What are your thoughts on Sonic Origins?

SpongeSonicGuy(?)

You're buttery.
Say your good, and your bad.

I have mixed feelings about it. I love it because of how good it looks (SONIC CD R2 IS HERE), but I also hate the fact that there's only a digital, and also the dlc is just shit that should be in the vanilla game.

I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe on Steam. A bit annoyed by the price but otherwise I'm pretty excited. I know a lot of people are mad about Denuvo but personally, it's obviously going to get patched out before too long anyway so I'm not super worried about it.

I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe on Steam. A bit annoyed by the price but otherwise I'm pretty excited. I know a lot of people are mad about Denuvo but personally, it's obviously going to get patched out before too long anyway so I'm not super worried about it.
Same and same. (Except for the pre-order part at the time of this post)

I just don't seem to give a shit about Denuvo in general.

After watching the trailer, it just made me ask myself "Do we really need yet another way to play Sonic 1?" I mean it looks great, don't get me wrong, hell Sonic 3 & Knuckles is there, that hardly ever gets rereleased! It's just that I think we've already got enough ports of Sonic 1 and 2. There's already multiple ports of sonic 1 and 2 on the Nintendo Switch alone! There's the SEGA AGES ports of Sonic 1 and 2, the Sega Genesis Classics Collection which contains both Sonic 1 and 2, plus 3D Blast and Spinball, and not to mention Sonic 2 was part of the starting lineup in the Sega Genesis library for Nintendo Switch Online.

The games pricing structure is shit and borders on EA levels of scummy, locking gameplay features and stuff that should be in the base game behind a paywall.

Oh and weren't Sonic 1, 2, and CD already remastered by Christian Whitehead for mobile?

Oh and weren't Sonic 1, 2, and CD already remastered by Christian Whitehead for mobile?
Exactly why those ports were called the 'Taxman and Stealth' ports of the games, which is what we get in Origins, but at least we're finally getting the Sonic 3 & Knuckles port.

Not too excited,

Yes its cool that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is officially getting re-released and the mission mode is a nice addition to spice up the replayablity of the collection but for me i really wished there was more to compensate for the price presented.

To me, i think this collection came way too late as we do have the free versions of the games in question by the community which is just makes me feel sad.

Maybe in the future i will purchase it when its on sale but definitely not on release.

After watching the trailer, it just made me ask myself "Do we really need yet another way to play Sonic 1?" I mean it looks great, don't get me wrong, hell Sonic 3 & Knuckles is there, that hardly ever gets rereleased! It's just that I think we've already got enough ports of Sonic 1 and 2. There's already multiple ports of sonic 1 and 2 on the Nintendo Switch alone! There's the SEGA AGES ports of Sonic 1 and 2, the Sega Genesis Classics Collection which contains both Sonic 1 and 2, plus 3D Blast and Spinball, and not to mention Sonic 2 was part of the starting lineup in the Sega Genesis library for Nintendo Switch Online.

The games pricing structure is shit and borders on EA levels of scummy, locking gameplay features and stuff that should be in the base game behind a paywall.

The versions included in Origins are the Taxman and Stealth remakes for mobile you mentioned earlier, which is significant due to them being remade from the ground up, means:
  • widescreen support for all the games
  • graphical improvements all over the place (fixed corridors in CPZ, actual rotating checkerball in the GHZ boss, smoother rotations on several objects
  • Both soundtracks of Sonic CD that can be toggled (I assume, I'm not sure if CD is actually going to be 1:1 with the taxman remake or if it's another adaptation
  • Hidden Palace Zone
  • Several new features to toy around with through debug such as the goggle monitor and Special Stage builder in Sonic 1
Including Sonic 1 is basically a formality but FINALLY having a way to play the T&S remakes on basically all major platforms has been a long time coming, getting the T&S remake of Sonic 3K even more so.

Not too excited,

Yes its cool that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is officially getting re-released and the mission mode is a nice addition to spice up the replayablity of the collection but for me i really wished there was more to compensate for the price presented.

To me, i think this collection came way too late as we do have the free versions of the games in question by the community which is just makes me feel sad.

Maybe in the future i will purchase it when its on sale but definitely not on release.
Not everyone has the technical know-how for or wants to go through the effort of setting up said versions to work on their device of choice. Switch users especially struggle due to lacking any way to properly put these games on their system because of homebrew being so difficult. For many people this will be an easy way to just install and play the definitive official versions of the classic sonic quadrilogy.

Sonic Origins is 4 games you can already play for free with some extra content and Denuvo stapled on for $40+.

They really fucked up waiting this long after S3AIR happened to do this. I might buy it if they kill the DRM, but not for $40+.

What happened to Sonic Origins Nintendo Switch? I don't have or plan on getting a steam deck so I can't play portably without the switch port. And I don't want to spend slightly more money for start dash pack if I can't pre-order before 6/23.

I emulate the classic trilogy on RetroArch, and I'm mostly preoccupied with SRB2 when it comes to sonic stuff, Sonic Origins seems interesting, but I'm not particularly interested in it at the moment.

Sonic Origins is 4 games you can already play for free with some extra content and Denuvo stapled on for $40+.

They really fucked up waiting this long after S3AIR happened to do this. I might buy it if they kill the DRM, but not for $40+.
that's the pc version
Console versions don't have denuvo. Fans have been demanding the Stealth Tax versions of these games over and over for years now. And quite frankly, even though I can play 3 of them for free, I rather not use a phone, I rather not use a phone emulator, I want the new paths in Sonic 1 for tails and Knuckles (that no rom hack has ever replicated), I want the new animated cutscenes, I want to not have ads get in my way while playing or appear on my pause screen.

Sonic Origins is something I support, base package wise. Though for the DLC, I'm going to use my club nintendo gold coins.

I don't even mind the $45 price tag considering that this is much more than a straight port of all four games, but the way they set up the DLC package and pricing structure is incredibly silly. Also the insistence on using Denuvo is extremely disrespectful and consumer-hostile.

Say your good, and your bad.

I have mixed feelings about it. I love it because of how good it looks (SONIC CD R2 IS HERE), but I also hate the fact that there's only a digital, and also the dlc is just shit that should be in the vanilla game.
R2? i dont remember seeing R2 in the trailer

The announcement of the original games being delisted has even thrust doubt onto the future of S3AIR, which is currently the best way to play 3&K on PC. Currently it requires a Steam copy of 3&K, which is pretty cheap. Once 3&K is off Steam, there's not really any other storefronts offering the game in any accessible manner, so there won't be an accessible way of legally installing S3AIR anymore. The best option being considered right now is to find a way to use Origins instead of the S3K rom, but that does come with a significant price bump that would make AIR much less accessible.

And that's in addition to all the games preservationist arguments you can think of, which is certainly I have a grievance with regarding the delisting. This is going to make it harder to legally play the original games on PC for people who don't yet own it, as well as their romhacks.

This whole thing is certainly turning into a huge mess. I really hope the release itself doesn't embarrass the situation any further. Between the high price, weird DLC packs, original games getting delisted, etc. We really need all the good news we can get.

R2? i dont remember seeing R2 in the trailer
Look in the part in Sonic CD with Tails. There's a "new" level which is actually just R2 (Relic Ruins).
Post automatically merged:

The announcement of the original games being delisted has even thrust doubt onto the future of S3AIR, which is currently the best way to play 3&K on PC. Currently it requires a Steam copy of 3&K, which is pretty cheap. Once 3&K is off Steam, there's not really any other storefronts offering the game in any accessible manner, so there won't be an accessible way of legally installing S3AIR anymore. The best option being considered right now is to find a way to use Origins instead of the S3K rom, but that does come with a significant price bump that would make AIR much less accessible.

And that's in addition to all the games preservationist arguments you can think of, which is certainly I have a grievance with regarding the delisting. This is going to make it harder to legally play the original games on PC for people who don't yet own it, as well as their romhacks.

This whole thing is certainly turning into a huge mess. I really hope the release itself doesn't embarrass the situation any further. Between the high price, weird DLC packs, original games getting delisted, etc. We really need all the good news we can get.
I actually sent a letter to Customer Service at SEGA of America saying that I have a few suggestions to Origins (albeit getting no response at the time).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back