the reason is on their end it's certainly having some negative consequences attached to it.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back